Immediate Pocket Query

beejay&esskay

OK, I'm new to pocket queries, so forgive me if this has been asked a hundred times...

But since I'm new, I'd like to see a result NOW. I understand that there is a system load issue, which is why they run at night...but could there be an option to ask for a certain number immediately?

Like one a week? Or 5 a month?

So now I'm clearly not understanding...

If I make a new query and schedule it to run on Friday (today), the system sees it, knows it didn't run on Friday, so runs it?

If that's true, if I edit a query scheduled to run today, does it run quickly...or it just with new names?

So would changing the name of a query scheduled for today cause it to run again?

And is this explained anywhere that I should have read before I asked you these questions?

quote:
Originally posted by beejay&esskay:

So now I'm clearly not understanding...

If I make a new query and schedule it to run on Friday (today), the system sees it, knows it didn't run on Friday, so runs it?

If that's true, if I edit a query scheduled to run today, does it run quickly...or it just with new names?

Nope, the system won't let you do an end-run on the queue. Only newly created queries go to the head of the class. Just changing the name, or some parameter won't make it "new".

Also, deleting a PQ doesn't immediately free up a spot to create a new PQ. If, for example, you've got 4 PQs, and you want output of #1 and #2 immediately. So you delete #1, and recreate it. Well, what you've actually done is create #5. The system won't free up the deleted spot until the next day. So now you're maxed out, and won't be able to recreate #2.

I have 3 PQs that run on various days of the week, which always gives me 2 reserves in case I need something returned quickly.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

I think this is still a valid request...and one I've desired for a while.

I travel all over the Chicagoland area for my job, sometimes with only 1 (or less) day notice. It would be nice to plug in an address/coord and get an email back with the results.

I realize there is a system load issue (understandably so), and I understand the "workaround" that has been mentioned. However, the existing method could be improved.

The current method permits only 5 PQ definitions, but each could be run 1 or 7 times a week. This means I could put 1 PQ load per week on the system, or 35 PQs per week on the system.

Maybe a better feature would be: allow someone to create unlimited PQ definitions, but only permit 5 queries per day per user. These queries could be either (a) regularly occuring or (;) on-demand.

This would permit me to create definitions for (1) Home, (2) Office, (3) Mom & Dad, (4) In-Laws, (5-15) Multiple client locations, etc...

I could set up (1) and (2) to generate each twice a week, while (3)-(15) would be generated only as needed--certainly less frequently than even once a week.

Does this make sense?

-r

quote:
Originally posted by eek-a-mouse:

Does this make sense?

-r

Certainly makes sense to me. Although my new PQ's have returned answers in under 2 hours, it would be better if this were made a more defined option.

I don't see using the "every day" option available for PQ's and would certainly like a "run once and soon" option.

Is it known how many people use PQ's and what the average number of PQ's processed a day?

Eek-a-mouse, Warm Fuzzies has his 'bm2gpx' tool that can make GPX files for benchmarks. Check in that forum for details.

mrkablooey, why do you need both GPX and LOC for the same area? Most programs that will read GPX will also read loc and for those that don't, conversion tools like GPSBabel can help. GPX is a total superset of the data in the geocaching.com .loc files, so you shouldn't need both.