Dissappointed in Reviewer

teamniggel

In a 2003 Family Fun Magazine, I read about this new sport called geocaching. Hmm, I had recently purchased a GPS unit for my husband (because he tended to get lost). This sounded like the perfect sport-fun for the whole family. We would go in spurts. We are one of the founding members of Tallahassee Area Geocachers, and I said we have spawned more others teams than most as my children grew up and started their own teams (teamRoland, Electric Mayhem, Infamous Green), as well as introducing our friends(Lynda has far more geocaches than I do, and is now President of TAG).

Years ago, someone did a Halloween Geocache. Gave the coordinates and said that you had to knock on the door, and say, "Trick or Cache". It sounded really neat, although we didn't get to do it because our children were still trick or treating around the neighborhood. It just sounded like fun.

Fast forward-my husband died two years ago. To honor his memory last year, we bought pathtags, and tried to set up an event cache. We were told that we didn't do it in time. I pleaded with the reviewer, explaining why it was so important to us. He said too many people were "getting together for breakfast, and claiming an event cache". This year, we tried again, determined to give ourselves plenty of time. Again, we were turned down. I don't expect anything to come of this, but needed to tell someone that this reviewer seems to have no heart.

... This year, we tried again, determined to give ourselves plenty of time. Again, we were turned down. I don't expect anything to come of this, but needed to tell someone that this reviewer seems to have no heart.

So what was the reason the reviewer gave for not being able to publish this year's event?

The Guidelines for setting geocaches have developed over the years as the game has become more and more popular world-wide. Caches that may have been acceptable 3... 5... 8 years ago are not always acceptable today: Requirements have changed as Guidelines have been reviewed and updated.

The reviewers have to work to the current set of guidelines. If you believe that your reviewer has been unreasonable, or you feel that your situation is a "special case" then you can always appeal to Groundspeak to have your cache reconsidered.

MrsB :)

... This year, we tried again, determined to give ourselves plenty of time. Again, we were turned down. I don't expect anything to come of this, but needed to tell someone that this reviewer seems to have no heart.

So what was the reason the reviewer gave for not being able to publish this year's event?

The Guidelines for setting geocaches have developed over the years as the game has become more and more popular world-wide. Caches that may have been acceptable 3... 5... 8 years ago are not always acceptable today: Requirements have changed as Guidelines have been reviewed and updated.

The reviewers have to work to the current set of guidelines. If you believe that your reviewer has been unreasonable, or you feel that your situation is a "special case" then you can always appeal to Groundspeak to have your cache reconsidered.

MrsB :)

The reviewer said it had to be geocache specific, and to resubmit it stating that there would be an area for geocachers to talk about nothing but geocaching (in other words-lie). To me, it is chance to introduce geocaching to people who would not normally hear about it, and explain how much fun geocaching is. I do not know how to ask for a "special case" exemption.

The reviewer said it had to be geocache specific, and to resubmit it stating that there would be an area for geocachers to talk about nothing but geocaching (in other words-lie). To me, it is chance to introduce geocaching to people who would not normally hear about it, and explain how much fun geocaching is. I do not know how to ask for a "special case" exemption.

Forgetting for now about your first sentence, how is a geocaching event going to introduce geocaching to non-cachers? How are non-cachers even going to hear about the event in the first place, and why would they want to attend, if they have no knowledge of geocaching?

As to your first sentence, I'm sure that you misunderstood what your reviewer was telling you. No event that I have ever attended had a specific area dedicated to talking about nothing but geocaching, and I'm sure that nobody else has, either.

Here is what the guidelines have to say about Events:

5. Event Caches

Event caches are gatherings that are organized by geocachers and are open to other geocachers. They are submitted at least two weeks prior to the event so that potential attendees will have sufficient notice to make plans. Events are published no more than three months prior. Some events are published six months prior if an overnight stay is expected or if the event is designed to attract a regional or international group of geocachers.

For geocaching events with several elements, multiple event listings may be submitted if each element stands on its own merits as an event, and meets the listing guidelines. After an event has passed, the listing is archived by the cache owner.

An event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together geocachers for an organized geocache search. Such group hunts are best organized using a discussion forum or an email distribution list. While a music concert, a garage sale, an organized sporting event, a ham radio field day or a town's fireworks display might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocachers.

But... If you're creating an event CACHE to honor your husband's memory, then wouldn't Geocaching at least be discussed? I don't think you'd be lying.

If you are trying to hold a 'knock on the door and say Trick-or-Treat' event, I'm not surprised it didn't fly.

That might have worked a few years back, but there have been some refinements made to the definition of an 'Event Cache'.

Now if you ask cachers to 'knock on the door and say Trick-or-Treat, show us your GPS and be allowed around back to the garden for some special treats', you might have more success. Events are meant to allow cachers to congregate to discuss caching. Certainly many teams do not linger at events, but that is their choice (and their loss IMNSHO).

It really sounds like you need to have some dialog with your reviewer regarding this event. You say your a founding member of TAG, perhaps an event celebrating a milestone for this organization would work. But an event to memorialize your husband, although meaningful to you and perhaps others, does not sound like an event that is geocaching centric and intended to draw geocachers from a wide area.

Forgetting for now about your first sentence, how is a geocaching event going to introduce geocaching to non-cachers? How are non-cachers even going to hear about the event in the first place, and why would they want to attend, if they have no knowledge of geocaching?

TAG has actually sponsored a few events that were designed to introduce non-cachers who were interested in finding out more about geocaching.

I have personally hosted two of those events at our local college and I have 3 regular caching buddies as a result. B)

Many have heard of geocaching but have not actually tried it. Those are the people that have attended our events.

TAG has a fairly active presence in the area. We are involved in several community projects.

I'm not sure about TeamNiggel's events as I have never attended one. But I see no problem hosting an event in order to teach the curious what it's all about.

To me, it is chance to introduce geocaching to people who would not normally hear about it, and explain how much fun geocaching is.

That sounds pretty simple. I've seen several "Geocaching 101" type events, set up for the sole purpose of teaching noobs, (and muggles, should they wish to come), about this kooky little game. Perhaps you just need some editing on the event page?

Oh Geez. This is a problem that can be solved in three seconds. CHANGE YOUR CACHE PAGE.

I have no idea what you said on your cache page, but apparently it did not comply with the geocaching rules. If it's to "honor" someone...forget it. If it "memorializes" someone...forget it. If it mentiones a business name, an agenda of any sort..forget it.

Look at your page, read the guidelines..and then if your cache is STILL not published..push it to an appeal.

I see no problem hosting an event in order to teach the curious what it's all about.

I know that I'm pretty much alone in this, but I do. Those that are supposed to learn about this, will learn about it. We don't need publicists. My opinion only.

Would you rather those curious learn the ropes like a lot of the geocachers we constantly hear about in these forums?

One of TAG's stated missions is "Fostering geocaching etiquette and responsible stewardship of our environment."

We take that serious.

We really have very few problem caches or cachers around here. Maybe we are really fortunate that the best of the best cache in our area. But I like to think it's because we work very hard to educate newbies and vets alike in the accepted practices of the geocaching community.

I see no problem hosting an event in order to teach the curious what it's all about.

I know that I'm pretty much alone in this, but I do. Those that are supposed to learn about this, will learn about it. We don't need publicists. My opinion only.

Would you rather those curious learn the ropes like a lot of the geocachers we constantly hear about in these forums?

One of TAG's stated missions is "Fostering geocaching etiquette and responsible stewardship of our environment."

We take that serious.

We really have very few problem caches or cachers around here. Maybe we are really fortunate that the best of the best cache in our area. But I like to think it's because we work very hard to educate newbies and vets alike in the accepted practices of the geocaching community.

Wow. I didn't know that Minnesota was the mecca of knoweledge. I mean REALLY? The "BEST OF THE BEST" is in MINNESOTA?

We take that serious.

Wow. I didn't know that Minnesota was the mecca of knoweledge. I mean REALLY? The "BEST OF THE BEST" is in MINNESOTA?

Do you mind explaining your post? Since I know you would not be using sarcasm and as far as I know Minnesota has not been mentioned, I am not understanding the point you are attempting to make.

Oh Geez. This is a problem that can be solved in three seconds. CHANGE YOUR CACHE PAGE.

I have no idea what you said on your cache page, but apparently it did not comply with the geocaching rules. If it's to "honor" someone...forget it. If it "memorializes" someone...forget it. If it mentiones a business name, an agenda of any sort..forget it.

Look at your page, read the guidelines..and then if your cache is STILL not published..push it to an appeal.

Actually on an event page you can mention the business the event is being held in. But that is about all ... Let's gather for a fun night at Joe's Pizza, 123 Main St, Podunk. But that is about it.

Are you more interested in hosting an event or placing a geocache? We have attended learning how to geocache events at Parks, and many events we just meet at a local resturant. I hope all works out well.

Sorry about the loss of your husband.

We take that serious.

Where on earth did you get THAT from? I sure hope I am misunderstanding what you just said, because if not, then you sure misunderstood what I said!

Not at all. I firmly believe that those that will be in it for the long haul will make the efforts to do it right. Those that need to be spoon fed will *often* (not *always*) be those that "we constantly hear about in these forums". My idea of geocaching (which may not be yours) does not need hordes of cachers. It needs a small, dedicated group. Stories about geocaching on the evening news make me cringe.

We take that serious.

Where on earth did you get THAT from? I sure hope I am misunderstanding what you just said, because if not, then you sure misunderstood what I said!

I am happy to know I wasn't the only one wondering what in the world this was about.

Not at all. I firmly believe that those that will be in it for the long haul will make the efforts to do it right. Those that need to be spoon fed will *often* (not *always*) be those that "we constantly hear about in these forums". My idea of geocaching (which may not be yours) does not need hordes of cachers. It needs a small, dedicated group. Stories about geocaching on the evening news make me cringe.

Who said anything about the evening news? It's not like anyone is running a tv or newspaper ad.

People find out about the sport from various places. I discovered it from my brother who was not a geocacher but had seen some article in the newspaper or a magazine and menioned it to me.

We host a computer club at the local community college and several of us talk about our adventures so other members heard about it.

People talk about it at their job.

There are lots of ways to find out about geocaching.

And we feel that it is beneficial to educate new geocachers so they at least know the more acceptable practices. These events have been very sucessful, informative, fun, and in keeping with the primary reason for hosting events which is talking about all things geocaching.

Who said anything about the evening news? It's not like anyone is running a tv or newspaper ad.

People find out about the sport from various places. I discovered it from my brother who was not a geocacher but had seen some article in the newspaper or a magazine and menioned it to me.

We host a computer club at the local community college and several of us talk about our adventures so other members heard about it.

People talk about it at their job.

There are lots of ways to find out about geocaching.

And we feel that it is beneficial to educate new geocachers so they at least know the more acceptable practices. These events have been very sucessful, informative, fun, and in keeping with the primary reason for hosting events which is talking about all things geocaching.

I said something about the evening news. I didn't say that you did. All I am saying is that serious geocacher wannabes will learn what they need to learn. This isn't an activity that will be well-served by the whole world joining hands and encircling the globe singing about geocaching and world harmony. Sure, Jeremy and friends would love that, but it wouldn't serve me any better. Personally, I LIKE that geocaching is (or, at least was) a bit underground. That was one of the things that attracted me to it. As I said, we don't need publicists. In my opinion.

If you are trying to hold a 'knock on the door and say Trick-or-Treat' event, I'm not surprised it didn't fly.

That might have worked a few years back, but there have been some refinements made to the definition of an 'Event Cache'.

Now if you ask cachers to 'knock on the door and say Trick-or-Treat, show us your GPS and be allowed around back to the garden for some special treats', you might have more success. Events are meant to allow cachers to congregate to discuss caching. Certainly many teams do not linger at events, but that is their choice (and their loss IMNSHO).

This is the correct analysis of the problem with the event design. It's even a decent paraphrase of the reviewer's note on the event submission. Events are about groups of people getting together to socialize. Ringing a doorbell and having a pathtag handed to you is not an "event."

By the way, you can't mention pathtags on your cache listing. Your reviewer was going easy on you. Perhaps he has a heart?

Also for the reading audience: the reviewer who turned down last year's submission was a different reviewer than the one who turned down this year's submission. This year was a much friendlier note since the event was submitted well in advance of the 14 day deadline. This year's reviewer suggested ways in which the design could be modified so that the event can be published.

As I've illustrated, it's not about the reviewer, so OP, please don't make it personal. Both reviewers were applying the listing guidelines Groundspeak asks us to follow. We turn down "ring the doorbell at halloween" events every year. We also publish halloween party events organized by geocachers every year. We like publishing better than turndowns.

By the way, you can't mention pathtags on your cache listing.

Rules like that one appear absurd to me. I am not into pathtags, but I do not like the way it gets more and more restricted what one is allowed to write in a cache page. Actually, I do not know any cacher who hides nice caches who does not have an agenda in some sense.

Typical agendas will be to bring other cachers to beautiful places or simply to provide them with some moments of fun and enjoyment.

As I've illustrated, it's not about the reviewer, so OP, please don't make it personal. Both reviewers were applying the listing guidelines Groundspeak asks us to follow.

I agree with you - the issue is not a personal one. It is an issue induced by the guidelines and the requirements for the reviewers. Some of them go into the wrong direction in my opinion and geocaching has lost some charme, heart and individualism that I certainly had in the early years.

Cezanne

In a 2003 Family Fun Magazine, I read about this new sport called geocaching. Hmm, I had recently purchased a GPS unit for my husband (because he tended to get lost). This sounded like the perfect sport-fun for the whole family. We would go in spurts. We are one of the founding members of Tallahassee Area Geocachers, and I said we have spawned more others teams than most as my children grew up and started their own teams (teamRoland, Electric Mayhem, Infamous Green), as well as introducing our friends(Lynda has far more geocaches than I do, and is now President of TAG).

Years ago, someone did a Halloween Geocache. Gave the coordinates and said that you had to knock on the door, and say, "Trick or Cache". It sounded really neat, although we didn't get to do it because our children were still trick or treating around the neighborhood. It just sounded like fun.

Fast forward-my husband died two years ago. To honor his memory last year, we bought pathtags, and tried to set up an event cache. We were told that we didn't do it in time. I pleaded with the reviewer, explaining why it was so important to us. He said too many people were "getting together for breakfast, and claiming an event cache". This year, we tried again, determined to give ourselves plenty of time. Again, we were turned down. I don't expect anything to come of this, but needed to tell someone that this reviewer seems to have no heart.

First-sorry for the loss of a husband/father/friend.

Second-based on the additional info posted by Keystone (who is also a reviewer and can see the submitted page that the rest of us cannot see) it sounds like your reviewer actually does have a heart and is trying to work with you. My suggestion is to read the guidelines, re-read any notes or email that he/she/it may have sent you to help get this event published, and stop trying to throw them under th bus in the forums. Far too often people start a forum thread, only provide a small part of the story, and get caught up with the drama in here instead of really trying to get their situation resolved by communicating with their reviewer. Don't be one of them.