What makes it a geocoin?

AtwellFamily

No.

The recent UK Mega in Wales had a 'coin' made out of slate.

feathers.jpg

http://www.megawales.co.uk/coins.html

You should take a read of the pinned thread by Eartha at the top of the page:

Geocoin and Trackable Minting, Geocoin Reference, Shipping, Activating, Adopting, Shopping, Courtesy, Do's & Don't Guide To Geocoins & FAQs!

If you are wanting to make your own coins, the design does need to be approved by Groundspeak.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Does it have to be metal stamped or die cast?

:blink:

I'm pretty sure your question is what is our personal opinion on the matter? The line between track-able coins and other items are getting blurred with the leather/wood/slate items and other handmade trackables. Personally I prefer my geocoins to be metal myself even tho I do have some clay/slate "geocoins" in my collection. I think the name "geocoin" is being used to describe these items because a different term for them hasn't been accepted by the geocaching community as yet. :D

If you are wanting to make your own coins, the design does need to be approved by Groundspeak.

:drama:

Aren't the new translucent stained glass like coins made from acrylic or some other plastic?

I agree the term Geocoin has become any trackable item that isn't an official travel bug. But i believe that a Goecoin should be more defined. They should be made of metal, no less then 1mm thick. Maybe 1.5mm would be a better minimum thickness. I don't think shape should matter much. But anything under 1mm should be considered a tag. Sure the ones made from plastics, slate, wood, leather and other odd materials can be considered coin. I just don't know if we should have another designation for them. But i guess we could call them Geotags, GeoTokens. Cache Tags, Cache Tokens, or Travel Tokens.

I'm assuming you are asking our own opinion also. I guess I am of the old school if there is such a thing. To me a coin is round metal. Some of the other shaped metal trackable objects that are discussed in this forum to me are pretty tokens. Not saying I don't like them it's just that they seem more like medallions or sometimes bling more than a coin. I like the weight and thickness also so a tag doesn't do it for me. And of course a "geo"coin should be related to geocaching but that is a whole other thread :laughing: :laughing: Kaelia where are you? :P

I bet Mike doesn't want to jump in there......