Webcam caches

Stuey

Does anyone else get fed up with people logging "Webcam photo taken" logs on webcam caches when either the webcam is down or they were unable to get someone to capture their picture for them? A photo of themselves with a digital camera is certainly not a webcam photo!

In my opinion they should either post a note or a DNF if they are unable to do it properly..... even if they got up at stupid o'clock and/or travelled a million miles to get there.

Does anyone else get fed up with people logging "Webcam photo taken" logs on webcam caches when either the webcam is down or they were unable to get someone to capture their picture for them? A photo of themselves with a digital camera is certainly not a webcam photo!

Agreed!

We've done a few webcam caches and always make sure we do them properly and it's really irritating when other people just claim them.

We spent a good ten minutes standing in the middle of the road at Oxford Circus the other day because that's how long it took!

Even really good quality ones like the Warwick Uni Cam have people just posting photos of themselves. There's no excuse!

This log really takes the biscuit!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=0e9b5743-0b6f-42d5-b00d-bfdc78c0a4a9

:mad: :mad:

Mark

Might you be having a moan about a log by a cacher called IndiHM on the Abbey Road cache. It is rather a poor attempt isn't it. :anibad:

I'm not going to mention specific people/logs as there are hundreds of poor attempts. The IndiHM Abbey Road log is excellent by the way, nice and clear.

We've done a few webcam caches and always make sure we do them properly and it's really irritating when other people just claim them.

We spent a good ten minutes standing in the middle of the road at Oxford Circus the other day because that's how long it took!

I'll hold my hand up to one that I logged 7 years ago where the owner specifically stated that it was OK to log a picture of the webcam instead. I also logged two abroad which was during the time when a few were turned into "Virtuals".

Any webcam that is working should be used, but an emphasis should also be directed to webcam owners to check the url's of the cameras on their cache pages to make sure they are still correct and also be strict with the logs received.

We spent almost 30 minutes at Oxford Circus a few weeks ago, and almost as long at Abbey Road last week. They take a bit of planning and effort, and a mobile device or someone at home to help.

Might you be having a moan about a log by a cacher called IndiHM on the Abbey Road cache. It is rather a poor attempt isn't it. :anibad:

I'm not going to mention specific people/logs as there are hundreds of poor attempts. The IndiHM Abbey Road log is excellent by the way, nice and clear.

It's a shop. I can tell by the pixels and from having seen quite a few in my time. ;)

It's a shop. I can tell by the pixels and from having seen quite a few in my time. ;)

Yep, I think you're right.

Back to the OP, webcams can be difficult to organise if you don't have someone available or the technology required to grab the image, but IMHO it's down to the cache owner whether they'll accept camera/phone pics from the ground, or even a shopped image as above. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Yep, I think you're right.

Oh yes! It looks too focussed compared to the other ones.

As CO of Coniston webcam cache I police logs and with my own smartphone was able to record the picture with me in it in less than one minute. By bookmarking the image, not cache page. And being fluent with recording an image from mobile browser. If cachers log any of my virtuals incorreectly, they hear from me. Webcam caches are coming back into their own with smartphones.

But the log from the ironically named fixitsmith was allowed to stand :shocked:

As CO of Coniston webcam cache I police logs and with my own smartphone was able to record the picture with me in it in less than one minute. By bookmarking the image, not cache page. And being fluent with recording an image from mobile browser. If cachers log any of my virtuals incorreectly, they hear from me. Webcam caches are coming back into their own with smartphones.

No it was not.

You have to give loggers time to sort themselves out. Not everyone is clever enough to upload picture as they log

Now gone, if you look. Took a while, not everyone is as alert and checks their mail daily.

No it was not.

You have to give loggers time to sort themselves out. Not everyone is clever enough to upload picture as they log

Now gone, if you look. Took a while, not everyone is as alert and checks their mail daily.

Must be a coincidence then as it was still there when I looked immediately prior to making my post .....

Does anyone else get fed up with people logging "Webcam photo taken" logs on webcam caches when either the webcam is down or they were unable to get someone to capture their picture for them?

I'm an even grumpier old git :lol: . I get more fed up with people calling them "caches" in the first place, when I struggle to see what they have in common with a cache!

One more of these things that has a place, but that place shouldn't be on a geocache listing site!

Rgds, Andy