v4.02 or v4.03 - What's the deal here?

Skippy2

My new Magellan Meridian GPS (Green?) arrived. Oh happy day. I believe it is v3.12 (from one of the startup screens). I have purchased a Lexar 128Mb SD and so far -- so good.

It is everyone's considered opinion then, that should upgrade (firmware) to 4.03,then?

I downloaded Version 4.02 software update from somewhere, not sure where.

Is this the correct procedure for doing the update?:

2. Connect receiver to PC using the PC or Power/Data Cable.

3. Turn on the receiver and press the NAV key.

4. Make sure the batteries are at least 50% full.

5. Clear memory (waypoints and routes will be lost) by pressing MENU from any screen, select ‘Setup’, ‘Clear Memory’, then select ‘All’ and ‘Yes’. The unit will turn off automatically.

Or maybe I shouldn't do the v4.02 thing. Where can I find v4.03

Those responding to this question will be remembered in my will or at least in my mind each time I use my little green (looks brown to me) beauty.

You might want to post this to the GPS Units and Software forum. You'll likely get better answers to your questions there. Oh yeah, and feel free to mention me in your will also.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I just loaded 4.03 (Meridian Platinum) because without it the 128M card isn't visible. According to what I've been able to figure out the GPS will hold upto 4 detailed map sections each of upto 16 Meg size. In other wors on;y 64 Meg of the card is usable. It there is a way around this let met know.

quote:
Originally posted by Dadto2:

I just loaded 4.03 (Meridian Platinum) because without it the 128M card isn't visible. According to what I've been able to figure out the GPS will hold upto 4 detailed map sections each of upto 16 Meg size. In other wors on;y 64 Meg of the card is usable. It there is a way around this let met know.

Is this what you've experienced? Or is it misinformation you've heard?

With the newest firmware version you can use up to 256meg cards. With a card reader you can put as many maps as you want up to the limit of the card memory.

I have seven maps on mine, at 122megs. My largest map is 34megs.

39197_2700.jpg

I am the result of genetic manipulation of superior Geocacher DNA. Faster, stronger with superior reasoning and logic.

Mokita!

There's a lot of 4.02'ing and 4.03'ing going on in this and other posts.

4.02 is for the Meridian series, in different incarnations, for the green and the other Meridian models.

4.03 is for the SportTrack series.

The Meridian and SportTrack units are not the same, so it is unwise to get them mixed up when you install/upgrade the firmware.

To avoid confusion for the viewing public and new geocachers, please post 4.02 when you mean 4.02, and 4.03 when you mean 4.03.

don

quote:
Originally posted by Cachetrotters:

There's a lot of _4.02_'ing and _4.03_'ing going on in this and other posts.

_4.02_ is for the _Meridian_ series, in different incarnations, for the green and the other Meridian models.

_4.03_ is for the _SportTrack_ series.

The Meridian and SportTrack units are not the same, so it is unwise to get them mixed up when you install/upgrade the firmware.

To avoid confusion for the viewing public and new geocachers, please post 4.02 when you mean 4.02, and 4.03 when you mean 4.03.

don

The latest OFFICIAL releases posted on the Magellan web site are:

Meridian (all but color): 4.02

Meridian Color: 4.01

SportTrak Map/Pro: 4.03

However, what many people are talking about is the beta, or unsupported releases that are available (at the Meridian Yahoo group, for example). These are the verions I am aware of:

Meridian Yellow/Green: 4.03

Meridian Gold/Plat: 4.06

Meridian Color: 4.02

Yes, there is a lot of confusion. But it is not the version number that needs clarifing as much as the unit it is intended for (i.e. Meridian Yellow/Green 4.03)

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

Just stick with the versions that are available from Magellan site for now (www. magellangps.com) because no one is really sure what the differences are between 4.02 and 4.06. As far as we know it could just be something to deal with the contrast (which has been the reason for other versions that where not released).

To get it to update do the following:

1. Turn NMEA off (menu-setting-NMEA-off)

2. Setting the baud rate to 4800 will get the unit recognized faster.

3. Have the unit on the position screen.

4. Start the magup program (have good batteries in device).

5. Agree to the demands of the program.

6. After it is done you may have to press goto-esc-enter to shut the unit down.

7. Power on the unit and clear all memory (save data first).

8. Customize as desired and send data back to unit.

P.S. I returned to 3.12 after trying 4.02 and 4.06.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

quote:
Originally posted by phantom4099:

Just stick with the versions that are available from Magellan site for now (www. magellangps.com) because no one is really sure what the differences are between 4.02 and 4.06. As far as we know it could just be something to deal with the contrast (which has been the reason for other versions that where not released).

Yeah, I'm not one for Beta testing. I only download from Magellan.

I haven't noticed any problems with 4.02. It improved my compass on my Platinum. No accuracy loss at all. The only thing I have noticed recently is the track line is smeared behind the cursor. This has happened since I started increasing my loaded waypoints from about 10 to 200. It may be a heavy draw on the processor.?!

39197_2700.jpg

I am the result of genetic manipulation of superior Geocacher DNA. Faster, stronger with superior reasoning and logic.

Mokita!

I just learned that you are looking for persons to include in your will. I have four kids that NEED to go to college and I drive a 1992 Caravan. Please consider me.

+++++++++++++++++==

Dorothy: "How can you talk if haven't got a brain?" Scarecrow: "I don't know. But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?"