Challenges?

Draggo1

Locating challenges on the Iphone application doesn't exist. In the search section there should

be a section under advanced search. Also searching for them by their code should be an option.

Is a challenge considered a geocache. If it is doing a search for a nearby challenge should show

up in the search along with it's own unique icon.

A challenge is no longer considered to count in your find total, I guess that means it isn't a cache.

I'm no expert on them, but as far as I know the only way to look for them is on your PC, via the 'PLAY' tab on the left. There you have the option to look for them via zip code, or perhaps city,state.

These are supposed to be added to the PQ options soon someday...perhaps at the same time 'favorites' are added to PQ functionality.

Interestingly, the 'challenge' app is free, but I had to pay $10 for the poorly-functioning Geocaching app.

Of course, maybe the 'challenge' app is even more dismal.

What do you find "poorly-functioning" about the GeoCache app? Granted, there could be some changes to it, but overall it's not a bad app. It does what it needs to do. Myself, I just wish the GPS feature in the iPhone was more accurate. It's frustrating landing someplace to find that the map images aren't available or are extremely poor quality and then look at the GPS and see that it has an accuracy of 100 meters. That leaves one huge area to search and pretty much drives me nuts, because I'll search as much as I can. At least if the maps are there I can have a visual.

MULLY

Is a challenge considered a geocache.

No, it isn't. They're both location (mostly) based games and are managed through same website (though, the mobile apps are different), but that's about the extent of the similarities. Perhaps with the upcoming release tomorrow they might share some other common features like the ability to get a list of them via a pocket query and the ability to add them to a watch list.

Does anyone know how to search for a challenge by searching for the name of it? I know the name of one but can't find anywhere to search for it. Help please.

I don't know of a way to do it directly on Geocaching.com, but a formatted Google search should work. You can use the "site:" search operator in a Google search to look for challenges on the Geocaching site that include your keyword someplace on the page.

For example, to locate challenges that have the word "Washington" in the page, Google "Washington site:http://www.geocaching.com/challenges/".

I tried to use the Google "allinurl:" operator to further restrict the search to challenges that use the search keyword in the page's URL (which is a variation of the challenge's name), but Google's allinurl operator doesn't seem to work if you include the "/challenges/" text in the site filter.

What do you find "poorly-functioning" about the GeoCache app? Granted, there could be some changes to it, but overall it's not a bad app. It does what it needs to do. Myself, I just wish the GPS feature in the iPhone was more accurate. It's frustrating landing someplace to find that the map images aren't available or are extremely poor quality and then look at the GPS and see that it has an accuracy of 100 meters. That leaves one huge area to search and pretty much drives me nuts, because I'll search as much as I can. At least if the maps are there I can have a visual.

MULLY

Actually it's not the app itself, but the API it depends upon.

Specifically, ignored caches still show up in searches, and take up space I need for caches I actually want to see/look for/find.

I'm almost certain this wouldn't be a problem in your area, but it surely is here in AZ.