Discussions - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

knowschad

RE: barrel of monkeys.

Neat idea, but what prevents anyone from just picking the bucket up and shaking the bison out of the top or side holes?

Never dropped a guitar pick into the soundhole of an accoustic guitar and tried to shake it out, have you? :D
LOL! And somehow, I don't think my technique for getting my pick out of my guitar would work with this cache.

But a telescoping magnetic wand or a mechanic's grabbing tool would work nicely.

From the CCC thread:

I think the reference to 420 should make the cache illegal.

Why? Because you associate it with some activity? It offends you? If that's the case, I think your username should be "illegal" because eight people were killed by a bomb in Istanbul on August 20th. Some people might be offended by that...

A number is a number and nothing more.

Exactly. The rather blatant "420" marijuana users reference is part of that cacher's geo-nickname. Outlaw it, and you prevent them from properly labeling their caches. Don't let a number bother you.

But is advertising the usage of illegal drugs family friendly?

The number "420" does not, in and of itself, advertise illegal drugs. It certainly doesn't mean that to me.

Please continue here so as to not pollute the great CCC thread with silly drug-related comments.

From the CCC thread:

I think the reference to 420 should make the cache illegal.

Why? Because you associate it with some activity? It offends you? If that's the case, I think your username should be "illegal" because eight people were killed by a bomb in Istanbul on August 20th. Some people might be offended by that...

A number is a number and nothing more.

Exactly. The rather blatant "420" marijuana users reference is part of that cacher's geo-nickname. Outlaw it, and you prevent them from properly labeling their caches. Don't let a number bother you.

But is advertising the usage of illegal drugs family friendly?

The number "420" does not, in and of itself, advertise illegal drugs. It certainly doesn't mean that to me.

Please continue here so as to not pollute the great CCC thread with silly drug-related comments.

As a peace officer for over a decade I will tell you all UNEQUIVOCALLY that the 420 reference and the mushrooms is absolutely drug related. Any statement otherwise is either a blatant lie or a lack of knowledge on the subject.

Snopes

Huffington Post

Wikipedia

All encompassing Google search

Edited by Prescott Patrol

As a peace officer for over a decade I will tell you all UNEQUIVOCALLY that the 420 reference and the mushrooms is absolutely drug related. Any statement otherwise is either a blatant lie or a lack of knowledge on the subject.

Snopes

Huffington Post

Wikipedia

All encompassing Google search

I don't think knowschad was disputing the 420 connection to drugs. He just doesn't want off-topic discussion to derail the cool cache containers thread, because it's a great thread that's been going since 2004 (see below for first post) = and it would be a shame to get it locked because of off topic discussion.

Saw these pics posted in another thread. I love the idea of custom containers. The fav one I found was a log that was split and made into a container. Please post pics or discriptions if you do not have any pics of Cool Custom Cache Containers (ok CCCC's now)

I need to chime in on this. Not all references to the number 420 are drug related. My godfather and godmother, who are now in their 70's had license plates "Merl 420" and "Jack 420". This was their house number and part of their name. They were definitely not pot heads.

So I agree with LEGO that "The number "420" does not, in and of itself, advertise illegal drugs." The addition of the mushrooms to that number, I will agree with Prescott Patrol that it totally does.

From a post in the Pictures thread:

Maybe there is no holy guideline that forbids this, however I find it may inspire kids (or even adults) to go pulling other (real) sockets wherever they think there is a geocache.

For that reason I never use electrical stuff for custom containers.

Maybe it's just me, but all the caches I've found that have used "electrical stuff" have been easy for me to identify as fake without endangering myself. And I wouldn't have been concerned if I had found them with kids. ("See, it isn't connected to anything. It isn't real.")

I've even found one where you had to put your hand blindly into an old electrical distribution cabinet.

Apparently this passes every review without a problem.

Volunteer reviewers don't visit the cache location to inspect anything. Unless the CO volunteers that the cache requires you "to put your hand blindly into an old electrical distribution cabinet", there is no way for the volunteer reviewer to know. Of course, they aren't going to care about a fake utility box cover or a recycled microwave oven ("micro in the woods"). But if you need "to put your hand blindly into an old electrical distribution cabinet", then they might question whether the CO has adequate permission.

But if you dare dig a small hole on the contrary, to put a small pipe into the ground... say no more...
Yeah, but land managers aren't concerned about people getting electrocuted in their parks the way they're concerned about people digging up their parks looking for (or hiding) buried treasure.

Maybe it's just me, but all the caches I've found that have used "electrical stuff" have been easy for me to identify as fake without endangering myself.

Being female and not well versed in electric equipment, fake is not always obvious to me.

This electrical cache I encountered, in a triangular ballpark light tower, looked like ordinary regulation electric wires and boxes to me. Box, wires and conduit.

5824987837_d851c18ec7.jpg

The clue said give it a hard yank. I was really concerned about yanking on wires and boxes. I gave the box a firm but gentle push (not a hard yank - I didn't want to break something real and I wasn't crazy about being forceful with something that could potentially kill me). It didn't budge so I left and watched the next few logs for hints. It turned out that I was correct. It was very real looking to me. It was stuck on with some very strong magnets and did need a hard yank to get it off. I was impressed with the workmanship of the disguise, yet concerned. Eventually the CO did archive it stating that there were concerns.