Geocaching.com site update October 6th 2011

Another update, another thing that no longer works on my work pc. Now the larger map on each cache page is totally blank. Fortunately, I still have the ability to click on it, get the large beta map (still with no caches showing) and can go back to the old map that drops me into Seattle, so I can then move to my area. What a pita.

• Now properly resizing avatars for display on cache pages; quality and page load performance increased

• Added a new setting to account settings that turns off avatar display on cache pages

The avatars can be turned off on the cache page but are still there on the logbook view and the your logs and friends log pages.

Now the larger map on each cache page is totally blank.

That's been happening (intermittently) to me for quite a while. Different OSes (XP, 7 Pro, 7 Home Premium), different ISPs. I've only tried Firefox. The big map is usually a big white box, but always shows up when I click "View Dynamic Map".

Now the larger map on each cache page is totally blank.

That's been happening (intermittently) to me for quite a while. Different OSes (XP, 7 Pro, 7 Home Premium), different ISPs. I've only tried Firefox. The big map is usually a big white box, but always shows up when I click "View Dynamic Map".

This has been happening to me since the September 15 update. Usually it happens after clicking a link on the page - such as "View Logbook", and then after clicking back to the cache page, the map has disappeared. It is consistent and even after refreshing the page, the map does not appear. I use Firefox and Opera on OS X and Windows and it occurs in each case.

6wPEg.png Certitude

Just visited the page and... well... it's pretty ugly if you ask me... have nothing to do with the presention of geocaching.com and you worked so hard lately to improve on this. Oh well.

Have you tried to get in touch with any websites already offering the service?

I only have one puzzle cache that require validation and I choose http://geocheck.org/ for it.

This has been around for years. I have been using geocheck but now I have been using this. I love how you can see who solved it and you can hide hints only the solver can see it after it has been checked. Many other things it can do that I haven't tried yet.

Edited by jellis
6wPEg.png Certitude

Just visited the page and... well... it's pretty ugly if you ask me... have nothing to do with the presention of geocaching.com and you worked so hard lately to improve on this. Oh well.

I only have one puzzle cache that require validation and I choose http://geocheck.org/ for it.

This has been around for years. I have been using geocheck but now I have been using this. I love how you can see who solved it and you can hide hints only the solver can see it after it has been checked. Many other things it can do that I haven't tried yet.

Where do I find the link to Certitude when creating a puzzle?

6wPEg.png Certitude

As others have mentioned, Certitude has been around for a while. What's new is the site's use of the Geocaching Live API.

But with Certitude, I can just copy-paste my solution into the input field. With GeoCheck, I have to copy-paste pieces of my solution into 6 separate input fields. That's a huge usability win for Certitude, IMHO. (Even better, Certitude's simple layout doesn't break or force horizontal scrolling in my browser.)

Some avatars, such as mine, no longer show up as full size in the forums.

Mine suddenly had a black border on 3 sides. Yuck. That wasn't there before.

88b1b9af-f68b-44a0-a790-77d04835c358.jpg

Gave me the excuse I needed to redesign it. 75x75 it says, okay, I'll make it exactly that. (Then I see the system shrinks it to 48x48 in the cache logs, which I'm pretty sure is smaller than it used to be. What do you think this is, the comics in a newspaper?)

Edited by Viajero Perdido

But with Certitude, I can just copy-paste my solution into the input field. With GeoCheck, I have to copy-paste pieces of my solution into 6 separate input fields.

You can have 1 field with GeoCheck - just click the "1 field" button :)

Ah, I never noticed that before. Of course, first NoScript users have to whitelist GeoCheck...

I can't download pocket query. Today I have got mail notice that PQ is ready for download. But there is no PQ available in the list!

I've had a similar thing happen today.

2 of my PQ's that claim to have run today didn't update the files to be downloaded. When I download them, I am getting exactly the same PQ information that they had last time. I noticed this because I check the date that is inside the gpx files and they were the old dates and times. Of course with all the limits on how many and which PQs can be run in a day, I can't try and just run the PQs again. :(

I can't download pocket query. Today I have got mail notice that PQ is ready for download. But there is no PQ available in the list!

I've had a similar thing happen today.

2 of my PQ's that claim to have run today didn't update the files to be downloaded. When I download them, I am getting exactly the same PQ information that they had last time. I noticed this because I check the date that is inside the gpx files and they were the old dates and times. Of course with all the limits on how many and which PQs can be run in a day, I can't try and just run the PQs again. :(

GS is investigating this issue.

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/2315887-pocket-queries-missing-on-download-tab-again

When a user is not signed in the logs are duplicated for at least new caches. As this may be the first introduction to geocaching.com for a new cacher it needs to be fixed- first impressions count! (And please please fix all bugs before doing any new enhancements!) Random example GC36J3Z viewed in Firefox - note that you will not see the bug if logged in.

When a user is not signed in the logs are duplicated for at least new caches. As this may be the first introduction to geocaching.com for a new cacher it needs to be fixed- first impressions count! (And please please fix all bugs before doing any new enhancements!) Random example GC36J3Z viewed in Firefox - note that you will not see the bug if logged in.

known issue