Travel Bugs placed in rarely visited caches

mobywv

i haven't been putting any bugs out yet but i have thought about how that would suck to be the owner and just watch it sit there all the time so i looked up some caches in my area that have bugs and checked the "last visited" date on them. if it's been a while i've been making note and will try to venture out to them sometime soon.

Sometimes, dropping TB's in the less visited caches means the TB's are a little safer, and may encourage cachers to visit the cache...

However, dropping TB's in to a difficult Unknown/Puzzle or a high D/T rated cache should really be given a second thought!

SAFER ?? ........if the TB owner wanted it to be SAFE, he would have kept it at home.

and using someone's TB to LURE cachers to a remote/difficult cache is just WRONG.

if someone wants to lure someone to a cache let them pull a $5 bill out of their own pocket and put it in the cache.

It's all part of the game. There are no guarantees. Uncertainty is fun! The next time the travel bug is picked up if could go 500 feet, half way around the world or be grabbed by a space alien geocacher.

TRUE !!!

we can't prevent :

- coin collecters stealing coins

- coin collectors hoping to steal a coin but only finding a proxy, then destroying the proxy.

- owners or fans of remote/difficult caches using our TBs to lure people to their caches.

so suck it up people and enjoy the game for what it is.

Sometimes, dropping TB's in the less visited caches means the TB's are a little safer, and may encourage cachers to visit the cache...

However, dropping TB's in to a difficult Unknown/Puzzle or a high D/T rated cache should really be given a second thought!

SAFER ?? ........if the TB owner wanted it to be SAFE, he would have kept it at home.

and using someone's TB to LURE cachers to a remote/difficult cache is just WRONG.

if someone wants to lure someone to a cache let them pull a $5 bill out of their own pocket and put it in the cache.

OK, wait until a cacher drops your TB in to the often found cache, that all the local youngsters know about -they've seen many people going to it- and often help themselves to items out of the box.

A less often visited cache is the safer option.

But. As I said, cachers should really think twice before dropping TB's into the rarely visited caches.

And. Ignore "yucww210" all he/she has ever posted is a copy of someone else's comment, or "Well done" "Excellent" and is probably a troll, or worse...

OK, wait until a cacher drops your TB in to the often found cache, that all the local youngsters know about -they've seen many people going to it- and often help themselves to items out of the box.

A less often visited cache is the safer option.

But. As I said, cachers should really think twice before dropping TB's into the rarely visited caches.

And. Ignore "yucww210" all he/she has ever posted is a copy of someone else's comment, or "Well done" "Excellent" and is probably a troll, or worse...

As mentioned it is a gamble...

You place a TB into a regularly visited cache and it stands the chance of being muggled or found by newbies and lost, but you also have a high chance of it being moved on pretty quickly.

You place a TB into a tricky or remote cache and it is going to be pretty safe from unwanted attention, but is going to take a lot, lot longer before it moves anywhere...

What you want is to find a happy medium that suits you where you can balance the risk of having it captured versus travelling. Then again, once it is out in the wild it is at the mercy of whoever finds it, so you can only hope they put some thought into it too...

i haven't been putting any bugs out yet but i have thought about how that would suck to be the owner and just watch it sit there all the time so i looked up some caches in my area that have bugs and checked the "last visited" date on them. if it's been a while i've been making note and will try to venture out to them sometime soon.

BRAVO !!

this is a GREAT idea !!

BRAVO !!

this is a GREAT idea !!

The problem is, if a bugs been 'Sitting there awhile' it may no longer be there.

Muggled, taken by a new cacher who doesn't know what to do/has got fed up with cacheing, never actually dropped there (someone used a number from a posted dog tag photo) or any other reason...

One way to get stuck travelbugs/geocoins to move again is to post them on www.tb-rescue.com - if it turns out the tb is gone you get a notice of that too. You may then move it on the travelbug graveyard here at geocaching.com

Personally I don't mind my tb's to be in rarely visited caches (unless they have a mission to keep moving 'fast' obviously), it is all part of the game. In fact I like rarely visited caches, the more rare the better. On many of my caching trips I look for caches that have not been visited since 6months or more. If I find a tb/gc I usually pick it up to move it. Today I dropped one of my gc's in a cache that I know will most likely not see any next visitor in 3 months or more. That's fine with me.

I really do wish folks would stop placing travel bugs in caches that are lucky to be visited once or twice a year. I've had a special travel bug of mine stuck in a puzzle cache for nearly 10 months now.

If people want their TBs never in low-visit caches, the TBs need to have that info as their mission. And an attacked tag mentioning that. That's not 100% effective, but it's the thing you must do.

As for yours (I'm guessing you mean Punkie's TB), you may have to be patient. Looks like it's a 12 mile hike, and parts of Colorado gave gotten snow already. It's a rather low-rated cache, so maybe go even lower on future TBs' missions. Something like "Place in difficulty X or less with hikes less than Y miles". This may prevent it from languishing in a distant cache, but as mentioned, you'll still sometimes not hear from it for long periods of time.

Edited by kunarion

I've only moved along 3 bugs but the first one I did was placed into a visitor center cache in a huge tourism area in TN. It sat for probably 1 day (if that) and then moved to Texas, where it has been sitting since august 16. I would imagine that rest areas and visitor centers would yield these kind of results as a general rule.