Trouble with gpx2html

mariajohn

I'm having difficulty utilizing gpx2html. I downloaded the .exe file, placed in a directory where I saved three .gpx files. Double clicking on gpx2html brings up a window in which I get some sort of error message, but I can't read or copy it because it then quickly disappears!

If it's any help, the HTML subdirectory is being created, but it's empty.

Any ideas?

John Esher, Jr

John Esher, Jr & Guinness, GSD

Team Guinness

This is a GPX file sent to you from Geocaching.com, from the Personalize Query page? Not a LOC file, and not a GPX file saved from EasyGPS, right?

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

>This is a GPX file sent to you from >Geocaching.com, from the Personalize Query page?

Yes, it's a GPX from the geocaching page.

>Try it with only one gpx file. If it still does >that, we'll try something else.

Tried that, started with three, then two, then one...still didn't work.

>I'm not sure why it's barfing, but the most >likely reason is that it doesn't see any gpx >files. Make sure they don't have some hidden >extension that Windows isn't showing you...

Nope, all extensions are shown and it's a .gpx file.

When executed, gpx2html begins to run and states:

Finding GPX files...

Getting ignore list...

Getting corrections list...

Getting reference locations...

Cleaning input GPX file 7612.gpx:

Then the error message states in part(thanks to bspeng for the DOS window idea):

Please see the Perl2exe user manual under "Can't locate somemodule.pm in @INC"

Can't locate Carp/Heavy.pm in @INC (@INC contains: PERL2EXE_STORAGE C:WINNTTEMP C:EASYGPSGPS@HTML .) at PERL2EXE_STORAGE/Carp.pm line 109.

I got the gpx2html.exe file from the link at very near the top of the page at: http://home.attbi.com/~fizzymagic/gpx2html.html#Introduction

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

John Esher, Jr

John Esher, Jr & Guinness, GSD

Team Guinness

I downloaded gpx2html withut any problem together with the instuctions and Plucker. Read the instructions, converted a gpx file and loaded into my palm (handspring visor blue) and looked at the result. Found what was offerd was a fair improvment on mobipocket which I have been using. However I then discovered a "feature" of Plucker which makes the use of this sytem less useful than mobipocket i.e. then inability to mark and copy portions of text. I have written a small utility that enables me to convert wgs84 to osgb grid on my palm which is more convenient to use if I can paste the grid refs straight in.

Can any one suggest a solution.

Based on the suggestion above, I created three new queries and had the .gpx files sent to me tonight.

I tried to run gpx2html, and ran into the same problem described above.

I believe that somehow I got a bad gpx2html file, since fizzymagic did state "I am making a new version that doesn't use the offending module. I'll post it to the website tonight and send you an email."

The thing I don't understand how is why everyone else's file seems to be OK. Did anyone else grab the file from fizzymagic's site? Any problems or all OK?

Thanks for all the help,

John Esher, Jr

Team Guinness

quote:
Originally posted by mariajohn:

The thing I don't understand how is why everyone else's file seems to be OK. Did anyone else grab the file from fizzymagic's site? Any problems or all OK?

I've been using gpx2html right from the get-go with no problem other than initially Plucker did not like some "bad" html that appeared in 4 caches on my list of 370 and it would not accept the hint index file. Fizzymagic was able to do an overnight fix by having gpx2html zap it out and all has been well since.

The addition of the travel-bug index on the latest version is an unexpected upgrade. Thanks Fizzymagic.

Cheers, Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

quote:
Originally posted by mariajohn:

John Esher, Jr

Team Guinness

I now use Fizzy's program via my Macintosh and have no problems. It was rather difficult to figure everything out at first as the instruction don't apply to Mac's. Once I gave up on Fizzy's instructions and read Plucker's, Everything fell in place and works great.

My next step will be to figure out how to find the nearest cache. If you know you're near a given cache, you can find more, but how do I get that first cache other than just randomly choosing it. [does that make sense?] icon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

"I'm Not Sure I Understand Everything I Know About This."

Originally posted by Green Achers:

My next step will be to figure out how to find the nearest cache. If you know you're near a given cache, you can find more, but how do I get that first cache other than just randomly choosing it. [does that make sense?] icon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

Just create a txt file called "RefLocations.txt" with the following text in it:

Home, xx.xxxx,-xx.xxxx

(substitute your home coords)

Save the file in the same directory as gpx2html and your gpx file.

This info is on the download page for gpx2html.

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

Just create a txt file called "RefLocations.txt" with the following text in it:

_Home, xx.xxxx,-xx.xxxx_

(substitute your home coords)

Save the file in the same directory as gpx2html and your gpx file.

By the way, the coordinates in the various files don't have to be decimal degrees any more. It will also understand other formats now, too.

For example, Bill might have a RefLocations.txt file that would look like this:

Home, N 37 44.100, W 121 09.902

I used a neaby cache for those coordinates. icon_smile.gif

You can have multiple lines in this file; each one results in a new index page of the caches sorted by distance from that location.