Micro SD card with Garmin etrex legend hcx

Have searched archives with limited luck as sd is two characters so apols if asking newbie question that's already been answered a gazillion times...

I have a garmin etrex legend hcx which I have put an 8GB micro sd card in to in the hope that I can download oodles of caches on to it and not have to worry about synching my device with a pocket query each time I go to a new area (I travel a lot). However I cannot seem to get the garmin to recognise there is a card in there and can only transfer 1000 caches to the device before it says the way point memory is full. I have searched the online and paper instructions but can't figure it out. If anyone could help I would be eternally grateful :)

Becka

I hope you are not disappointed with the reply, but I believe that you have a GPS that will only handle 1000 Geocaches at a time.

Some folks work around this by loading multiple GPX files to the SD card and then rename them on the card. Later using a phone or other compatible device the files can be manipulated or renamed to gain access to a different .gpx file.

Others are doing things with the POI capabilities but even that has limitations that are somewhat inconvenient.

I know that does not help you much, but you have a GPS that has limited capabilities as it relates to the number of Geocaches or Waypoints that it can handle.

Could be your HCx won't recognize the card because it's too big. I know some electronics (phones, etc) limit the size to 2 or 4GB, for whatever reason...if that's why it won't recognize the card, a "simple" solution would be to purchase several smaller memory cards...then take a small pouch for the cards along with you in your travels, as well as (preferably) marked cards so you know what area each card has on it.

I haven't used my HCx for quite awhile...and when I did, I used the card slot for a map, then just had the caches on the unit's memory.

Have searched archives with limited luck as sd is two characters so apols if asking newbie question that's already been answered a gazillion times...

I have a garmin etrex legend hcx which I have put an 8GB micro sd card in to in the hope that I can download oodles of caches on to it and not have to worry about synching my device with a pocket query each time I go to a new area (I travel a lot). However I cannot seem to get the garmin to recognise there is a card in there and can only transfer 1000 caches to the device before it says the way point memory is full. I have searched the online and paper instructions but can't figure it out. If anyone could help I would be eternally grateful :)

Becka

The Etrex Legend HCx does not store cache data in the SD card. The cache data is stored in the fixed internal memory. Your nice new shiny SD card can be used to store maps and tracks. If your a GSAK user there are some macros that allow for limited cache data to be stored as POI files that also are stored on the SD card. But for more caches? nope.

Don't feed it anything bigger than a 2GB Micro-SD, the device is not 'SD-HC' capable.

You can feed the card maps though Mapsource, (I presently have the stock Topo-2008, IBYCUS-USA 2.1 for the north-east, and several trail maps, all saved to a .IMG file).. otherwise, the GPSr will save track data on a daily basis. (yyyymmdd.gpx) otherwise, nothing else used for the memory card..

If you have the GPS connected to your computer, go to set-up, interface, and click the joy-button once more, and it turns the GPSr into a reader for the SD card. (which will give you access to the .img file, and the stored .gpx record files.)

I hope you are not disappointed with the reply, but I believe that you have a GPS that will only handle 1000 Geocaches at a time.

Some folks work around this by loading multiple GPX files to the SD card and then rename them on the card. Later using a phone or other compatible device the files can be manipulated or renamed to gain access to a different .gpx file.

Others are doing things with the POI capabilities but even that has limitations that are somewhat inconvenient.

I know that does not help you much, but you have a GPS that has limited capabilities as it relates to the number of Geocaches or Waypoints that it can handle.

I am not disappointed with your reply, no, cos it explains exactly why I can't do what I wanted. D'oh. Time to find a device that allows more than 1000 caches I feel...! Thank you :) At least I know now and can keep transferring data to and from base camp in the interim. Any recommendations for devices that aren't as limited appreciated (and yes I am going to go and do some more research now!).

Becka

Could be your HCx won't recognize the card because it's too big. I know some electronics (phones, etc) limit the size to 2 or 4GB, for whatever reason...if that's why it won't recognize the card, a "simple" solution would be to purchase several smaller memory cards...then take a small pouch for the cards along with you in your travels, as well as (preferably) marked cards so you know what area each card has on it.

I haven't used my HCx for quite awhile...and when I did, I used the card slot for a map, then just had the caches on the unit's memory.

Thanks for the reply. The response above explains it perfectly - I have a device which is limited. Ho hum. Will loads maps on to the SD card instead then (and get a smaller one and use the 8GB in my phone!).

The Etrex Legend HCx does not store cache data in the SD card. The cache data is stored in the fixed internal memory. Your nice new shiny SD card can be used to store maps and tracks. If your a GSAK user there are some macros that allow for limited cache data to be stored as POI files that also are stored on the SD card. But for more caches? nope.

Thanks :) I feel like such an idiot for not realising this. Ho hum. I'll just have to transfer everything from BaseCamp each time I move areas. Least I can stop wondering what I am doing wrong now tho!

Don't feed it anything bigger than a 2GB Micro-SD, the device is not 'SD-HC' capable.

You can feed the card maps though Mapsource, (I presently have the stock Topo-2008, IBYCUS-USA 2.1 for the north-east, and several trail maps, all saved to a .IMG file).. otherwise, the GPSr will save track data on a daily basis. (yyyymmdd.gpx) otherwise, nothing else used for the memory card..

If you have the GPS connected to your computer, go to set-up, interface, and click the joy-button once more, and it turns the GPSr into a reader for the SD card. (which will give you access to the .img file, and the stored .gpx record files.)

thanks :) am learning how to figure out some of the extra bits now and will transfer map data to the SD card when I get home.

thanks :) am learning how to figure out some of the extra bits now and will transfer map data to the SD card when I get home.

My Legend HCx has had an 8GB Class 6 Samsung in it for a few weeks now. As long as its formatted in FAT32 it should accept any size. This restricts individual file sizes to less than 4GB however means plenty of room for tracks.

My Legend HCx has had an 8GB Class 6 Samsung in it for a few weeks now. As long as its formatted in FAT32 it should accept any size. This restricts individual file sizes to less than 4GB however means plenty of room for tracks.

Sorry but the Legend HCx is no SD-HC compatible. While you may be able to use a 8GB card in your unit you only have access to 4GB of the card. The unit just doesn't see or know how to access the other 4GB. You can break the card into 2 different partitions if you like but that still wont help. The chip that runs the SD slot doesn't have the address space to see more then 4GB of memory.

Yes really, I used 8gb cards in all my Vista HCx, the GPS can read up to a 4 gb file, but you can't get that on a formatted 4gb card now can you? The GPS can save tracks to the card in the space over the first 4gb and POIs can also be stored there.

Edited by coggins