Cache "stats" while using a GPS?

ajpulido

as a newbie i hope this isn't a dumb question. i have been geocaching for only a week now and have been using the geocaching app for my iphone. today a friend let me borrow their gps to see if i liked it. i liked the accuracy of the gps but when i use my iphone i can see the size and hints and descriptions of the cache. i can't imagine how people can just walk up to a location and not know what they are looking for! haha. maybe you just get better with time...but when you are using a gps device...do most people write down the info for the cache or do they just go in blind and start looking?

as a newbie i hope this isn't a dumb question. i have been geocaching for only a week now and have been using the geocaching app for my iphone. today a friend let me borrow their gps to see if i liked it. i liked the accuracy of the gps but when i use my iphone i can see the size and hints and descriptions of the cache. i can't imagine how people can just walk up to a location and not know what they are looking for! haha. maybe you just get better with time...but when you are using a gps device...do most people write down the info for the cache or do they just go in blind and start looking?

Welll I use a Paperless GPS and I get all the info you mentioned on my Delorme PN-60 I don't always use it but its there for the tough ones. I use to use a Garmin personal 12 and I just kept a note book with the hints and other info I will say this your phone may be just as good but are you willing to drop it on some rocky trail, muddy area, or a creek? If you want to keep using it get a pelican case for it. Tim2

today a friend let me borrow their gps to see if i liked it.

and what GPS was that?

it was a Garmin eTrex Venture. i was just trying it out so i didn't go crazy with it. i don't know if there is a way to get all the info on a cache onto that type of GPS. i did like using it though. I was thinking about getting the Magellan eXplorist that is exclusively for geocaching.

Welll I use a Paperless GPS and I get all the info you mentioned on my Delorme PN-60 I don't always use it but its there for the tough ones. I use to use a Garmin personal 12 and I just kept a note book with the hints and other info I will say this your phone may be just as good but are you willing to drop it on some rocky trail, muddy area, or a creek? If you want to keep using it get a pelican case for it. Tim2

I'll have to look up the Delorme. I haven't heard of that one yet. I was using the GPS to find the location and then i would get out my phone and look up descriptions and things. I had a death grip on my phone the whole time. I didn't want to drop it. Haha. That's why I would love to get a nice GPS with all the info on it.

Multi or Mystery caches probably would be better if you read the cache page first. After you get comfortable with caching, trying to find caches without the details it might not be as hard as you think.

Your friend's GPS receiver doesn't have the ability to store geocache descriptions, logs, hints, etc. Quite a few models these days are able to do that. The feature is called "paperless geocaching."

People who don't have GPSrs with that feature either use a PDA/smartphone in conjunction with the GPSr, or they print out the cache information before they leave home.