unit with specific features?

medwardl

anyone know of a handheld unit that can also do turn by turn road directions and has a sdhc slot for expansion? I'm not sure if they have gotten to the point yet where they have combined an outdoor and a road gps unit. I had gotten a Magellan Triton 300 but it was way too limited didn't even have an sd slot in it so i got rid of it now i want to get another unit before next season but first to figure out if there is a unit with all the features i want.

anyone know of a handheld unit that can also do turn by turn road directions and has a sdhc slot for expansion? I'm not sure if they have gotten to the point yet where they have combined an outdoor and a road gps unit. I had gotten a Magellan Triton 300 but it was way too limited didn't even have an sd slot in it so i got rid of it now i want to get another unit before next season but first to figure out if there is a unit with all the features i want.

You need to be careful to buy a unit that has the capability to expand what you what to expand. Typical Garmin units that have card slots allow you to expand points of interest and map memory, but have no effect on the device's maximum capacity for waypoints.

anyone know of a handheld unit that can also do turn by turn road directions and has a sdhc slot for expansion?

If you want spoken turn by turn directions, that's going to be an issue. If you're only looking for one that does a 'beep' notification for turns, many recent Garmin units have that capability with a uSD slot for maps. The trick is finding something with a screen big enough to really see, and that may depend a bit on the quality of your eyeballs or use of glasses!

The Montana has the largest screen of the recently released handhelds. Some find an Oregon 450 has a big enough screen. I still prefer a dedicated automotive nav unit with a big screen.

To "get all the features you want" I'd say buy two devices -- one for the car and one for the great outdoors.

Many modern outdoor/handheld GPSRs can do turn-by-turn directions, though on a small screen and without spoken directions. And some meant primarily meant for auto navigation (with larger screens and spoken directions) can also be used for geocaching, though you'll be picking over trade-offs in size/weight/ruggedness/battery life.

What's your price range? What's your intended mix of use? Mostly road navigation? Mostly outdoors? Geocaching only, or a significant part of your time on other outdoor activities (cycling, hiking, urban exploring, kayaking, etc)?

To "get all the features you want" I'd say buy two devices -- one for the car and one for the great outdoors.

Many modern outdoor/handheld GPSRs can do turn-by-turn directions, though on a small screen and without spoken directions.

I agree with the quote.

Regardless, of the DeLorme PN-60's turn-by-turn guidance capabilities, I don't use it going through urban areas on interstate highways. Fortunately, I have a factory installed GPS/NAV unit in my dash with and electronic lady providing voice guidance.

I would be using it mainly for geocaching the turn by turn directions would be for getting close to the target as most of the caches i go after are in the country side so two units might be best. the most important feature for me would be memory because i would like to be able to fit the whole state of new york from not very detailed to about as detailed as you can get in a topo map. Not sure if you can get any unit with that much memory or expansion. I wouldn't mind going up to 300 dollars as i have plenty of time before next season to save up for a good unit. And the Montana does look nice.

Edited by medwardl

I have an Endura Safari with Turn-by-turn that has voice directions and you can choose between map view or a directions list. You can switch between the map card and topo card. I have been happy with their technology and now with the latest software upgrade, I am a huge fan. It has full paperless caching capability, a slot for a micro HD card and logging fieldnotes is easy. I saw it recently Amazon for $196. (map card is separate). I paid alot more that that 1 year ago. I also have a Sierra and love it as well, but it is more spendy.