TB Rules?

rdub29

So I found my first TB. I know I need to find him a new home in 14 days. Is against the 'rules' for me to ship him to another 'cacher to hide. I have the opportunity to hide him in Yellowstone, but it would require me shipping him to a friend. Is this acceptable?

Ryan

The idea behind a TB is for it to travel where it is going by traveling from cache-to-cache.

Mailing (or otherwise sending methods) is not recommended. Things get lost in transit.

Another matter regarding that, is that most TB owners want it to travel via cache placement, not mailing (they could've done that!).

Is it against the "rules"? No. Contact the TB owner and check with them to see if it is OK before you do such a thing. Maybe it would be OK, usually, it isn't.

You don't say whether or not your friend is a geocacher. Past practice has shown (over and over again), NEVER use a non-cacher to use as a medium for a TB -- it almost always falls to disaster.

You may hold a TB longer that 14 days (there is no "rule"), but you certainly should contact the owner to see if holding it for a longer period of time. It is usually acceptable if you have good plans for its' continued travels.

EDIT: speeling, and a re-read reveals your friend to be a cacher -- didn't catch it first time around.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Please refer here:

From the Knowledge Books:

Mailing Trackables to another geocacher:

"There may be occasions when you want to mail a Trackable to a geocacher in another location. Please do not mail any trackable without asking the owner first. Mail services to some places are erratic and/or unreliable. Typically, Trackables should travel from geocache to geocache, or directly from the hands of one geocacher to another.

If you have received a Trackable in the mail, you will want to post a "grab it" logtype rather than "retrieve it" logtype, since you're not retrieving it directly from a geocache. The mileage traveled will show the next time you drop it in a geocache."

MrsB

Yes that is acceceptable. Your friend just needs to "grab" it from you once he/she has the TB code.

Yes and No. Yes it can be done but no you shouldn't do it without first contacting the owner and seeing if they approve. Your not obligated to do this but it is done as a general courtesy to the owner.

True.

Personally I wouldn't do it anyway but the fact is you can do it if you want.

Please refer here:

From the Knowledge Books:

Mailing Trackables to another geocacher:

"There may be occasions when you want to mail a Trackable to a geocacher in another location. Please do not mail any trackable without asking the owner first. Mail services to some places are erratic and/or unreliable. Typically, Trackables should travel from geocache to geocache, or directly from the hands of one geocacher to another.

If you have received a Trackable in the mail, you will want to post a "grab it" logtype rather than "retrieve it" logtype, since you're not retrieving it directly from a geocache. The mileage traveled will show the next time you drop it in a geocache."

MrsB

Thats exactly what I was looking for. Looks like I'll be doin' some huntin' this wknd!

Thanks,

Ryan

Yes that is acceceptable. Your friend just needs to "grab" it from you once he/she has the TB code.

It is acceptable IF you ask the owner first. No reply, don't mail it.

Are there any caches in Yellowstone? There are rules for National Park cache placement, and they can vary.

I was pleasantly surprised at what TB owners are willing to try for their bugs if you drop them a message and ask them what they want done with them. I found one TB that needed to cross the country. I messaged the owner and they are willing to let me hold onto it for (what I consider)quite a long time util I can get it to a Stargate cache, just so it will get back to it's home territory. I have another bug in my possesion that, while after contacting the owner got permission to keep it for an extended length of time, just to snap a very special picture of it at a location I am going to.

Good to hear some info on this; I've got one myself that I am wanting to get moved out of Central Fla. (it originated in NZ, then to the US via the Carolinas I think, then Central Fla.) I want it to move along to another area, instead of just local to local, so I'm thinking of arranging for a cacher that will be traveling via Orlando to grab it from a pre-arranged cache. I'm glad of the mention of asking the owner - I will definitely do that first.

I'm thinking of arranging for a cacher that will be traveling via Orlando to grab it from a pre-arranged cache. I'm glad of the mention of asking the owner - I will definitely do that first.

IMHO.... passing off a TB at a cache is a bad idea. It's better to drop the TB and let it get picked up, than to hope that "Joe" is going to get there in a few days. What happens if I come along and pick it up?

If you want a certain cacher to move it it is far better to give it to them directly so you know they have it.