Things that Muggles say

bascrd

A couple weeks ago a new set of geocaches appeared around my town. Part of the directions was to find them after dark, so naturally we followed them. The cache was attached to the bottom of the sign about 25 feet from an intersection with a stop light. I get on my hands and knees to start looking and I hear a muggle yell, "what are you looking for" from there car. I quickly explain geocaching to them and they yell back, "wait you came all the way to new jersey just to find a box." Before I could explain that they are all over the world and I live down the street the light turned and they drove away, probably thinking that I came from some far off state or country just to crawl in a parking lot.

What are some silly things muggles have said to you when they see you geocaching

A couple weeks ago a new set of geocaches appeared around my town. Part of the directions was to find them after dark, so naturally we followed them. The cache was attached to the bottom of the sign about 25 feet from an intersection with a stop light. I get on my hands and knees to start looking and I hear a muggle yell, "what are you looking for" from there car. I quickly explain geocaching to them and they yell back, "wait you came all the way to new jersey just to find a box." Before I could explain that they are all over the world and I live down the street the light turned and they drove away, probably thinking that I came from some far off state or country just to crawl in a parking lot.

What are some silly things muggles have said to you when they see you geocaching

I get "Did you lose something?". I get it all the time.

I just explain I am looking for something hidden. They usually say "Ahh.. Geocache?"

Shaun

Went looking for a cache in Burlington, VT a couple of weeks ago and almost tripped over a muggle in the woods behind a health food store. He was using some "medicinal herbs" and asked me if I worked for the University and was looking for plants. I had to chuckle a bit and just said I was out for a walk. He was practically sitting on the GZ so I didn't get to officially find it and sign. Wonder if he goes to the health food store when he gets the munchies? :laughing:

After a cop car pulled me over for "suspicious activity" and realizing I was not with the hooker walking down the street, 2 cops helped me search with their bright flashlights for about 20 minutes for one before they got a call. They were as determined as me to find it! I believe it was at the base of a LP, because I kicked it a few times and it wouldn't budge. It was awesome seeing the cops take turns kicking it to loosen it up too :unsure:

Several times we have had people stop and ask if everything is OK. I respond with what we are doing and a quick explanation. We actually got this last night after dark and the driver of the other vehicle was laughing the word "Geocaching" as he drove away.

The day after Thanksgiving we had someone come running out of their house on a back road and stop us. The gentleman asked what we were doing so I explained it. He then asked me, "How do you make money doing it?". I told him we don't make money, but that we do it for fun. He stared like we were aliens... He then sound it "Sounds like a good way to get shot out here..." I know this guy, but I'm sure he has no clue who I am. He then went on to tell me where the next two caches were hid because he found them mowing, but left them alone once he read the log.

We get funny looks also... part and parcel...

on my first hunt in 2 years (my second hunt ever) i got stopped by a man in a pickup truck. here is what i wrote in my blog about it.

i also ran into my first muggle here. he was a curmudgeonly old man in a pickup truck. he called me over as i was coming down from where the cache was and the conversation went something like this.

Him: “can you tell me what you were doing in that tree?”

Me: “oh have you ever heard of geocaching?”

Him: *WTF Face*

Me: “Its a game. people hide things and you go online, find out where they are, and then go find them. its a game”

Him: *i just ate a lemon face*

Me: “its a fun thing to do in your spare time”

Him in a very these kids today tone of voice: “do you have work”?

Me: “Yeah i have work but not today.”

then he drove off. i was just waiting for the “in my day…” speech.

BTW, if anyone wants to check out my geocaching Tumblr here's the url

http://arcadiaexeter.tumblr.com

as soon as i figure out how to make a sig on here it'll be in there too :P

My wife and I were finishing up a series of caches along a rail trail in town a month ago and ended up running into three more cachers along the way. On one particularly challenging part all five of us were wandering around GZ looking high and low. Mostly we just looked lost. Well I had climbed up onto an embankment to get a different perspective on things when I notice a muggle (who didn't appear to be all there mentally) coming down the rail trail. He just stares at the five of us and the proceeds to ask my wife if I'm going to steal his car. Apparently his car was parked behind me in the parking lot.

Wife: *Proceeds to explain geocaching*

Guy: *blank stare* ... "You're sure he's not going to mess with my car?"

Us: We're positive

After the guy wandered off we did find the cache.