October 2011 Photo Competition

Thanks to Happyshopper for choosing my photo for the "Stealth" theme!

The theme this month is "Wild Places"

Good luck and have fun!

The rules are the same as those used in previous months.....

1) The photo must be cache related and to do with a specific UK cache (any type including events), caching series or caching trip - please include a link to the cache or the GC.... code so we can see where the picture relates to.

2) Two photos per caching team or cacher. (Maybe 3 if you really have an extra pic that's great!)

3) A new thread is started each month, with the OP stating these rules.

4) The winner each month is decided by the winner from the previous month - the new winner starting the thread for the subsequent month. They may set a theme* if they wish.

5) Photos should be recent. Higher credit will be given to photos taken in the current month.

6) The competition runs from the 1st of the month, until a date specified in the OP by the previous months winner. This should give sufficient time for the winner (or other person if necessary) to start the new thread.

If you haven't already uploaded a photo, a good tip might be to upload to one of your log entries (it can just be 'post a note'). Then, display the photo and copy the URL to provide a link to the post. If it's not actually relevant to the cache you've used, delete the note and the photo - the URL will still work. On this forum, add a reply and click the small green tree icon above the text box and paste in your URL.

My first picture is of Loch Skeen, which is the highest large, natural upland loch in the Scottish Southern Uplands and is described as seldom still. Well I obviously got lucky when I was there last weekend!

badbfbb1-cbed-44ac-884a-49386e774052.jpg

My next picture is me on top of Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh. It's far from remote but it is wild when you are on top. You can see my trousers and jacket flapping in the wind.

07906798-800e-4262-a70a-2cd8e1b10136.jpg

Found today, on top of a windswept hill in deep dark Cornwallshire

a59736dc-0a60-4778-a583-2ef717a36ee9.jpg

Mulfra Quoit

No Thats Tescos :laughing: My husband and I went there nearly 10 years ago on our first holiday together. We spent a lot of the holiday visiting the ancient monuments and villages etc. The day we went here another couple were there with their young daughter, she was playing shops inside, more specifically tescos, and wanted to serve us. Comletely ruined any mysticism/history the site might have held for us, a had to be there moment but we still laugh about it. Perhaps we can revisit on our trip next year.

Found today, on top of a windswept hill in deep dark Cornwallshire

a59736dc-0a60-4778-a583-2ef717a36ee9.jpg

Mulfra Quoit

No Thats Tescos :laughing: My husband and I went there nearly 10 years ago on our first holiday together. We spent a lot of the holiday visiting the ancient monuments and villages etc. The day we went here another couple were there with their young daughter, she was playing shops inside, more specifically tescos, and wanted to serve us. Comletely ruined any mysticism/history the site might have held for us, a had to be there moment but we still laugh about it. Perhaps we can revisit on our trip next year.

Don't give Tesco any more ideas as to where to put there next shop!!

A couple from me.

4/10/11 GC2PMDJ Goldhanger West - 14 As wild as Essex gets. Apart from Friday and Saturday nights; the causeway across to Osea Island:

dec89fc8-1e8e-4ea7-b047-df43465545c6.jpg

A little older; GC2F03P Meet at The Old Forge (Inverie, Knoydart) from June this year. A view across the last great wilderness in Britain. There are few places wilder:

d9166c45-838c-4618-82ee-6b1f75413fa2.jpg

And a bonus shot from the same trip. I've never been anywhere more 'Wicker Man', with the sound of a chainsaw echoing up through the trees...

cfc6c1ed-014c-4bf0-81c4-8006044e78dc.jpg

There are some pretty impressive images so far, and its only halfway through the month. We were on the island of Bute on October 1st. Whilst the south of the UK was enjoying hot sunshine, we had rain, rain and more rain.

b787be8e-093a-4a0a-b372-916ae905e5d2.jpg

This was at Seal of Approval GCA3E5, where we saw the seals basking in the heavy rain.

f35fa3e8-76d7-4ec2-b923-03b42198632f.jpg

and this one was at We Shall Remember Them - Port Bannatyne - Bute GC15VRT. I think the rain stopped for a bit here.

Even with the wet weather it was a great day out. We can thoroughly recommend Bute for some high quality caching.

I'm enjoying everyone's photos. Keep posting!

I was on Bredon Hill to find the Topofthehill. cache ( GC1NMEC ). Bredon Hill, like most of Britain, hasn't been "wild" for several thousand years but during my walk I saw, in addition to the domesticated sheep, and cattle, and pheasants: a hare, a badger, a barn owl flying across a field (yes, in the middle of the afternoon afternoon), and two dragonflies flitting about in the October sunshine. Re-sizing the photo small enough for geocaching.com has blurred some of the detail but I like the dragonfly's monstrous shadow.

cfde1136-5c71-4ab5-a043-b905862b7ef1.jpg

Random sheep with Malvern view from the same footpath.

d6c6db52-f562-4b3e-8845-f1e83414401b.jpg