forum feature request

Mopar

Not sure if OpenTopic allows this or not....

Some other forums I use display a partial IP address of the poster. Not enough to access the user's machine, just enough to make it obvious that your not totally anonymous.

Something like 192.10.1.xxx

This way maybe we wont have to deal with quite so many sockpuppets if they know that everyone will be able to easily guess who they are, not just TPTB.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Well, one problem with that idea is that some of us have access to multiple internet providers and could easily post from 4.3.249.xxx with one account and 216.202.195.xxx with the other account. Choberiba is one of the folks with such an arrangement, though he didn't use it for Mitsuko.

It would keep a certain number of sock-puppets from trying, but I wonder if the privacy concerns (a /24 subnet can be easily narrowed down to a city, somewhat less easily to a neighborhood) would outweigh the "troll" concerns.

warm.gif

you are right Fuzzy. I had a friend who had dealings with a real life sockpuppet. The person went to the extreme of having a separate cell phone so the puppet would have a phone number. But thats extreme, and even at that, eventually the one above messed up and was caught. I think it WOULD stop 90% of the problem, and act as a deterrent to future sockpuppets. Some people act very different when they think they are anonymous (even though we know that nobody on the net is truly anonymous). Just having it in the open that they are not has acted as a huge deterrent on other forums.

AS for the privacy thing, to some extent you are correct. The reality is though, that anyone who logs their finds/hinds online here has probably already reveled where they live and work. It's been demonstrated elsewhere that most geocachers spiral out from home/work as they cache. Their early finds are close to home or work, and slowly get further away. So the privacy think is a non-issue in my book, and far outweighed by the benefits.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I have the addresses and telephone numbers of many forum posters, because I'm a sociopath...

I only use my powers for good, though. Such as the time this kid was going around looting caches and bragging in the logs, a couple months back. He was quite surprised to get a call.

IP addresses can help narrow things down, but I've never had one lead directly to an identification. Its always the little bread crumbs which stack together to make.. er... bread balls...

Frankly, I think it's none of anyone's (but the admins') darn business what my IP is, or even my netblock.

If I'm taking a lunch at work, I don't want that plastered anywhere. If I'm making a quick post from the sound board before a Sunday service, I don't want that plastered anywhere. And if I happen to actually be at home, well, for the love of Peter, Paul, and Mary, don't I have enough people scanning my netblock (cable modem)?

So, let me reiterate. I am absolutely, positively, and in all other ways against even joking about this. (So is that a clear enough statement of opposition?)

Have any of you upstanding geocachers ever thought why someone even needs a sock puppet account? The reason I have one and I am sure a lot of others feel the same if you are a new bee you tear them apart on here and remind them that they only have eight finds or so and that they don’t have the experience it takes to login and post to the forums. All of the high posters on the forums with big posting numbers have very few real cache finds compared to the post numbers. I know there are a few that have high numbers on both, but most don’t. It seems like that all the forums posting that you do makes you some sort of expert on the subject of geocaching and all related maters, but you are not, and so you make a game out of doing it. So until some of you stop bashing every idea that comes along just because its not your idea. I am sure that a lot of the sock puppet accounts will stop when you realizes that you are not gods gift to geocaching and chill out a little.