Tri-State Peak Benchmark?

Frozin

We found this benchmark at the exact center of the tri-state corners at the Cumberland Gap. I have been wanting to log this find, but cannot seem to match our findings with anything listed on this site. I have added pictures for validation. The first picture shows my daughter standing right between the marker beneath her feet. The second is a close-up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Thanks! Can you help me understand how you found that? We have another one that we located on the way to an outlook in the Cumberland Gap, close to a civil war cannon that we also took a picture of It was on top of a rock that my kids sat by. You can see the raise on the rock right by my son's arm.

Second Benchmark

Second Benchmark 2

My family and I are really interested in learning the aspects these. Teach a man to fish and all that. =)

I have yet to acquire a GPS device, which I know will help me in the future. We are active in letterboxing until I am able to get the funds for a device. What can I do in the meantime to learn how to pinpoint other benchmarks we may come across?

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=GA3593

I saw that the mark was PINNACLE NO 5, which is the 5th reference mark for the triangulation station PINNACLE. While triangulation stations typically only have 2 reference marks, if some are destroyed and new ones set, the new ones are numbered starting from the last used number. I used the advanced search http://www.geocaching.com/mark/nearest.aspx to look for PINNACLE in VA, and found PINNACLE and PINNACLE 2 (and PINNACLES OVERLOOK, which doesn't count). Since there is a PINNACLE 2, I assumed that PINNACLE was not found and replaced by PINNACLE 2, so I looked there first. I later looked at PINNACLE and confirmed that it was replaced by PINNACLE 2 in 1950.

On the advanced search page you can search for benchmarks based on name, zip code, and coordinates.

Probably the easiest way, especially if you don't have a GPS and couldn't quite make out the label on the disk, is to use Google Earth with a Survey marker overlay.

Haven't seen that page before, and it's interesting. This website might be a little easier though, since it doesn't require installing anything, downloading any files, and provides links both to the NGS datasheet and the Geocaching.com page (if it exists) for a benchmark:

http://benchmarks.scaredycatfilms.com/

So this site may be usable on other computers (say hotel computers) where installing software isn't an option.

Thanks! Can you help me understand how you found that? We have another one that we located on the way to an outlook in the Cumberland Gap, close to a civil war cannon that we also took a picture of It was on top of a rock that my kids sat by. You can see the raise on the rock right by my son's arm.

Second Benchmark

Second Benchmark 2

The photo you posted is of reference mark 3 for PINNACLE 2, GA3593. It is not the actual tri-station mark for that PID. The one you needed there is nearby, in a square concrete setting. We just did that one this past weekend, the photos I posted on GA3593 should help.