How to handle non-existing trackable in cache

Fryguy1111

Hi everyone. We own 1 cache and it's been a blast for our family to watch and maintain it. But something just came up that I'm not sure how or what I'm supposed to do. I noticed our cache mentions that a trackable was placed in it over a month ago, but it's never moved and it's still supposed to be there. So when we went to check it out today, we confirmed that it wasn't there.

How am I supposed to handle this situation where the cache description notes there is supposed to be a trackable there, but in reality, there's none.

Thanks.

Hi everyone. We own 1 cache and it's been a blast for our family to watch and maintain it. But something just came up that I'm not sure how or what I'm supposed to do. I noticed our cache mentions that a trackable was placed in it over a month ago, but it's never moved and it's still supposed to be there. So when we went to check it out today, we confirmed that it wasn't there.

How am I supposed to handle this situation where the cache description notes there is supposed to be a trackable there, but in reality, there's none.

Thanks.

Go to the trackable page and on the right hand side of the page is a drop down window that should be labelled "Mark Iten missiing" Click go to do so. You as the owner of the cache page that the trackable is listed in have a right to do so as the cache owner.

First though, it would be nice for you to check the logs after the one that states that the bug was dropped to see if anyone mentions removing it. If someone does, you can write them a nice note asking them if they removed it and to please log it out of the cache. If they do not respond or otherwise log the tracakble out, you are justified in marking it missing.

Perhaps your cache has had a recent visitor. Sometimes it takes a day or two for someone to log their online "Found It" and record that they have grabbed a trackable. If someone found your cache while on vacation, then it might take even longer.

Sometimes, people (geocachers or muggles) will take a trackable and never move it to a new cache. Either they aren't aware that it is intended to be moved or they simply steal it (especially geocoins).

If the trackable still is listed as being in your cache in a couple weeks, then you (as the cache owner) can click on the link to that trackable and "Mark Item Missing" (near page's top-right corner). This will remove it from your cache and notify the trackable's owner that it has gone missing.

Thanks for the quick responses. I tracked down a member that picked up a coin the day after it was placed in the cache and requested an update from him. If they say it's been lost, I'll mark it as missing on the trackables own page.

Again, thanks for the link and the info.

As a geocoin and travelbug owner that has lost many trackables, I really appreciate your effort to do the right thing! Thanks.

Visitors to your cache will really appreciate it if you do mark as missing any trackable items in the future that totally vanish. There are cache owners out there who either don't know how to do that or just don't do it for some other reason, and for people that specifically want to find a trackable item and move it on, it can be annoying when they find out it's not there. :)

Another thing you can do (especially if you are the one finding a cache with a "phantom" trackable) is to mention the missing item in your Found log and log a Note on the trackable item's page saying it's not in the specified cache.