10th Anniversary of geocoins COINTEST

DresselDragons

I am surprised that I did not see any threads regarding the 10th anniversary of geocoins. September 30th marked the release of the first Moun10Bike geocoin into the wild. Read about it HERE. To celebrate, post a link to the log from your first geocoin released into the wild. It does not need to be a trackable coin (the first ones weren't), but the log should mention the coin drop. You are posting a link to your "found it" log, not a coin log. We will have a random drawing for a random geocoin. Please make sure you include the following in your post: 1) Which coin did you release; 2) When did you release it; and 3) If it was trackable, is it still moving. Only 1 entry per caching name please (you can only release your first coin once). We will accept entries until Friday, October 7th, at 9:00 PM EST. I will start it off with our first release:

The first coin that we released was our personal geocoin...we dropped it in Looney One on July 29, 2006. It went missing from this cache shortly after we dropped it.

Edited by DresselDragons

My first coin release was a Groundspeak CITO coin (TB2W0PZ) that I dropped in Belmont Cache (GC1X1Z6) in Charlottesville Virginia almost two years ago on October 11th 2009. The log for the cache find/coin drop is here.

It hasn't moved for a long time - it was last logged in February 2010 when it was picked up. As far as I know is still in the hands of the cacher who grabbed it then.

Edited by NepoKama

To celebrate, post a link to the log from your first geocoin released into the wild. It does not need to be a trackable coin (the first ones weren't), but the log should mention the coin drop. You are posting a link to your "found it" log, not a coin log. We will have a random drawing for a random geocoin. Please make sure you include the following in your post: 1) Which coin did you release; 2) When did you release it; and 3) If it was trackable, is it still moving. Only 1 entry per caching name please (you can only release your first coin once). We will accept entries until Friday, October 7th, at 9:00 PM EST. I will start it off with our first release:

The first coin that we released was our personal geocoin...we dropped it in Looney One on July 29, 2006. It went missing from this cache shortly after we dropped it.

This is pretty easy for me ... I still have such fond memories for my first coin.

1) My first coin released into the caching wild was the Dressel Dragon Geocoin (I named it Dan's Dressel Dragon Geocoin [because I was so original!]).

2) I activated it on September 24, 2006 and I placed it on September 25, 2006 in one of the only 4.5/5 caches I've been to (and this was my second visit to this cache [to drop the coin and to pick up a rare Jeep]). The cache log is: here: Kitchen Cove Cache.

3) The coin visited nine caches (including two events) and traveled from Minnesota to California but has not been reported seen since April of 2007..

stickerooni

I am surprised that I did not see any threads regarding the 10th anniversary of geocoins. September 30th marked the release of the first Moun10Bike geocoin into the wild. Read about it HERE. To celebrate, post a link to the log from your first geocoin released into the wild. It does not need to be a trackable coin (the first ones weren't), but the log should mention the coin drop. You are posting a link to your "found it" log, not a coin log. We will have a random drawing for a random geocoin. Please make sure you include the following in your post: 1) Which coin did you release; 2) When did you release it; and 3) If it was trackable, is it still moving. Only 1 entry per caching name please (you can only release your first coin once). We will accept entries until Friday, October 7th, at 9:00 PM EST. I will start it off with our first release:

The first coin I released was put into one of my own caches (happened to be my first placed cache). I cant link to a "find it" log, so is there something else I can do to enter the cointest?

Thanks for the fun!

Very nice idea for a cointest!

The first of my own coins that I dropped off was a Happy Caching Ladybird geocoin. I figured I'd start my geocoin experience by buying some coins that were suitable for travelling. I released the coin in the town where I grew up, during christmas holidays (Dec 28th 2010). It was not the most amusing cache, but one that was accessible during winter and would hopefully have frequent visits. The coin is trackable and is still travelling! ... in Germany. :) It didn't really see any flowers yet, but who knows what'll happen.

Thank you for the Cointest! :D

Oh! I remember the first coinI found.... I think I remember the first I released and not someone else for me...

and how can I forget the geocoins.... since I am a cacher because of one?? I saw the first greek geocoin in ebay by accident... I wanted to know more about it... and... here I am ! :laughing:

well.. there are coins adopted to me or released under my name and were released a long time ago... (some were released when I was not even a cacher...), but even for the ones they actually started its travels under my name but from somewhere else... I was not the releaser... so I will not mention them...

So... If I remember well... the first coin I owned and I released it with my hands... was the Over the edge coin back in 23rd of May, 2008. I was still new to caching.... I released it in the Rodini cache here in rhodes with a goal to travel to europe until the Summer of 2009 and then return to the same cache it was first released.... (Rodini cache GC12VJQ).

It is still out there!!! Of course.. it is not coming to greece yet... it is in Bayern, Germany at the moment! :D

Of course it is trackable, and it was a gift from my friend, Over the edge! :)

Thanks for the cointest!

My first coin goes out very soon. Its all ready to go but i haven't had a chance to drop it in a cache yet. But i am starting to put together a new cache which i may use as the coin's jumping off point.

Other then this coin the only other one i have activated is one i use as a mileage tracker. So it has never really been released.

Coin to be released: Nomad Geocoin (TB45MGC)

Release Date: TBD

Is it still moving: has to start moving first. But will be on its way to Germany for Phase V of the Mr. Gray Project.

An interesting cointest because I couldn't remember which was the first geocoin I ever released so I had to go back and look through our account to find out...

The first geocoin I released was Cath the Welsh geocat, released into one of our own caches on 1st April 2006

The geocoin had the mission to stay within Wales and Cath kept up her wanderings for about 1200 miles until she finally disappeared in a north Wales cache in October 2008.

In November 2010 I resurrected the geocoin as a proxy, using two photographs of the original coin cut to shape, mounted on card, then laminated. Within a couple of moves it arrived at an event... and disappeared.

Oh well.

That's two lives gone. Maybe Cath will get resurrected again this Christmas!

MrsB

My first released coin was Azure Sky's Four Elements Geocoin, trackable and activated on 5/21/10 in New Hampshire, and placed in my very first event, 'Twixt Spring 'n Summer Geo-Meet 2010

The first actual cache I placed the coin in after retrieving from the event was my own cache, GC2ATA6 - Highlander on 6/27/10. For some reason, I can't put the link for the log here (maybe because it has my UID in the address?)

The coin had a slow start, but it is in Virginia as of 9/30/11, and was just retrieved from NESW TB Hotel

Edited by Azure Sky

My first coin drop was actully four coins into a cache I had just created.

They were all four of the Micro Four Elements Coins and released on 18 Oct 2010. All four are trackable. The log is here - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=458d6d0f-f89d-4726-babb-648c4cf0852c

The four coins are here:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=3014983 (Earth) - Mac314 picked it up in April and won't reply to emails to release it.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=3014825 (Fire) - Went missing in March 2011

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=3015090 (Water) - This cache has not been found since the coin was dropped in back in June 2011

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=3014875 (Wind) - Still moving and is in France

Edited by GermanyBert

After reviewing my information, I found that my first released coins was a Hibiscus FlipFlops geocoin, called fuzziebear3's Hibiscus FlipFlops Geocoin and released into the cache Lake Forest Loot (currently disabled and on the road to archive) on November 3 2008, here is the log (my log).

It traveled well, gaining over 3600 miles until June of 2010, when it was placed into a cache and then was no longer there within a week, never to be heard from again.

I have always looked for another pair of those FlipFlops since. I found others, but no more Hibiscus ones.

The first coin that I released was one that was actually transferred to me by Rockin' Roddy..... The coin was a Todie's Wild Ride. It was actually first released/grabbed by Geopigs in Michigan on August 27th, 2009. Thanks Roddy for getting me started!

Todies Wild Ride

It went missing in vegas little over a year ago. I have since resurrected and re-released it. No sense in wasting a tracking number. I wait 1 year to do this.

Thanks for the cointest!

Soon after I began geocaching I sent out my first travel bug, but it went missing after its second cache, so it took me a while before I was happy sending out my first geocoin.

If I remember correctly, the first coin I released was one of my own Something Fishy coins - the first coin I designed.

It was released almost a year ago now in the Tribe Road 2 cache in Bermuda, with a goal of getting back to me by the end of this year (which doesn't look like it will).

It got out of Bermuda quite quickly, then spent a long time in Nova Scotia, and is still moving but been stuck in a cache in New Hampshire for a while.

Wow this one had me reminiscing not only about the first coin I released but the first cache I found and hid it in. The coin was an Islander 88 tag TB1YQH5 placed into GCTWPF on Aug 26/09, it was moved only a few times but was lost in Costa Rica in GC1KJR0 May 2009. I had released its twin in Oct. 2008 and lost that one as well but the memories are still with me. Thanks for bring them back. :)

And thanks for the cointest :D

Edited by kini_ont

Ten years. Wow. Way before I began to geocache!

371cf106-22c7-4198-b8ae-ce00bb1995fc.jpg

I dropped unactivated coins into caches before releasing a traveling geocoin, so the drop details didn't stand out in my memory. I believe my first activated coin was this one. The Garmin Oregon coin got named Momster's Cold and Wet and I dropped it into my 600th find, Rockwell Rd #3 on 20 July, 2009. My log doesn't note the drop, as is my habit for coins I own. The last action log for Cold & Wet was August 3, 2011. Although the cache owner has marked it as missing, I am not ready to write it off--it has popped back up after much longer gaps in activity than that! :)

What a fun cointest!

We released our first geocoin on June 4, 2008. Our Leprechaun Geocoin was placed in a cache in West Bend, Wisconsin Villa Park Geo Coins and it has since traveled 9,715 miles. We had hoped to pick it up on one of our trips to Ireland, but it never made it across the pond. We changed its mission and hoped it would make its way back home to us in California. It is now in the hands of a cacher very close to our home and they last logged it today! Miracles do happen :grin:

We also released our second coin on that same day in West Bend...it was moved to another cache three days later and that cache was stolen, coins and all. :cry:

Edited five times because I just learned how to add a link! :D

Edited by steben6

I have dropped non trackables but don't know if they were before this one or after. We have had a coin thief around here so cachers in this area stopped logging that they dropped nontrackables. I activated a KS Sunshine coin Sunshine Seeking Geocachingdragon on February 21, 2007 and dropped it into the cache GC1085D Ruth Ann's Cache on February 24, 2007. It was on a mission to get to Geocachingdragon in Ontario which isn't all that far from me. It got to within about 20 miles of that goal and then made a LONG detour to Japan. I emailed that cacher and asked if he could bring it back to Canada with him and drop it back in a Canadian cache. He dropped it in another cache in Canada but it went missing two days later with it's last log on July 19, 2007 :( In that short time it traveled 13257 miles.

I have been caching since Jan '09 and usually release TB's not coins.

I recently co-hosted an event with the County of Lennox and Addington.

We had a coin minted for this event, and on September 11,2011 I released my first Geocoin called

Coman123's Lennox & Addington Geocachers Coin #1 into A Whale of a Cache in Niagara Falls, Ontario

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=3816296

See the log here

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=36f40ba9-c906-4be9-ae66-3dd029c7e658

Since the coins were minted and introduced to the Geocaching world on August 27th, 2011 just a couple of days from the 10 year anniversary date of the first Geocoin, I will be releasing 10 coins over the next 10 months, and we gave away 10 coins at the event.

Coman123

Edited by coman123

Thanks for the stories everyone. I have decided to give away two geocoins in this cointest. So, the winning posts are, in random order, 21 and 10. Please PM me your mailing address, and I will get your coins out to you.

Plus, stickerooni, please PM me your address as well. I do not have any trackable DD coins to replace your first coin released, but will send you one of our non-trackable dragon eyes. At least your DD coin traveled to more caches than ours!

The first coin that I released was one that was actually transferred to me by Rockin' Roddy..... The coin was a Todie's Wild Ride. It was actually first released/grabbed by Geopigs in Michigan on August 27th, 2009. Thanks Roddy for getting me started!

Todies Wild Ride

It went missing in vegas little over a year ago. I have since resurrected and re-released it. No sense in wasting a tracking number. I wait 1 year to do this.

Thanks for the cointest!

Quote from above statement....."No sense in wasting a tracking number."

We all should have this attitude.

we paid for that #, let's keep them in circulation.

Thanks for the stories everyone. I have decided to give away two geocoins in this cointest. So, the winning posts are, in random order, 21 and 10. Please PM me your mailing address, and I will get your coins out to you.

Plus, stickerooni, please PM me your address as well. I do not have any trackable DD coins to replace your first coin released, but will send you one of our non-trackable dragon eyes. At least your DD coin traveled to more caches than ours!

I'm still learning stuff...what is a PM?? I emailed you through your GS email. Hope you got it!

I'm still learning stuff...what is a PM?? I emailed you through your GS email. Hope you got it!

PM is a private message...emailing thru my profile works too...I got it. Still waiting to hear from ice13-333. Coins will be mailed out on Tuesday...no mail tomorrow for Columbus Day.

PM is a private message...emailing thru my profile works too...I got it. Still waiting to hear from ice13-333. Coins will be mailed out on Tuesday...no mail tomorrow for Columbus Day.

Thanks for the answer! But how do I send a PM?

To send a PM, click on the little blue envelope icon underneath the person's avatar on their post. You can also use the messenger feature in the top right corner of the page. Go ahead check it out! :)

Cointest ended, closing thread now.

Happy 10 years of geocoins!