Gloves for caching

Presence

Yes gloves can be a very useful part of your caching gear. I went to my local Army Surplus shop and picked up a cheap pair of Leather gloves. You don't really need anything fancy. Just remember to use your handy flashlight to look into the hole before you go putting your hand in there. The best way to protect from getting your hand bitten by an animal is to see that animal before you attempt to reach for anything. But if you feel you need better snake bite protection get a leather glove with a Kevlar liner.

Im just nervous now that Ive seen a few pictures. Ive been caching, camping, hiking for years without a problem but I guess as I get older I become (well I want to say more responsible but I don't think thats it lol)more afraid of creepy crawlers.

So leather with a kelvar lining is the way to go. MMM Now I need to find a army/navy store near me.Ive been using sticks to poke in holes but I don't think that will scare spiders away.

Thanks for the advice

Nitrile exam gloves

Will these work against snakes as well?

No. Those are just regular latex glove. Like having a balloon on your hand. But you should be looking into a hole with a light and poking around with a stick before reaching in. SO a snake shouldn't be a problem, as long as you take the proper precautions.

I do a lot of bushwhacking, so for me, gloves are mostly just to protect my hands from the pokes and scrapes Momma Nature has laying about out yonder. I recognized that I was unwilling to wear a pair of gloves dense enough to protect my hands from things like snake fangs or used needles, so I just pay attention to where I stick them. I decided that my gloves should be comfortable enough to wear for extended trips through the bush, and pliable enough that I can open even the smallest cache without removing them. After trying on several pair, I opted for a pair of Mechanix gloves.

...After trying on several pair, I opted for a pair of Mechanix gloves.

+1

I love my Mechanix gloves.

Another vote for the Mechanix gloves. I love mine. I use a pair for climbing/rappelling, a pair for yard work, a pair for hunting, and a pair for caching in the bushes. I don't know of many reasonable pairs of gloves that will save you from a snake bite, but spiders and bushes won't be a problem anymore.

Here's the pair that I use:

26-8111.jpg

This won't protect you against snake bites, but it will protect you against sharp metal.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003DZ02MA/

There is a rating for protection gloves - EN388. The 4 numbers following that are abrasion, cut, tear, and puncture resistance. They're all rated 1 - 4 where 4 is highest protection, except for cut resistance which is rated 1 - 5.

You can google for EN388 if you want all the dry details on what each level means.

If you really want protection from snake bites from a glove, look for one specifically. Like this. I'd take the stick + light approach and not stick my hands into a hole blindly.

I'd take the stick + light approach and not stick my hands into a hole blindly.

Heh, yeah...you can get a lot of really good sticks and flashlights for $323. :lol:

For $323 I can probably pay someone to stick their hand in there instead :lol:

I used to have my "sticky stick" in my pack, to poke in places before deploying hands. It's misplaced somewhere, but a hiking or walking stick usually goes in the locations of questionable safety. Prodded a couple rattlers with my Tasmanian Blue Gum hiking stick and it's none the worse for wear. :anibad:

Cracker's Rules of Hiking: Number 3-LOOK BEFORE YOU SIT, STEP OR TOUCH! Saves all manner of ouchfulness. I wear the 6 dollar nitrile-coated utility gloves you can get from any old hardware store. They offer really good grippiness, but they're still really flexible and let me stay dexterous. Like others have said, I use them more as protection against thorns and other spiky stuff than against being bitten by critters.