Pocket Query on Magellan Explorist 610C

Unseenwings

I recently joined as a premium member and created a PQ to locate caches. Link was emailed to me as 1000 records. Returned to site and found list - however I can't seem to load the full list in one swoop into my GPS. I tried a few differrent ways:

1) Selected check all and then download file - then dragged resulting file onto Geocache folder on unit

2) Selected check all and then download file - then dragged resulting file onto Waypoint folder on unit

3) Selected check all and the clicked the transfer to GPS icon - this resulted in getting only first page of caches

4) Went page by page, clicked select all and then clicked on transfer to GPS - this resulted in getting 59 caches of 1000?

5) Opened individual cache and selected transfer to GPS - it worked for the 3 I tried

Hopefully I can transfer all 1000 records at one time - it would be a nightmare to have to do each individually!

I do not use this unit, but the Explorist 610 is designed to accept GPX files. Did you you go to the "Pocket Queries Ready to be Downloaded" tab and download the file that is there? I click on the name of the file to save it to my pc first, but you could also open the zipped file directly. Then did you unzip the gpx file before you transferred it to the unit? If it is still "zipped" the unit will probably not recognize it.

There is no need to deal with a list of caches on this site - you want to download the gpx file that contains the list and make sure that is the file that is being transferred.

Edited by geodarts

Your looking at the preview and not the Download.

At the PQ Page go to the PQ Ready To Download Tab and you'll find the download available there. This will download the PQ to your system. From there you will need to unzip the file to extract the 2 .gpx files that make up the PQ. One file has all teh cache data and coords the other file contains the additional waypoints for the caches like parking locations and trail heads. Once you have them unzipped you can connect your GPSr to your PS. It will be recognized as a drive. So navigate to the Geocaching folder on the unit then drop the .gpx files into the folder and your ready to go.

Edited by mpilchfamily

Your looking at the preview and not the Download.

At the PQ Page go to the PQ Ready To Download Tab and you'll find the download available there. This will download the PQ to your system. From there you will need to unzip the file to extract the 2 .gpx files that make up the PQ. One file has all teh cache data and coords the other file contains the additional waypoints for the caches like parking locations and trail heads. Once you have them unzipped you can connect your GPSr to your PS. It will be recognized as a drive. So navigate to the Geocaching folder on the unit then drop the .gpx files into the folder and your ready to go.

OK I have located the "Download Tab" and downloaded a 967kb file called "7638022_MultiCacheHome&lt". However once I saved it to my desktop, the properties shows it is format "File" and not a zip or gpx file. Needless to say, can't unzip to get the 2 gpx files you mentioned. Any ideas? I tried clicking & dragging the "7638022.." file to my unit but no geocaches show.

OK I have located the "Download Tab" and downloaded a 967kb file called "7638022_MultiCacheHome&lt". However once I saved it to my desktop, the properties shows it is format "File" and not a zip or gpx file. Needless to say, can't unzip to get the 2 gpx files you mentioned. Any ideas? I tried clicking & dragging the "7638022.." file to my unit but no geocaches show.

You may have picked an odd name for the PQ and that may cause the download to give you an odd file name (without extension). In any case, you can always just rename the file and add that .zip extension to its name. That will allow you to unzip it and get those GPXs out.

You may have picked an odd name for the PQ and that may cause the download to give you an odd file name (without extension). In any case, you can always just rename the file and add that .zip extension to its name. That will allow you to unzip it and get those GPXs out.

SUCCESS!!!

Ok seems I made a few errors (listing for the benefit of other newbies!)

1) Must be using the donwlad tab for the PQ (At the PQ Page go to the PQ Ready To Download Tab and you'll find the download available there).

2) Watch the naming of the PQ when you create it - I had used the <=2 in my title and thus when I downloaded it it never created a zip file

3) I went back to my PQ and renamed the query to remove the <=2 in my title and presto...zip file downloaded,click and dragged to my GPS unit and WHAM - 1000 geocaches!

Thank you all for your help - I was getting so frustrated as the steps seemed so simple...but a few sidesteps and it wasn't working!

SUCCESS!!!

1) Must be using the donwlad tab for the PQ (At the PQ Page go to the PQ Ready To Download Tab and you'll find the download available there).

2) Watch the naming of the PQ when you create it - I had used the <=2 in my title and thus when I downloaded it it never created a zip file

3) I went back to my PQ and renamed the query to remove the <=2 in my title and presto...zip file downloaded,click and dragged to my GPS unit and WHAM - 1000 geocaches!

Thank you all for your help - I was getting so frustrated as the steps seemed so simple...but a few sidesteps and it wasn't working!

When you hit the reply button to get the quote of the person you want to respond to go ahead and type your response under the quoted selection. There is no need to create one post for the quote and one post for your response.

SUCCESS!!!

When you hit the reply button to get the quote of the person you want to respond to go ahead and type your response under the quoted selection. There is no need to create one post for the quote and one post for your response.

HOW DO I DELETE THOSE MESSY POSTS?

SUCCESS!!!

HOW DO I DELETE THOSE MESSY POSTS?

You can't delete them, but you can Edit them.

Most of us usually remove the excess and add "Double Post" or Whoops! in them. :laughing:

Edited by Bear and Ragged

The easiest and best way to download pocket queries to a Magellan unit is to use their software "VantagePoint"; VantagePoint software. Once you install it connect your GPSr unit to your computer and launch VantagePoint; link to the user's manual. There is a button towards the top of the screen that allows you to login to your geocaching account and then you can select which pocket queries to download. Note, you first have to make sure that that pocket querie is set to run first. Once vantagepoint downloads the pocket querie you can transfer it to your magellan unit. While it is transferring the geocaching it will also download any images associated with the cache and the attributes. If you need any more help on the software please let me know.