El Camino de Santiago

pppingme

Has anyone ever walked (and cached) the Camino de Santiago?

I started researching this and was surprised to not find anyone had saved a route or anything (at least that I could find).

Does anyone have a .kml or .gpx of the route that they can share?

If you have, share your experience!

I started researching this and was surprised to not find anyone had saved a route or anything (at least that I could find).

Is that the crazy mountain trail to the old dam. The one with all the missing tread and you have to clamp on to a cable to keep from falling to your death? I would love to have a GPX track of that.

That's like the foot version of the IRT "El camino de la muerte".

Nope; El Camino de Santiago is a journey that ends at the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela in northwestern Spain. In medieval times, pilgrims walked the entire distance from their home to Santiago de Compostela, aiming to arrive on or before July 25 (St. James day).

The most traveled section starts at the French/Spanish border and has a length of about 800 km. Link here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Way_of_St._James_%28route_descriptions%29

The crazy mountain trail to the old dam is "El Camino del Rey". Link here:

Edited by Dj Storm

Here is a link to a website with coordinates. You will have to use google translator to translate the site.

http://www.turismocastillayleon.com/cm/jacobeo/tkContent?pgseed=1331089935252&idContent=549541&locale=es_ES&textOnly=false

I walked the Camino de Santiago in preGPS days. We started in Leon and ended up, of course, in Santiago. I think we just used a regular old map. Galicia is beautiful and the route takes you through some wonderful old towns. Looks like they have some caches along the way now. Would be fun to go back with the GPSr. I'd say go for it. It's definitely a trip you'll always remember.