Discussions - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

knowschad

This probably won't work, but its worth a try...

The CCC thread frequently gets sidetracked with discussions that, while often relevant, break up the visual nature of that thread. I thought I'd start this thread in hopes of providing a spot to take those discussions to. Please help keep the CCC thread pure.

The thread goes off topic because people make comments about the photos. They're not going to do that in a separate thread.

If everyone would stick to just posting pictures and not making accusations or downing someone's choice of containers or location, it would stay prestine. But that is not the way the forums work.

Thus far the thread participants have done a pretty good job of steering things back on topic and/or opening a new thread if a particular discussion needs to take place.

The thread goes off topic because people make comments about the photos. They're not going to do that in a separate thread.

If everyone would stick to just posting pictures and not making accusations or downing someone's choice of containers or location, it would stay prestine. But that is not the way the forums work.

Thus far the thread participants have done a pretty good job of steering things back on topic and/or opening a new thread if a particular discussion needs to take place.

Nothing stopping them from posting the photos to this thread and discuss them.

...sigh. Nobody can say that I didn't try, anyway. :laughing:

That reminds me about a photo I posted recently. It's a larger sized preform, for a juice bottle (lid is 2" dia.). There was a question about how it may stand up to Seattle's wet winters, and I sure am interested in a thorough discussion about it here. I'm thinking I'd have extra caps on hand just in case. Or is it more of a problem with a container being opened in the mist? Discuss.

2j5nw9k.jpg

Cool! Is that a juice preform, by any chance? Where do you get those? and are they waterproof in an Arizona summer? (wait... that wasn't right... Florida spring? Oregon winter?)

Since monsoon season gets started around mid-June every year in Arizona, you're more on point than you think.

Right you are, but it's more about the brutal effects of consistent high temperatures on most plastics.

Even the highest quality plastic container will become brittle and tend to crack and break after 12-18 months in Arizona. Even hiding the container in a sheltered location is no protection from degradation.

It's a two-edged sword, though. Even if the container fails and the log gets soaked in a monsoon downpour...24 hours later the log will be perfectly dry and you would never know anything had happened except for the ink bleeding all over.

Does any one still follow discussions on Yahoo groups? I still belong to two topics that contain two groups each. For each set, one group is for stuff that is happening right now, and the second associated group is for discussion after the fact. All are moderated.

Knowschad had a good idea, but it was destined to fail because he's not a moderator and can't control those that have no self control. Given enough time, we'll have two parallel threads.

I think that the CCC thread is resilient enough to withstand an occasional dissuasion. I'm not sure that a parallel thread is necessary.

If only we could post pictures of cool containers and leave the debates to other threads...

Hmmm... I wonder how we could do that? :)

I had this thread somewhat in mind but speaking more to starting a thread to discuss whatever the off-color nazi reference was to rather than doing it there.

Oh... so that's what that redacted word was. Was that in the original post, or the first edited one?

If only we could post pictures of cool containers and leave the debates to other threads...

Hmmm... I wonder how we could do that? :)

I had this thread somewhat in mind but speaking more to starting a thread to discuss whatever the off-color nazi reference was to rather than doing it there.

Oh... so that's what that redacted word was. Was that in the original post, or the first edited one?

I don't know for sure. But given the context, N__I seemed to be nazi. I didn't see the original post.

From this post from the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread:

IMG_4944.jpg

cache.jpg

The first cache like this that I found was very difficult to retrieve. My guess is that car tires bumping the parking stop moved the parking stop, and that this motion combined with the flexible joint between the Bison tube and rebar caused the cache to jam inside the hole in the parking stop. I've since seen a couple more caches jammed in the parking stop in the same way. But similar caches where the Bison tube is rigidly attached to the rebar have been fine.

I don't know for sure. But given the context, N__I seemed to be nazi. I didn't see the original post.

I made a joke related to the logs comment...that I decided someone would probably would not find funny. My comment related to removing it before the "a forum N__i's" comment. Yes, I was referring to Forum Nazis, those to like to try and control forum content based on their sense of rules or morality etc. I was being a bit childish...so I removed. It all relates to the 40K thread.

Too much bandwidth has been wasted on this meaningless topic. We need more pictures as rightfully requested. As a newer cacher, I found this tread to be very beneficial in cutting my learning curve, and increasing my find percentage.

Edited by Russ!

I made a joke related to the logs comment...that I decided someone would probably would not find funny. My comment related to removing it before the "a forum N__i's" comment. Yes, I was referring to Forum Nazis, those to like to try and control forum content based on their sense of rules or morality etc. I was being a bit childish...so I removed. It all relates to the 40K thread.

Too much bandwidth has been wasted on this meaningless topic. We need more pictures as rightfully requested. As a newer cacher, I found this tread to be very beneficial in cutting my learning curve, and increasing my find percentage.

At the very least, you showed a distinct lack of regard (or lack of knowledge) of Godwin's Law by using that word in a highly regarded forum thread. It would have been a shame to see it get shut down all because of one careless word.

From this post from the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread:

The first cache like this that I found was very difficult to retrieve. My guess is that car tires bumping the parking stop moved the parking stop, and that this motion combined with the flexible joint between the Bison tube and rebar caused the cache to jam inside the hole in the parking stop. I've since seen a couple more caches jammed in the parking stop in the same way. But similar caches where the Bison tube is rigidly attached to the rebar have been fine.

Do you think that may have been because they didn't have a rebar anchor? :lol:

I was gonna post a picture on that other thread, with a maybe slightly controversial container. Might post it here instead, due to it very likely sparking debate. For now, it's simply a question:

How do the evil caches do -- the kind where it truly looks like the log's gone, but the log is actually hidden inside in a twisted way? I ask because I owned a tough cache which had a container that people couldn't find, but they found some random bottle cap on the ground, and logged that they "found only the lid, so we signed a piece of paper and placed it back where we found it". I'd like to encourage people to instead find the authentic cache log, due to it being there perfectly fine, just kind of a puzzle.

Is it stupid to make a container that deliberately "looks like the cache needs maintenance"? Just plain irritating to finders? I intend to have vague hints that everything's not what it seems, but people admittedly do not read cache descriptions.

I can post a photo of what I mean, if this seems too hypothetical.

How do the evil caches do -- the kind where it truly looks like the log's gone, but the log is actually hidden inside in a twisted way?
I enjoy this kind of cache. As you indicated, one problem with them is that they can acquire "replacement" logs.

I've seen laminated notes that tell the seeker to keep looking. Don't just say that this isn't the cache; tell them to keep looking.

Keep the message on the laminated note short and simple, and write the same message on both sides. If the message is long and on only one side of the laminated note, then someone may roll the note with the message inside. Seekers may then assume that it's just a stash note, and that the actual log has gone missing, leading to "replacement" logs.

One cache owner used an interesting approach: He specified the color of the log. This can help discourage "replacement" logs, if the cache description and/or the laminated note make it clear that you must sign the "mint green log sheet" or the "yellow log sheet" or whatever.

One cache owner used an interesting approach: He specified the color of the log. This can help discourage "replacement" logs, if the cache description and/or the laminated note make it clear that you must sign the "mint green log sheet" or the "yellow log sheet" or whatever.

Cool, this is very useful. Thanks! I placed a tiny piece of velcro near one of my caches, and that tricked several people.

I'm glad this "Container Discussion" topic was started, even by some unknown person who knows chad.

I almost got bitten by one of those once. All that was left of the cache was a pen in the crotch of the tree. I tried to call the cache owner to let her know that her cache had been muggled. Fortunately, she wasn't available to pick up her phone, because it was only a minute afterward that the light came on.

One idea that I have had, but never implimented, is to cut a sheet of magnetic vinyl to perfectly fit the bottom (or side) of an ammo can, and paint it to match the can. I've never done it, though, for exactly the reason you state.

I almost got bitten by one of those once. All that was left of the cache was a pen in the crotch of the tree. I tried to call the cache owner to let her know that her cache had been muggled. Fortunately, she wasn't available to pick up her phone, because it was only a minute afterward that the light came on.

One idea that I have had, but never implimented, is to cut a sheet of magnetic vinyl to perfectly fit the bottom (or side) of an ammo can, and paint it to match the can. I've never done it, though, for exactly the reason you state.

I have a multi where Stage 1 is an ammo can, locked shut (dial combo lock). Coordinates to the final are stamped onto the bottom of the can. The cache listing has a picture with all sorts of three digit numbers (none of which open the lock - I don't even rememebr what the combo is). It's called Red Herring.

I have a multi where Stage 1 is an ammo can, locked shut (dial combo lock). Coordinates to the final are stamped onto the bottom of the can. The cache listing has a picture with all sorts of three digit numbers (none of which open the lock - I don't even rememebr what the combo is). It's called Red Herring.

:P

I love it!!

Ive fallen for something similar :ph34r:

I once made a prototype cache that had a wooden puzzle (a few six-sided cubes with strange half-symbols - maybe they match up in some way?). Inside the lid are instructions which say only:

"Sorry about this. It's a puzzle. Can you find the coordinates?"

...and I gave it to a caching friend who worked on it for a couple of weeks. "The symbols don't really match in any way," he said.

I eventually gave enough hints so that he found the coordinates, plainly written behind the instructions (which consisted of two magnet sheets stuck together), and the text "Sorry about this." I thought he was gonna KILL me.

Edited by kunarion

I've never found an evil hide like these, I generally cache with a friend and the purpose is for a great walk, we have loads of great series around us and if each cache is too hard to find/solve then it kind of frustrates you and detracts from the walk somewhat.

However I personally love the out of the ordinary especially if only going after one or two, which is what both of us tend to do with our husbands to try and keep them interested.

Ideally I would prefer the actual cache to be not too hard to find or the 'catch' to be at least hinted at somehow in the description or name, if I had been searchng for ages or even DNF it a few times, then couldn't see an obvious log I would either be deflated or really pee'd off, especially if I signed something then only realised once I'd walked away. I like the idea of stating the log colour, anyone who can't be bothered to read descriptions deserves their log deleted.

Edit: I say generally, but actually, I generally, am pretty new, so I may change my mind later on!

Edited by THE REAL BOUDICA

I had a similar find. It was a 4 star difficulty cache located along a creek with a very large pile of big rocks. I had a limited time to search as I had walked over from where my son was taken a gymnastics class about .2 of a mile away. While searching, I came across a BIC pen and figured I'd cito it before heading back. On the way back to the gymnastics building I came across what appeared to be bear scat and took a photo of it, posted a copy of it here, and several people confirmed that it most likely was bear scat. I put the pen down next the the scat to show the scale. A little later in the evening, the light went on. Since I was FTF on the cache I figured others would be searching for it (it had already had a couple of DNFs) so contacted the CO right away to let them know I had the container and would try to replace it the next day. Unfortunately, a pen isn't not very waterproof and the log quickly became damp the the CO archived the cache a couple of weeks later. Lesson learned: even a cool cache container still needs to be able to withstand the environment it's in.

From the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread:

My kinda people by the way.
Welcome to the addiction! There's nothing like finally spotting a 4-star camouflage cache on the third (or fourth, or...) trip to ground zero. :)

I wonder, do some CO's save the best hides for their front lawns just so they can watch and laugh at fellow GC'ers struggle to find the cache all while trying not to attract attention from passing muggles?
Not in my experience. Caches in front yards tend to be easy, and most cache seekers appreciate being able to find such caches quickly. Well-camouflaged caches tend to be in places where seekers can search for a while without feeling too uncomfortable—either where there aren't many other people, or where the other people won't pay attention to a geocacher during an extended search.

From the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread, regarding a maze cache:

So what do you think the best out of following 3 options?

1. transparent

2. white

3. white with hint (layout)

I say white with NO hint. Why make it easy (evil face).
If the goal is to make it more challenging, then draw a picture of the maze on the top, except with just a few differences from the actual maze. Add a line so the one route through the maze looks like a dead end, and remove a line so that a dead end looks like the one route through the maze. :ph34r:
If the goal is to make it more challenging, then draw a picture of the maze on the top, except with just a few differences from the actual maze. Add a line so the one route through the maze looks like a dead end, and remove a line so that a dead end looks like the one route through the maze. :ph34r:

A local similar puzzle (opaque plastic tube maze with a key inside) was typically solved by violently shaking it til the key fell out. So the puzzle broke, and the key got lost, and now it's archived. It's a cool idea, but it is a high-maintenance cache.

how do you feel about them?

I think, so long as the hider provides their own cap, they are fine. They offer an opportunity for hides in very public places. I am not comfortable with folks who modify an existing cap.

Sometimes it's pretty obvious that the cap is not the original e.g. a ball cap where all the others are flat. I do get that 'hmmmm' feeling occassionally with caps that look aged like the other caps and the same as the other caps but now have a hole drilled into to them and a bolt to hold the string or chain attached to the cache container.

The first couple that I found I thought were fun and unique. Now if my gps is pointing to a chain link fence, the caps are the first thing I suspect.

Regarding the fence cap cache photo that was recently posted, how do you feel about them? Do you think most cachers have found at least 1. Guesstimating, I think I've found about 10 fence cap caches (or stages of caches).

The first one, about 8 years ago, when I was greener than a parked Prius, was a real challenge. I think it took me three trips, if I remember right. These days, they are the very first thing I check when I see one near ground-zero.

how do you feel about them?

I think, so long as the hider provides their own cap, they are fine. They offer an opportunity for hides in very public places. I am not comfortable with folks who modify an existing cap.

I found one not too long ago where the CO not only supplied his own cap, he supplied his own post AND painted it bright yellow. There wasn't much doubt about where to look for that one

I made a fence post cache and was worried about the same concerns that you have expressed here. I was able to salvage a few fence post caps in my days since I first saw one in action and finally I was able to make a match. I think my shade is off (a little) but I like the location and the post is a good fit. It has gotten a couple favourites since I threw it out there.

RE: barrel of monkeys.

Neat idea, but what prevents anyone from just picking the bucket up and shaking the bison out of the top or side holes?

Just a note on the paint. If you clean the container with a solvent cleaner containing Xylene then the paint will bond to the plastic :)

RE: barrel of monkeys.

Neat idea, but what prevents anyone from just picking the bucket up and shaking the bison out of the top or side holes?

The lid is actually concave. The hole is very small. My friend who beta tested it was able to use that method but it took just as long. I know of one group who has used an auto tool with a grabby claw. Of course a long magnet stick would work as well. Can people cheat? Yes. But my hope is most do it the correct way and enjoy the challenge.

Thanks for the paint tip. I used Fusion which has worked well on match sticks and lock n locks. It seems to have worked well on the barrel just not the lid. If I repaint or redisgn I'll try that trick.