UNIQUE AGENCY

kayakbird

Even though I am sure you knew this, for my own education I had to find out what the agencies were:

In 1938, the Civil Aeronautics Act transferred federal responsibilities for non-military aviation from the Bureau of Air Commerce to a new, independent agency, the Civil Aeronautics Authority. The legislation also gave the authority the power to regulate airline fares and to determine the routes that air carriers would serve.

In 1940, President Franklin Roosevelt split the authority into two agencies, the Civil Aeronautics Administration (
CAA
) and the Civil Aeronautics Board (
CAB
). The CAA was responsible for air traffic control, safety programs, and airway development. The CAB was entrusted with safety rulemaking, accident investigation, and economic regulation of the airlines. Although both organizations were part of the Department of Commerce, the CAB functioned independently. When a Douglas DC-3A crashed shortly after departing Washington DC on August 31, 1940 the CAB had their first major investigation, that of the Lovettsville Air Disaster set the pattern for subsequent accident investigations.

In 1942, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt appointed L. Welch Pogue as Chairman of the Civil Aeronautics Board. Pogue served as Chairman until 1946. During his tenure he helped strike down a plan for a single world airline.

After World War II began in Europe, the CAA launched the Civilian Pilot Training Program to provide the nation with more aviators. On the eve of America's entry into the conflict, the agency began to take over operation of airport control towers, a role that eventually became permanent. During the war, the CAA also greatly enlarged its en route air traffic control system. In 1944, the United States hosted a conference in Chicago that led to the establishment of the International Civil Aviation Organization and set the framework for future aviation diplomacy.

In the post-war era, the application of radar to air traffic control helped controllers to keep abreast of the postwar boom in air transportation. In 1946, Congress gave the CAA the task of administering a federal-aid airport program aimed exclusively at promoting development of the nation's civil airports.

edited to add: I checked Texas and did not find any "CAA" monumented marks. I did not check for "CAB" as the monumenting agency.

Edited by TillaMurphs

Don't see any CAA/CAB owners in Michigan. Though there are other agencies that show up. (And oddly enough all the CORS entries I have showed up as "-Unknown-" probably because there is no "Monumented" line. (I changed that in my current database to NGS since they seem to be the ones doing it.)

Here are a few:

Alaska

- Monumented

- Recovery

- Recovery

Maine

- Monumented

New Jersey

- Monumented

- Recovery

- Recovery

- Monumented