Lots of changes -- intentional?

travisl

If it's just me, tell me and I'll adjust, but FWIW:

I just logged a find on GC8012. Comparing the cache page to the one I printed out this morning, I'm seeing a few things different.

- The font used for the cache name and the byline are bigger than they were before.

- ''Convert to NAD27 or UTM'' has changed to ''UTM: 10 N 5219076 E 553534 or convert to NAD27 at Jeeep.com''. The link to Jeeep.com doesn't convert it (''Coordinates are not inside conterminous 48 States, no NAD-27 data provided'')

- ''Additional hints can be decrypted below. You can decrypt the hunt with the chart, or you can cheat.'' has been changed to ''Additional hints (Decrypt)'', with the decryption key to the right of it, instead of below.

- The ''...nearby benchmarks'' link is missing

- After each cacher's name, it no longer shows their found count: ''September 15 by travisl (138 found)'' no longer has the ''(138 found)''.

- It's added the word ''permanently'' to ''You can {edit}, {delete} or {permanently encrypt} this log entry''

- ''There are more logs. Click here to view them or view them all on one page'' has changed to ''There are more logs. View them all on one page''

- And new to the page, ''Last Generated: 9/15/2002 5:01:50 PM Render Method: Not Cached''

Of these, I think I'll miss the cacher's find count the most (it gives a good indication of the cacher's experience level), the auto link to Jeeep.com next, and the benchmark link third.

I've also noticed on another cache that some cacher's names are duplicated. For example, GC6995 shows ''July 27 by Belleterre (Belleterre)''. On another (GC262E), clicking the ''decrypt'' link on a log entry reloads the page with the top hint decrypted, but doesn't decrypt the entry.

Odd stuff...

"Why don't you just ask somebody?"

"No, no. I've got a map. Don't worry about that."

quote:
Originally posted by travisl:

If it's just me, tell me and I'll adjust, but FWIW:

I don't think it's just you. I thought I borked my browser settings, but I'm seeing the same thing.

----------

I will prepare food with my iron fist!

Then I will work my way up to ruling you all with my fist!

Some of these changes I actually like (such as the decrypt key showing up to the right of the cheater hints).

Some of these changes, Jeremy has warned us were coming (such as removing the find counts from each cache page). And if any of the changes helps with site performance, then you won't hear a peep from me.

But some of these changes are annoying, especially the loss of all html formatting that people have carefully added to their logs. Boldfacing? gone. Hyperlinks? gone. Tables? gone. JamieZ will be apoplectic, given the hours he spent on the masterful PaterQuest logs.

Hopefully the loss of html in cache logs might be temporary????

See Jeremy's admin announcement about the changes HERE. He invites bug reports and I'm crossing my fingers.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

A computer without Microsoft software is like a dog without a brick tied to its neck.

Strange. I had thought I transferred over the code for formatting. If you can post the caches with formatting that no longer works, let me know them and I'll investigate.

Two fixes as of travis' recent post: The Jeeep link is now fixed, and I added benchmark searches back to the page.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Jeremy -

THANKS for your prompt reply!

THANKS for adding back the nearest benchmarks!

For some samples of cache logs with basic html formatting, look at the 20 linked logs for The Leprechauns' Labor Day Cache-a-Thon, September 1st and 2nd, beginning at Best for Last Cache, or more importantly, check the PaterQuest logs beginning at This Archived Cache.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

A computer without Microsoft software is like a dog without a brick tied to its neck.

Cool. Anything that makes these pages speedy on a Sunday evening while still conveying most of the same information is great. Thanks for getting the nearby benchmarks back and the Jeeep link working (it used to open a new window; now I have to click ''back'' -- intentional change?)

I'll miss the find counts, but I understand the need for their removal.

Thanks for the lightning speed responses, and for what is truly great web design (I've been beside myself for the last nine months over how clean and uncluttered this site is, while still conveying all the necessary information).

"Why don't you just ask somebody?"

"No, no. I've got a map. Don't worry about that."

Ouch.

I gotta say that, although in the past it did work, the formatting using HTML was never actually formatted. Enforcing stronger rules has caused some of these logs problems. I do have basic UBB code that can be used in logs however. I'll try to quickly publish this document soon.

Also, I'll see what I can do about formatting old cache logs.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

The cache size description (normal, micro, etc.) is missing from the printer friendly version of the page.

Missing as in not there. This is exactly the same missing as the missing cache size description in the ebook Pocket Query versions of cache pages.

Could we PLEASE get it changed so that it is no longer MISSING? Both in the printer friendly version and in the ebook version?

Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

JamieZ will be apoplectic, given the hours he spent on the masterful PaterQuest logs.

Shudder! Gone... work... days... hours... blurry vision... HTML... links... tables... typing... saving... pasting... LID's... thinking... end of world...

Jeremy, um... please... please, for the love of god... look at this mess. This used to be one of the "masterful" (thanks, Lep. icon_smile.gif ) logs from PaterQuest, now turned into an unreadable mass of greater-than/less-than signs and random capital letters.

How can I go on with my life?

For real. Please tell us that HTML in the logs is not forever gone.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

JamieZ will be apoplectic, given the hours he spent on the masterful PaterQuest logs.

Shudder! Gone... work... days... hours... blurry vision... HTML... links... tables... typing... saving... pasting... LID's... thinking... end of world...

Jeremy, um... please... please, for the love of god... look at this mess. This used to be one of the "masterful" (thanks, Lep. icon_smile.gif ) logs from PaterQuest, now turned into an unreadable mass of greater-than/less-than signs and random capital letters.

How can I go on with my life?

For real. Please tell us that HTML in the logs is not forever gone.

Jamie

I think I've found a fix...

See here.

It seems that viewing a log on the "photo album" page still recognizes HTML..

So.. if I create an image for each log (say, a small PaterQuest logo) and then go back and edit each of my 40 (oh my) logs in the PaterQuest series so that the links point to the HTMLable logs, I'm in business.

Of course, anyone simply reading the cache pages and accompanying logs will think I'm really strange... but what can you do.

Jeremy, shall I do this, or are you looking into making the HTML work?

It seems to recognize some tags, such as bold and center... but imbedded links and horizontal lines no longer work.

Hummmmmm.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:

Actually if you can restrict or ignore some of the nonsense** that gets inserted to cache descriptions, that would be a GOOD thing. icon_wink.gif

** i.e. background tiles, sounds, ``interesting'' fonts (that look like crap 90% of the time), etc...

Amen, brutha. icon_wink.gif

I mentioned it in some other thread somewhere too... the last thing I want on my (imho) "neat" cache pages are a bunch of logs with multicolored text, scrolling lines, and fonts of all different sizes.

- Toe.

--==< Rubbertoe's Webcam, Photo Albums, and Homepage >==--

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:

Actually if you can restrict or ignore some of the nonsense** that gets inserted to cache descriptions, that would be a GOOD thing. icon_wink.gif

** i.e. background tiles, sounds, ``interesting'' fonts (that look like crap 90% of the time), etc...

Amen, brutha. icon_wink.gif

I mentioned it in some other thread somewhere too... the last thing I want on my (imho) "neat" cache pages are a bunch of logs with multicolored text, scrolling lines, and fonts of all different sizes.

- Toe.

--==< Rubbertoe's Webcam, Photo Albums, and Homepage >==--

Someone else noted that the cache size (micro, regular, etc.) is missing from the new print friendly version.

First of all, I love the new print friendly version - it saves so much paper, it's great!

However, I printed out five pages before going off on an out of town business trip. I found the five caches this evening but it was frustrating at times guessing what I was looking for. Luckily in most cases it was pretty obvious once I got close! I would like to see that feature return though.

~erik~

I'm just curious if HTML will be allowed in logs again, because if it is not, I'll need to go in and change some of my logs, because right now they are unreadable, not to mention my links no longer work.

If HTML will be allowed and will be fixed soon, I have no problem waiting patiently for that to happen... but I'd like to know what direction to go.

I've already gotten two emails telling me my links in the PaterQuest logs do not work. I'd like to fix that, or have that fixed.

Jamie

Jamie,

I hate to say this (and don't hit me!) but the ability to add tables and other html elements to the logs was unintentional. I suppose you could call it an unintentional "feature" previously. As a result your logs were broken and formatted incorrectly.

I have been mulling over the best way to fix this so you wouldn't have to go back and edit your logs. I have yet to find something that will work. What I will tell you, however, is that I will be putting together a similar UBB setup so you can use [] tags to do colors and such.

A thousand apologies, and I do understand your issues.

Jeremy Irish

Jeremy.. thanks for the feedback. I understand your position.

No problems, but are you gonna freak if I upload a small image to each of my logs so that I can utilize the photo-album log, which still recognizes HTML?

In that way, I can still link all my caches, with the HTML still in tact.. although the "plain" logs will look very confusing.

Jamie