A controversial issue

drsolly

When you sign a cache log, you put name and date. But do you put name and then date, or date and then name?

I put name and then date.

Being something of a radical free thinker I usually do whatever the people on the log before me have done. Unless I'm in the US where sometimes I log caches writing the date in US format and sometimes just to confuse people I write it in English format. That's more fun when the day is less than 12 so people can guess for themselves whether 8/6 means August 6 or June 8.

If I'm FTF I do whatever I feel like on the day, secure in the knowledge that as other people copy me I'll come to be seen as a radical trend setter rather than a timid follower.

Unless it's a nano, when being FTF means I get to write "Thanks ever so much for such a fun cache. I found it on the twenty third day of October in the year two thousand and eleven at about half past three in the afternoon" which means I get to log FTF and immediately log it as Needs Maintenance because the log is full.

I put the name first because I can usually remember that, then I try to remember what the date is, which is more difficult, because it changes every day.

That is the reason we put the date first.

Once we've discovered the date, on the thingy that led us to the cache , on a good day :D we can then just about remember who we are .

If we are doing a few caches I am so sad as I write the date on the back of my hand - saves me asking Mr MJ as I always sign the logs(unless there is a bit of a scrabble up and then I 'allow' him the important job of signing LOL') so date then name from me as I can just about remember that :blink:

I have no idea why but I put date then name and almost always have to ask Mr H what the date is. It would really save time if I was writing the name while asking what the date is but then I'd probably forget what he said and have to ask again! Being a teacher who writes the date out in long and short forms 5 out of 7 days every week you'd think I would be able to remember what is was, but no. Some days I have to ask on every cache because I've forgotten by the time we get to the next one! (Yesterday, however, I did manage to remember after only having to ask once.)

Oh gosh, I can't even remember how I signed the last log, let alone remembering to do it the same way each time! :unsure:

the only thing which seems to stay the same for me is writing mellers with a lower case M... except when I don't... :P

I think MOSTLY I put the date first, as it's the key thing for so many challenges etc, but I really like to ring the changes ("Hey, don't pigeonhole me, man - I'm a free spirit."). Not only do I often write things in different order, but I often like to write the date in long-hand e.g. 2nd October 2011 (if it's a big log book) as opposed to the quicker 2/10/11.

Loving the silliness sorry, seriousness of the thread...!

Sorry if this is going off topic as time wasn't mentioned in the original question :) , but we usually put the time in as well if it's an FTF so the next person will be either kicking themselves for missing it by a few minutes or consoling themselves in the knowledge that they were hours off the pace anyway... B)

Mark

You cannot be "a bit unique"

At last, a controversial issue.

Commonly acceptable or not, I quite like "a bit unique". It indicates uniqueness with respect to small details (that, hey, could have unique realisation by chance) rather than by coarse-grained macro features (twelve heads?! - that's really very unique!).

Now please argue among yourselves while I sleep. Thank you.

Not so long ago I wrote the right date, but the wrong name...

...on a cheque. Not sure if a bank would honour one signed Simply Paul so I ripped it up and started again... One step worse than the old Cache/Cash slip-up :blink:

Banks don't actually check your signature as a matter of routine. I know this, because the signature I use for signing cheques is completely different from any specimen I've ever given them, it's just a squiggle that could be anything. If you think about it, the labour cost of routinely checking each cheque would be immense.

But when I sign a cache log, it isn't just a squiggle.

Squiggle.

Squiggle.

What a lovely word.

Excuse me, I think I just digressed.

The date, a few words about the cache, a TNLN note (or a rare TSLS one), a TFTC and a happy face (thus: :) ) and then the whole log is signed Simply Paul. Micros, less. Nanos; SP and short date (eg '2/10') if there's room. Just SP if there's not. So, date first, unless it's a nano, oddly!

I sign SP too! so which one of us is SParticus, I'm SParticus!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry if this is going off topic as time wasn't mentioned in the original question :) , but we usually put the time in as well if it's an FTF so the next person will be either kicking themselves for missing it by a few minutes or consoling themselves in the knowledge that they were hours off the pace anyway... B)

I do the same (not that I have many FTFs).

I've noticed in some countries people routinely put the time as well.

Date first, definitely. Sometimes the right date, but otherwise generally within a month or so either side. :rolleyes:

If it's an FTF (which is getting rare these days), or even a near miss, then I put the time too. :)

Then name. Unless it's a nano, in which case m-m or m2 will do. Or when I've forgotten a pen (this happens rather too frequently) - anything resembling an initial that I can manage to etch with a sharp stick.

And hopefully, if it's bigger than a micro log sheet, then a few words about the experience too! B)

Banks don't actually check your signature as a matter of routine. I know this, because the signature I use for signing cheques is completely different from any specimen I've ever given them, it's just a squiggle that could be anything. If you think about it, the labour cost of routinely checking each cheque would be immense.

For as long as they have a steady stream of money coming in, yes. But try changing your bank, maybe closing the account or transferring to another branch and I'd recommend taking a good (long) read. <_<

Usually I sign our name (resisting the urge to sign my own name) then I put a comment if there is room, then I usually go back and fill in the date wherever there's space and try to conform to the set pattern.

Now if the question is what do you write then it has to be date then name. Wait date then initials. No its ... oh it's never the same twice that's for sure.

However like others, I now too use a stamp (because it really does save time!!!! So then it's stamp. Drat forgot pen so date goes out the window. One less thing to remember at least and if I can't even remember a pen how on earth am I to remember an ever changing made up concept???

So stamp it is then. Often the wrong way up since I had to have the stamp replaced. I can't even remember to put it the right way round.

Edited by metal-bijou

Not so long ago I wrote the right date, but the wrong name...

...on a cheque. Not sure if a bank would honour one signed Simply Paul so I ripped it up and started again... One step worse than the old Cache/Cash slip-up :blink:

But when I sign a cache log, it isn't just a squiggle.

Squiggle.

Squiggle.

What a lovely word.

Excuse me, I think I just digressed.

Digressing a little further, I always like squiggle as slang for squirrel. They are kind of squiggle-shaped.

As this is turning into such a serious examination of caching habits, might I just add:

Hold the Garmin in the left hand leaving the thumb free to operate the screen, at the same time sign the log with the right hand.

When you have finished signing the date will be displayed on the calender page of the GPS.

This has proved a real boon in high muggle areas as it saves so much time.

The decision of date or name first is dictated by the whim of the cacher, if we where all the same the caches would all be easy to find!

Just think....Nanos at the base of a tree! AHHHHH!!

Returning to Periscope depth.........

Cheers

Moose07

Sometimes I write the date as 9.10.11 and sometimes as 9/10/11. The first form economises on ink, and that's the form I prefer, but sometimes I forget and use the second form. Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

I Trust the good Dr is refering to the Late Oscar Wilde?

"Sanity is a playground for the sluggish mind"

"Consistency: The last refuge of the unimaginative mind."

The Pen I prefer is the Papermate Flexgrip, it works well even on damp paper.

Have tried other pens including Gell ,but nothing has been found yet to rival the Flexgrip.

The trouble with stamps is that they lack that personal touch,so robotic.

Diveing to Periscope depth...

Cheers

Moose07

Sometimes I write the date as 9.10.11 and sometimes as 9/10/11. The first form economises on ink, and that's the form I prefer, but sometimes I forget and use the second form. Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

I Trust the good Dr is refering to the Late Oscar Wilde?

"Sanity is a playground for the sluggish mind"

"Consistency: The last refuge of the unimaginative mind."

The Pen I prefer is the Papermate Flexgrip, it works well even on damp paper.

Have tried other pens including Gell ,but nothing has been found yet to rival the Flexgrip.

The trouble with stamps is that they lack that personal touch,so robotic.

Diveing to Periscope depth...

Cheers

Moose07

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I carry four writing implements.

1) A pencil. Also useful for poking into holes.

2) A WIZO ballpoint. This is the general purpose writer, acquired at a recent WIZO car rally (which we won :-) ).

3) A gel pen; that works on damp or even soaking wet paper.

4) A large red felt-tip pen; that's useful for correcting grammar and spelling mistakes on notices, such as surplus apostrophes and missing spaces. "Thank you" is two words, so is "car park". It's my small contribution to reducing the vandalisation of English.