Taking video

mullyman

I'm still fresh with Geocaching and trying to learn the proper etiquette. I have a channel on YouTube and I do a lot of vlogging. I have a little over 1300 subscribers and get quite a few views on my videos. Since I started GeoCaching I've made it a point to log all my caching trips on video and post them up on my channel. For the most part I do not show where the caches are hidden, but I do show the contents. Unfortunately most of my finds are micros that only have a log sheet so it's not like I'm really spoiling anything by showing the log sheet and the container.

A few of my subscribers have shown interest in GeoCaching and they want to see video of the hunt and the find. I did show the find in 2 previous videos but I was very careful to put a gray screen in announcing that "from this point forward there is a spoiler. Turn off now if you don't wish to see it."

Now, on each log here on GC.com I add a link to the video that goes with that find. I clearly let people know before they click on it if there is going to be a spoiler or not.

My question is this, is it bad form to be doing videos of my adventures? Or, is it ok to shoot and put up but it's not cool to put it in the log. Is it ok to show the container, considering it's not something special like a hollowed out log or a bolt etc...? Is it ok to show the contents?

I'm sure I'll get a variety of answers here but I'm really interested in what you guys think about this practice.

Thanks in advance,

MULLY

Edited by mullyman

I'm still fresh with Geocaching and trying to learn the proper etiquette. I have a channel on YouTube and I do a lot of vlogging. I have a little over 1300 subscribers and get quite a few views on my videos. Since I started GeoCaching I've made it a point to log all my caching trips on video and post them up on my channel. For the most part I do not show where the caches are hidden, but I do show the contents. Unfortunately most of my finds are micros that only have a log sheet so it's not like I'm really spoiling anything by showing the log sheet and the container.

A few of my subscribers have shown interest in GeoCaching and they want to see video of the hunt and the find. I did show the find in 2 previous videos but I was very careful to put a gray screen in announcing that "from this point forward there is a spoiler. Turn off now if you don't wish to see it."

Now, on each log here on GC.com I add a link to the video that goes with that find. I clearly let people know before they click on it if there is going to be a spoiler or not.

My question is this, is it bad form to be doing videos of my adventures? Or, is it ok to shoot and put up but it's not cool to put it in the log. Is it ok to show the container, considering it's not something special like a hollowed out log or a bolt etc...? Is it ok to show the contents?

I'm sure I'll get a variety of answers here but I'm really interested in what you guys think about this practice.

Thanks in advance,

MULLY

Looks like quite a few of us have geocaching on our Youtube channles and it seems to be getting more popular. I don't disclose the location of other peoples listings, but a spoiler did show up in our first video and someone reconized the cache and gave some very nice input on it. The listing was intended for childern geocaching and was placed by a Fireman in front of his station. I'll ride shotgun with you on this thread, as I also value the input from other users.

Looks like quite a few of us have geocaching on our Youtube channles and it seems to be getting more popular. I don't disclose the location of other peoples listings, but a spoiler did show up in our first video and someone reconized the cache and gave some very nice input on it. The listing was intended for childern geocaching and was placed by a Fireman in front of his station. I'll ride shotgun with you on this thread, as I also value the input from other users.

Cool, glad to have you along for the ride. What's your channel address? Mine is

http://www.youtube.com/user/warmothstrat

Would love to see your videos.

MULLY

hopefully we can get a list of other channels here too

Edited by mullyman

Personal preference : I don't particularly care to watch geocaching videos. It's not a spectator sport, and I don't get much enjoyment out of them. It would have to be a really unusual video / geocache to get me interested.

But clearly I'm not your target viewer. As long as you enjoy making the videos, go ahead.

Edited by Chrysalides

i also have a channel and took some video today. it was my first full day out and so i didn't know what was ok to put up in videos. i agree that we shouldn't show the place they are hidden but think it would be fun to show unique caches that we find and also the contents. i'll be checking back on this thread to hear the verdict from some veteran seekers :)

i also have a channel and took some video today. it was my first full day out and so i didn't know what was ok to put up in videos. i agree that we shouldn't show the place they are hidden but think it would be fun to show unique caches that we find and also the contents. i'll be checking back on this thread to hear the verdict from some veteran seekers :)

I'm actually in a unique position because I'm in an area of Japan that most of the people here will never see so my videos don't really mean squat. But, regardless of that, I don't want to break any unwritten rules of etiquette. Luckily a lot of my finds have been set by one person in this area and he has seen my videos and really liked them. He even asked me to post the URL's to the Geocaching Japan Facebook page so others could see them.

Also, like I said, a lot of my viewers knew nothing of Geocaching and quite a few have contacted me asking for more info. I even got a comment the other day from someone saying that they bought the app for their iPhone and went and got their first cache, all because he was really interested in what he saw in my videos. Another person contacted me and said he used my video in one of his classes and the students just loved it. Now, there really isn't anything special in my videos, just me and my wife out shooting what we find. But, people are into it.

Even with all that positive stuff coming out of it, I don't want to be the bad guy ruining caches for people.

MULLY

Personal preference : I don't particularly care to watch geocaching videos. It's not a spectator sport, and I don't get much enjoyment out of them. It would have to be a really unusual video / geocache to get me interested.

But clearly I'm not your target viewer. As long as you enjoy making the videos, go ahead.

Oh yeah, I can totally respect your view on watching them. Other than a few really cool containers/hides that I've seen on YouTube I don't find much excitement with them either.

MULLY

Edited by mullyman

MULLY

Mine is http://www.youtube.com/user/ManvillePossumHunter?feature=mhee We "shot" some more video today at our firing range. My channle is not dedicated to geocaching, but some of our EarthCache videos are cool.

I don't know whether you saw this fairly recent topic about posting geocaching videos to Youtube:

Youtube geocaching videos - Groundspeak don't like me?

Some interesting opinions there.

MrsB

I hope that this thread does not end up like that one. Many of us that enjoy geocaching seem to also enjoy Youtube and geocaching videos. I'm careful to avoid spoliers on other members geocache listings, and I wish no trouble from this site because I enjoy other geocaching sites, forums, blogs, or magiznes. I think that many geocachers enjoy cameras with their outdoor hobbys, ect. I know that we do, I have a great family photo collection. And many are photos of our finds that would be spoilers, but this is my private collection. So what if they exist on Flicker or Photo Bucket? I just don't make them avalible for public view.

You're going to get a variety of opinions here but the only one that really matters is the owner of the cache you're finding and documenting on video. I realize that you're careful about showing spoilers that show exactly where the cache is hidden or a unique container, but, IMHO spoilage can go beyond that. I have a few caches that often elicit a "I had no idea this was here" response and have found others where there is something very unusual that geocachers will discover once they arrive at GZ (even if they don't find the cache). A photo or video of the area where the cache is hidden might not spoil where it's hidden but it might spoil the surprise of what someone will discover on the way or once they arrive at GZ. For those caches that are just another unremarkable micro I have to wonder, "why bother?".

I don't know whether you saw this fairly recent topic about posting geocaching videos to Youtube:

MrsB

Thanks for this. Nah, I didn't see that. I even did a search before I posted this thread to make sure I wasn't starting another thread over. I should have used YouTube as a keyword. My bad and apologies to anyone having to read the same stuff over again.

MULLY

MULLY

Mine is http://www.youtube.com/user/ManvillePossumHunter?feature=mhee We "shot" some more video today at our firing range. My channle is not dedicated to geocaching, but some of our EarthCache videos are cool.

Subscribed and left a comment on the channel. Looking forward to seeing your videos.

MULLY

You're going to get a variety of opinions here but the only one that really matters is the owner of the cache you're finding and documenting on video. I realize that you're careful about showing spoilers that show exactly where the cache is hidden or a unique container, but, IMHO spoilage can go beyond that. I have a few caches that often elicit a "I had no idea this was here" response and have found others where there is something very unusual that geocachers will discover once they arrive at GZ (even if they don't find the cache). A photo or video of the area where the cache is hidden might not spoil where it's hidden but it might spoil the surprise of what someone will discover on the way or once they arrive at GZ. For those caches that are just another unremarkable micro I have to wonder, "why bother?".

Well, to answer the "why bother" question, I am a regular on YouTube. My channel is partnered and I have a fairly good subscription base. I also won Video of the Year 2010 from YouTube Japan. Sorry, had to toot my own horn on that one. Anyway, the reason I make the videos on the unremarkable micros is because it's a vlog of what I did that particular day. The one thing I'm really learning from GeoCaching is that I'm seeing places I never would have taken the time to see if it hadn't been for this. The majority of my subscribers are overseas and are interested in Japan. If I can show a video of a temple or castle and give a little history behind the place etc... the people really enjoy it.

I respect everything you said here though so please don't take anything above as arguing back at you. I will take all of that into consideration.

MULLY

the video of the year is titled "97,000 Toothpicks" :) tooting my own horn again

MrsB

Thanks for this. Nah, I didn't see that. I even did a search before I posted this thread to make sure I wasn't starting another thread over. I should have used YouTube as a keyword. My bad and apologies to anyone having to read the same stuff over again.

MULLY

Interesting, had not heard of that. That's another one to bookmark next time a thread comes up and the "defenders of everything" state that it's not hurting anyone, and Groundspeak doesn't care. They have had puzzle solving websites taken down, have banned someone near me (temporarily, for a month I think) for posting puzzle solutions to Facebook, and now this.

Basically, I think spoilers are inherent to Geocache Blogging a Vlogging. It's difficult to not do it.

P.S. I'm sure someone "complained" about the linked YouTube channel. I seriously doubt Groundspeak goes looking for spoiler videos. Can't believe I missed that thread, I must have been very busy in late August/early September. :)

MrsB

Wow, just read through that thread. Very interesting. I can see both sides to the arguments people were making. My one question though, why would Groundspeak care that he's posting spoilers? It says right on the logging page that logs and photos may contain spoilers. What makes a video any worse? Just curious, not trying to make a stand on anything.

I guess from here on out I will contact the cache owner directly and ask them if they mind if I put the videos up. So far, the one guy that I've found the most caches from, has actually visited my channel and was excited that his caches were being displayed. Again, I don't show where they are hidden, I only show what I found. I think I have 2 videos that show where it was hidden. One of them I don't feel bad at all about because it says right in the description where it. I didn't feel that I was really giving anything up on that one. The other one was because of a request from viewers wanting to see how something may be hidden. It was a micro, under a bench, fairly simple, so I thought that was good enough to show. I did put a gray screen in the video though warning that the spoiler was coming up in the event they wanted to turn it off. I surely won't make it a habit of showing spoilers though. I don't want people to have the answer. Let them look for it like I did is what I say. haha!!

MULLY

MrsB

MULLY

I'm quite glad you started this thread. I got kicked out of that other one and can not take part in it. :mad:

I'm quite glad you started this thread. I got kicked out of that other one and can not take part in it. :mad:

What did you say in that other thread that got you kicked out of it? :lol:

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r::anibad:

I don't want to discuss the issue with you knowschad. Thanks for not asking, but you can still read the thread. :anibad:

I wasn't asking you to discuss any issue with you.

What did you say in that other thread that got you kicked out of it? :lol:

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r::anibad:

I don't want to discuss the issue with you knowschad. Thanks for not asking, but you can still read the thread. :anibad:

I wasn't asking you to discuss any issue with you.

Oh, sorry. I thought that you were trying to bait me into something. :unsure: I already stated that I got in trouble from my post in that thread. I thought you would have understood that. Guess not? :D