Hawaiian Gecko Coins

Tank and Spaz

Okay, this is forward as can be, but would like everyone's feedback on this. I have designed at 3" x 3.5mm shaped coin that I am in the process of getting finalized and minted with Oakcoins. There will be a run of 100 to start, with a price of $15. Since I lived and started caching in Hawaii, this will have themes of Hawaii in it. Now my questions are:

Would people be willing to pay $15 for a 3" coin?

Do you prefer a series of the same coin?

Would you like them individually numbered?

What colors and metals would you like to see?

Now, understand that I am still working on the molding part, so I do not have a picture yet, so as soon as I get the proof, I will post it. Feel free to comment away, would like to get an idea of what to expect. Oh, this will be trackable with its own icon.

It's hard for me to answer your questions without actually seeing the artwork. I couldn't pick colors or metals without having some idea of what the coin itself looks like although I do like antique finishes. But for some coins the antiquing works and in others it doesn't. In general I don't pay $15 for a coin but if it is one that really grabs me I would consider it. Individually numbered is nice but if that ups the price then it for sure is not a deal breaker for me. What do you mean by a series? If you mean that the design is used over and over again with color and metal changes then no I'm not real keen on that.

Okay, this is forward as can be, but would like everyone's feedback on this. I have designed at 3" x 3.5mm shaped coin that I am in the process of getting finalized and minted with Oakcoins. There will be a run of 100 to start, with a price of $15. Since I lived and started caching in Hawaii, this will have themes of Hawaii in it. Now my questions are:

Would people be willing to pay $15 for a 3" coin?

Do you prefer a series of the same coin?

Would you like them individually numbered?

What colors and metals would you like to see?

Now, understand that I am still working on the molding part, so I do not have a picture yet, so as soon as I get the proof, I will post it. Feel free to comment away, would like to get an idea of what to expect. Oh, this will be trackable with its own icon.

I don't think $15 for a 3 inch coin is out of line if it’s a really nice design. Have you considered seeing if the design would work just as well in a 2 inch coin? Minting a 3 inch coin as I'm sure you've already found out will be pretty expensive.

I personally like individually numbered coins; I feel they had a little more collectability.

Antique finishes do a great job of bringing out details on a coin, but are more expensive as well.

If you could post the artwork for the coin so we can see the design I'm sure that will help your feedback.

Whether people will pay $15 for a coin depends 100% on the design. As a general rule, that is a bit on the expensive side, so you have a tiny bit of an uphill battle, but I cannot say enough that it depends on the design. You might wonder what people like in a design, it is possible to list things that people seem to like, but art transcends those sort of rules.

About a 3" coin, my feeling is that they should seldom be over 2", but there are definitely exceptions. I have bought several 5" coins and like them very much. I may also design a 5" coin someday, so a 3" coin is definitely not out of the question, but it is slightly problematic since it won't fit in people's binders and Saflips.

I think most collectors like individual numbers. People in the art community often use the format [item number/total number made], e.g. 150/500. Just make sure that it doesn't detract from your design. The edge is always a nice place to put tracking and serial numbers.

About metals, Black nickel is very popular in Europe. Copper also has a strong following everywhere. My own experience in selling is that silver and nickel are not so popular, but the design really dictates what will be best. Everyone likes gold. I have also experienced that everyone likes 2-tone coins.

Some people hate to see lots of different finishes on a coin. My guess is that they have limited budgets and want to own all of the finishes so they get angry that they cannot keep up. When I first started designing coins, I thought that I would limit the finishes to just two or three, but it very quickly became obvious that some people actually like lots of finishes. I now find that I make from three to five finishes at a minimum, because sets of three to five sell well. I also sometimes add finishes later, because I just can't help myself. It has nothing to do with trying to get sales and everything to do with loving the designs. I spend A LOT OF TIME researching and perfecting my designs and they are my babies. After all of the hours spent working, I just want to try lots of finishes, because it is so satisfying from an artistic standpoint.

I'm not as active as I used to be in the coin buying arena but I would say that 3in. is rather unique when it comes to storage and display. I keep my coins in binders or albums and your coin just won't fit. Is there a compelling reason it has to be larger than most? If the design or functionality calls for it so be it but the design better be darned worth the "uniqueness" presented by its size. As for the price.... again, it had better be worth it or it's easily passed over. Sorry for being blunt.

Hawaii13%252520copy.jpg

Here is my design. I am sorry for the copyright text, but it is a necessary evil.

To explain, shaped gecko with all eight hawaiian islands, two hawaiian petroglyphs, and a hibiscus flower. All areas in white will be color, all areas in black will be metal. It is up for final revision. So let me know you thoughts...

We have settled on a 2" coin, for $10. These will be individually numbered, trackable, and will be the first in a planned series.

Tank

Edited by Tank and Spaz

Hawaii13%252520copy.jpg

Here is my design. I am sorry for the copyright text, but it is a necessary evil.

To explain, shaped gecko with all eight hawaiian islands, two hawaiian petroglyphs, and a hibiscus flower. All areas in white will be color, all areas in black will be metal. It is up for final revision. So let me know you thoughts...

We have settled on a 2" coin, for $10. These will be individually numbered, trackable, and will be the first in a planned series.

Tank

Nice design! I especially like the petroglyphs. Based on the complexity, I think that 2" was the right choice.

Hawaii13%252520copy.jpg

Tank

I think I would want to see how you plan on displaying the "Trackable at Geocaching.com" + individual serial number + Groundspeak Tracking number on the back side. Is this going to be a rectangular coin with a recessed and filled Gecko or will it be a shaped/die cut coin with the Gecko as the outline? My opinion without seeing the back would be "its going to be cluttered with text and numbers on the back"; but if I understand this first side, I'm thinking rectangular - the text could be on the edge if you still plan to have a 3mm - 3.5mm thickness. Additionally, you would have 4 sides to engrave on. So, it really depends on the other side for me.

~J

Whether people will pay $15 for a coin depends 100% on the design.

+1 For me the design needs to be intricate and have levels and appeal to me.

Will you be selling them? Also, what plans do you have for the colors, I had a kinda similar idea with a gecko on a leaf (it's shadow).

I have the artwork finalized, so here is what it will look like. Let me know what you think! There were some slight changes as the manufactures stated they couldn't make it happen. All eyes will glow in the dark.

A01 - Ocean

A02 - Red Dirt

A03 - Pele

A04 - Moonlight (Glows in the dark)

6N-03492%252520Hawaii%252520Gecko%252520Artwork.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Seriously? Well if you can find it, then merge these two together, because I cant. So anyone else with some constructive thoughts?

Yep. Seriously.

The reason the rule came about was because in the heydays of geocoin production there were a lot of threads being created in here and some geocoins had 3 or 4 threads (for the concept, designing and manufacture, trading, sales, etc). Hence Eartha and FSM stepped in and decreed that one coin = one thread. Makes a lot of sense really for finding information about a geocoin.

In future, to get threads merged, click on the report button and ask a moderator to merge the threads. :)

There - constructive. :)