What's your leatherman?

Articus66

One piece of equipment I've noticed that many cachers carry is a Leatherman multi-tool. I like the design of these tools and they seem to be well built and the price reflects that. So which did you buy? did you buy it for a particular tool that was included? how have you used it while caching/hiking and overall would you consider it a worthwhile investment?

Please post pics of your Leatherman and how you store it (carry case, otter box, etc.)

So far on the Leatherman popularity scale up to and including post 15:

Leatherman Original xx

Blast x

wave xx

mini-leatherman xx

fuse xx

squirt p4 x

micra xxxx

kick x

Charge Ti x

Juice KF4 x

Juice SC2 x

style cs x

Edited by Articus66

One piece of equipment I've noticed that many cachers carry is a Leatherman multi-tool. I like the design of these tools and they seem to be well built and the price reflects that. So which did you buy? did you buy it for a particular tool that was included? how have you used it while caching/hiking and overall would you consider it a worthwhile investment?

Please post pics of your Leatherman and how you store it (carry case, otter box, etc.)

I have two. The original, which is by far my favorite, and the Blast. Do yourself a favor, don't get awed by all the tools. Keep it simple. More tools means less comfortable when you use it. If I had to do it again, I would probably get the wave. I use it for everything to dig logs out of small micro to making field repairs. I even used to use it at work to fix computers. The case I use are the original leather which, unfortunately, unless you find an old one on eBay or something, you can not get any longer.

You can not go wrong buying a true Leatherman. It will be the last one you buy.

Edited by baloo&bd

As for GENUINE leatherman tools, I have a 'squirt p4' and a 'micra'. I used to have a 'wave' but it fell out of my pocket somewhere. :cry:

I also have a full-size model made by Gerber, and one marked 'Winchester' as well as another by 'Carolina knife & tool'. I think the latter two are made by Gerber, but who knows.

The squirt and micra are in my pocket every work day, but sometimes a work-day is a caching day too! The 'Winchester' is on my belt in it's own sheath for those heavier jobs.

On the weekends, the Gerber is usually on my belt in case of cholla encounter, or perhaps a stubborn cache container.

I use a Gerber Mini ... mostly as a nano log retrieval tool...but it comes in handy [i hang it on my belt]. I also have a AAA flashlight attached. But I keep other TOTT in the cache-mobile including a pickup tool [like for picking up garbage and such]. That has become pretty useful on many occasions. It is good for stuff up high. You can also use it to pickup garbage so muggles think you are there for maintenance.

The other main item I insist upon is a pair of mechanics gloves, which I carry in my back pocket [i usually were cargo pants].

edit for spelling...i hate spelling errors...

Edited by alohabra

I carry a Micra all the time, not just when I'm geocaching. I find myself using the scissors fairly frequently. There have only been a couple times when I would have liked to have had the pliers that the Squirt comes with. And if it were one of the larger models, then I wouldn't have it with me all the time.

YMMV

I carry a Leatherman Fuse in the leather belt case it came with. I chose it because it has pliers and decent scissors. Before I got it I carried a Leatherman Micra, and I used to still carry it for the tweezers. That reminds me, I need to figure out where I put it and start carrying it again.

I've used the end of the pliers and the can opener to remove tricky logs. I've used the screwdrivers to open special containers. I've used multiple tools on it to try to free a match container from a block of ice. I also have the added bonus that a lot of people I work with carry them, so it has come in handy when I've had to make adjustments to equipment.

The only Leatherman I own is the Kick model - basically the cheapest full size model at the time I bought it. A great tool, but heavier than I can normally be bothered carrying unless I anticipate using it.

What I do carry instead is normally a Victorinox Swiss army knife - smaller, lighter, has most of the tools a Leatherman has (in the case of the ones I have blades and screwdrivers, though they do come with more) and are notably cheaper ;)

I would love to get my hands on one of the Juice models though, and one of the larger wave or similar models for when I do want to carry a larger tool...

Like niraD, I have and carry the micra, I use it a lot. For geocaching, probably the scissors the most, then the blade and the tweezers. It's either in my small waist pack or in my pocket.

I've done some pretty heavy cutting with that small blade - cut the head off an 8 point buck one day - yes, a bigger blade for getting through the spine would have been nice, but I probably wouldn't be carrying a bigger blade, and I do carry that.

I have two leatherman tools - a Charge Ti and a Juice KF4.

The juice is in my pocket - always - except if I am getting on a flight, then it goes in the checked baggage and goes back into my pocket as soon as possible. It has a couple of blades and a couple of screwdriver bits built into it. It has been very useful at work, and I use it at least half of the time, rather than dig out my tool kit. But, if I am going to be using a pliers and screwdrivers for more than one or two screws, I go get my kit.

The charge came in a belt holster, and is worn if I am working around home or am planning on going caching, hunting or hiking. It is larger, similar to the Wave, but the Charge Ti model has nicer rounded edges and I find it fairly comfortable to use. It works great when you might need simple tools, but don't want the weight of a proper tool kit. Again, if I am expecting to need tools, I take what I need with me, rather than plan to tear apart a stereo with just this tool.

I think of it as a swiss army knife with just a little extra help.

I use and have used the Juice SC2 for about 6 years and LOVE it. I've also broken the tip off of the pliers and had LeatherMan send me a replacement for only the price of shipping the old one back. I agree with the post that said don't get enticed by too many features, I actually use the bottle-opener more than the knife on mine (opening boxes, prying things open, etc.)

I have two. One has nothing indicating a specific model. Perhaps it's the original?

The other is a Leatherman Flair. I picked it up as a closeout and it has some neat features including a small fork and butter knife. Great for spreading cheese on crackers and eating canned oysters and sardines. It is my hiking/backpacking tool.

Is anyone aware of a multitool that includes scissors, tweezers and pliers?

That's a good question. I was looking for the same thing when I decided on the Fuse for the scissors and pliers. You can supplement by carrying the Micra as well for the tweezers, but it would be nice to have all three together.

Is anyone aware of a multitool that includes scissors, tweezers and pliers?

That's a good question. I was looking for the same thing when I decided on the Fuse for the scissors and pliers. You can supplement by carrying the Micra as well for the tweezers, but it would be nice to have all three together.

After looking around at what's available in other brands, I'm thinking of just buying a Leatherman wave, and getting a decent set of tweezers at walmart to keep in my pack.

We both have Originals in our packs most of the time.

Used to always have a Swisschamp in the pack, but stopped after realizing the benefits of a multitool that actually fits the hand, allowing a bit more leverage/torque.

If we're biking or planning an extended hike, I'll replace the Original with a Charge Ti for the extra gizmos (which does include scissors.)

We both have A.G.Russell tweezers for ticks and those (similar) pesky nanos.

Ive carried a leatherman wave for over 8 years and i love it. IMO it has the most versatility compared to weight and size. I do miss the leather pouch mine ripped a few years ago. I fixed it with an alice clip but finally broke down and got a new synthetic one. I also have a leatherman mut, which is a military or more specifically AR geared tool. Both are excelent quality and very strong. I carry my wave on my hip and my mut is attached via molle to my 511 rush 24 i carry.

Add another vote for the Leatherman Wave. I got it two or three Christmases ago and I never leave home without it. It came with a leather case that I wear on my belt so I always have it with me. It's my go-to tool. Feels good in my hand. I use it all the time caching.

OK well I guess I can't edit my post more than once :rolleyes: so here's the total up to and including post 28

Leatherman Original xxxxx

Blast x

wave xxxxx

mini-leatherman xx

fuse xxx

squirt p4 x

micra xxxxxx

kick xx

Charge Ti xx

Juice KF4 x

Juice SC2 x

style cs x

Flair x

MUT x

crunch x

So far on the Leatherman popularity scale up to and including post 15:

Leatherman Original xx

Blast x

wave xx

mini-leatherman xx

fuse xx

squirt p4 x

micra xxxx

kick x

Charge Ti x

Juice KF4 x

Juice SC2 x

style cs x

I will put in my vote for a Gerber tool as well. I have owned a couple of leatherman tools over the years, and while they are great tools, I like the comfort of the Gerber Tool's pliers better. All of the tools open to the inside of the handle, so you have a nice smooth grip for those hard to open nanos, or other various repairs. The one I carry was the Super Contractor model if I remember correctly. i never leave home without it on my side.

I recently purchased my first Leatherman - a Surge. It accompanies me in my 4WD & is helpful around the camp fire. It has a leather pouch but far to heavy to carry any great distance. It has a tiny black screw driver which is ideal for removing logbooks from micros. One to add to the list by the looks of it.

My first Leatherman was the Original, they are uncomfortable to use and the screwdriver would always fold under pressure. Second is I think the Wave, very comfortable to use and locking blades, no more folding under pressure. I found a SOG by the roadside once and as mentioned above it is terrible hard on the hands, no idea where it is ATM, I put it away and forgot it. I carry my Leatherman in the leather case it came with but it's about worn out, time for a new case.

Thank you all for your input so far! Keep posting and I'll keep a running tally. FWIW, just purchased a Leatherman Wave and can't wait to come across a few microcaches that have gotten gummed up cause of the elements..and the majority seems to have an affinity for the classics, so I'll also be shopping for a Victornox Swiss Army Knife. Here's the total so far, up to and including post #37..

Leatherman Original xxxxxxx

Blast x

wave xxxxxxx

mini-leatherman xx

fuse xxx

squirt p4 x

micra xxxxxx

kick xx

Charge Ti xx

Juice KF4 x

Juice SC2 x

style cs x