Just Curious

EXMAN

Please feel free to check our profiles... I think that you will find very few here that have never released a coin.

i'm not making accusations or trying to be confrontational.

just wondering if you think it's silly to place a $10 +++ coin out there that may very well end up 'missing'?

Please feel free to check our profiles... I think that you will find very few here that have never released a coin.

just wondering if you think it's silly to place a $10 +++ coin out there that may very well end up 'missing'?

This topic is brought up on a regular basis and can sometimes lead to heated debates. Nearly everyone here has activated and released coins, but some people decide after a while that too many coins go missing, so they stop releasing coins into the wild. I can only speak for myself that I have already released a lot and plan to release many more. I have never released a $10 coin because the ones that I release were all bought on sale for less than $5 and most cost $3. I expect all of these coins to go missing at some point, but they are fun while they last and I also expect some to reappear after many years.

This topic is brought up on a regular basis and can sometimes lead to heated debates. Nearly everyone here has activated and released coins, but some people decide after a while that too many coins go missing, so they stop releasing coins into the wild. I can only speak for myself that I have already released a lot and plan to release many more. I have never released a $10 coin because the ones that I release were all bought on sale for less than $5 and most cost $3. I expect all of these coins to go missing at some point, but they are fun while they last and I also expect some to reappear after many years.

how about your thoughts on 'coin proxies'?

and i like coins too. if i can get some for $3 to $5, i'm interested.

how about your thoughts on 'coin proxies'?

I wasn't trying to be confrontational.... for the most part, people in this subforum are actually quite nice and helpful. I was just trying to say that the people in here aren't just sitting back with all of their coins locked away (just the pretty ones).

I released the ugliest coins I could buy, and some cool ones. I just thought I'd see how far they'd go. Geocoins have tracking numbers and info on where to track them, they're always "owned" by you, so who knows -- someday even a long-lost coin that was outright stolen may turn up again.

Once a TB or coin has been gone for a couple of years, I'll release a replacement with the same tracking number. I haven't decided how I'll make a "proxy" coin, but its theme will likely be a "ghost" of the coin or TB. The spirit lives on. :P

could you message me with info on the cheap coins?

Around the holidays or when the mood hits some of the larger collectors will sell off extras in the form of grab bags. Also checkout Ebay.... many coins get to the end of auction with nary a bid so if the initial bid is low you can grab an unwanted for a song.... but double check the shipping rates or your song and dance can easily become an arm and a leg. :laughing:

$10 is cheap when I place a full 5 gallon bucket with spores that were full (total value $300) when missing after the fourth person found it.

could you message me with info on the cheap coins?

The cheap coins I bought were from eBay. I noticed a particular coin design that was not selling well, so I e-mailed the designer whether I could buy 60 from him at $3 each and he agreed. It was actually a pretty cool design, but he had made way too many. I have bought other coins for equally low prices by just bidding low. Sometimes no one else bids against you and you can get a coin for $2. I bought several coins from the Rising Sun mint that way.

$10 is cheap when I place a full 5 gallon bucket with spores that were full (total value $300) when missing after the fourth person found it.

?????????????

Can you explain what a "5 gallon bucket with spores that were full" is? Some type of TB?

I've released coins and still do every now and then. Some have done really well and are stil traveling, while others whent missing shortly after being release. Its a guessing game if a coin will last or not after you release it.

Now days I tend to only release coins that are on a mission, makes it a little funner to watch it try to reach its goal.

I think about 10% of the 160 coins and TBs I've released are still actively traveling.

WOWWWWWWWWWWWW !!!

THAT'S 144 INACTIVE ID #s !!

YOU SHOULD LET ME MAKE UP PROXIES FOR THOSE #s AND SEE HOW THEY FLY !!

I LIKE TRACKABLES AND I'D LOVE TO SEE ALOT MORE OF THEM OUT THERE.

It seems like most of what goes on in this forum relates to 'collecting' geocoins.

do you feel that the people that actually put coins into caches are crazy, or are some coins uncollectable for some reason.

I've often thought it would make more sense for the two forums (Geocoin Discussions and Travel Bugs) to be renamed as "Traveling Trackables" and "Geocoin Design, Production and Collecting"... or something like that.

This is because the questions and information about items travelling in the wild apply equally to both coins and TBs and I see that as one distinct way to enjoy trackables.

The other way is understanding and appreciating the creativity of those who think up the designs and produce the items that cachers can't bear to part with and which they choose to keep in Collections.

MrsB :)

It seems like most of what goes on in this forum relates to 'collecting' geocoins.

do you feel that the people that actually put coins into caches are crazy, or are some coins uncollectable for some reason.

I've often thought it would make more sense for the two forums (Geocoin Discussions and Travel Bugs) to be renamed as "Traveling Trackables" and "Geocoin Design, Production and Collecting"... or something like that.

This is because the questions and information about items travelling in the wild apply equally to both coins and TBs and I see that as one distinct way to enjoy trackables.

The other way is understanding and appreciating the creativity of those who think up the designs and produce the items that cachers can't bear to part with and which they choose to keep in Collections.

+1

That sounds GREAT Mrs B. Has it been suggested before?

That sounds GREAT Mrs B. Has it been suggested before?

I've no idea. :D

I would hestitate to make it a formal suggestion by putting it into the Feedback Forum because although I browse through both the forums mentioned I don't post a lot in the Geocoin Discussion forum - I don't consider myself one of the dedicated "Coiners". I don't want to step on anyone's toes. :lol:

There may be plenty of drawbacks to the idea which I haven't considered.

Anyway... Don't want to go off topic... What was it again?

Yes, EXMAN, my first comment was because you have asked what is a very emotive question around here... AND you mentioned the P-word (proxies).

Proxies really get people going as they are usually liked/tolerated, or absolutely hated and loathed.

Years ago I use to release a lot of geocoins, including really good ones. It was really satisfying to see people discovering and moving them around. And for me to it was awesome to do the same for others and help them along their way.

But many of mine that are in the wild (I think it is between 60 and 80% of them) have gone silent - either left in the hands of a cacher or in a cache that has disappear, or the coins have just gone missing. Yes - it is a big investment that is out there and missing, and I never expected so many of them to missing.

So now I only release coins that aren't worth a lot and that will hopefully not go missing because they are ugly or they've been "drilled" and "tagged".

I am considering releasing some proxies for a small number of them that seen to have completely gone (the rest I hope will one day pop back up on the radar), but I will clearly mark these as being proxies. I don't want to release a cheap or horrible proxy so will get some decent ones made.

I think about 10% of the 160 coins and TBs I've released are still actively traveling.

WOWWWWWWWWWWWW !!!

THAT'S 144 INACTIVE ID #s !!

YOU SHOULD LET ME MAKE UP PROXIES FOR THOSE #s AND SEE HOW THEY FLY !!

I LIKE TRACKABLES AND I'D LOVE TO SEE ALOT MORE OF THEM OUT THERE.

A few already have proxies - meaning they were 2 coins with same number originally. Rather than relaunching them, I have those available for discovery along with a small collection of my other activated coins. Some of the coins come back (after years) and that's why I haven't made any copies to relaunch into the wild.

Edited by AtlantaGal