GEOCACHER MAGAZINE

Who is this Mike (a.k.a. owner / publisher of the former Geocacher Magazine)? Supposedly, this Mike took a lot of people's money and never got the magazine up and running.

A con artist? :laughing:

Published one issue in 2007. Amazingly, resurfaced in 2010, threatening to publish more, while taking money from a whole new generation of unsuspecting Geocachers. Hey, 3 years in Geocaching is a new generation.

Here's a Blog post and the post links to another blog from a UK cacher that is specifically dedicated to Geocacher Magazine, and the bloggers crusade to get his money back.

Wow, glad I came across this thread. I just 'subscribed' three weeks ago. Nothing yet. Now to try to retrieve money from credit card and/or paypal...

Just make sure you're talking about Geocacher Magazine, and not FTFGeocacher Magazine, which is totally legitimate.

Frank, I know I called the guy a "con artist", but I didn't post his picture, and question his activities outside of Geocaching. I notice he has a basic account. You can make amends for your error by gifting him a Premium Membership. :P

I got ripped off by "Geocacher Magazine" too, sorry to say. When I started caching I was very excited to come across the web page and paid for a subscripton. That was over a year ago and I've since given up any hope of ever getting anything for my money.

I too tried to leave comments on the Facebook page, only to see them disappear. At one point I emailed the publisher and he sent me an email back telling all about his health problems and assured me the mag would be coming out soon. Yeah, right. Never did.

I am amazed that the website is still up and advertising for new subscriptions!

Commissioner in the Scouts??? see the comment for this pic in his profile:

I wish that you hadn't posted that picture, Frank.

I did not - he did. I just linked it to here. If he is in the scouts and ripping people off, people should know what he looks like - no?

So, you know the full story? You are sure, for example, that one of his kids has been battling leukemia?

I only know what Mr Yuck posted here. I did not know what you said, but I can say this - I have a VERY good friend who's son has/had that same battle. My heart goes out to that young man & father - very sad! It is a tough road to go down. My friend's son had a bone marrow transplant and so far it has been good news (two years).

I wish I did not post that picture now too.... I apologize for doing it. Sorry to any I have (or may still offend ) offended by posting it.

I only know what Mr Yuck posted here. I did not know what you said, but I can say this - I have a VERY good friend who's son has/had that same battle. My heart goes out to that young man & father - very sad! It is a tough road to go down. My friend's son had a bone marrow transplant and so far it has been good news (two years).

I wish I did not post that picture now too.... I apologize for doing it. Sorry to any I have (or may still offend ) offended by posting it.

I did not say that his child DOES have a medical condition... I only said that we don't know the reason that he hasn't held to his promises, and that the reason may be nefarious, or it may be something like what I suggested. We are not the judge and jury. Nor is the BBB (by far... anybody that knows anything about the BBB knows that it is often a very self-serving group of local merchants trying to protect their turf). I just don't like to see people "outed" like that.

I thought this thread was supposed to be about Geocacher Magazine, not a debate on picture posting.

Back on target please. Lots of us out here only received the first edition and nothing more. RIPPED OFF!

Why apologize for expressing your frustration with his SCAM? Kid situation, any other excuse for his shortcomings are not in question nor the topic. Everyone has some difficult situation to deal with however this should not stop their commitments and give an opportunity to scam folks. Let the "hearts bleed" in another thread. Pfft

I thought this thread was supposed to be about Geocacher Magazine, not a debate on picture posting.

Back on target please. Lots of us out here only received the first edition and nothing more. RIPPED OFF!

Why apologize for expressing your frustration with his SCAM? Kid situation, any other excuse for his shortcomings are not in question nor the topic. Everyone has some difficult situation to deal with however this should not stop their commitments and give an opportunity to scam folks. Let the "hearts bleed" in another thread. Pfft

Debating picture posting on a thread like this is the right thing to do. I'm sorry if you disagree. I will let my heart bleed all I want, thank you.

I did not say that his child DOES have a medical condition... I only said that we don't know the reason that he hasn't held to his promises, and that the reason may be nefarious, or it may be something like what I suggested. We are not the judge and jury. Nor is the BBB (by far... anybody that knows anything about the BBB knows that it is often a very self-serving group of local merchants trying to protect their turf). I just don't like to see people "outed" like that.

OK, the first issue was published, after several delays. I'm shocked one even made it to print, but that's besides the point. After that, it became obvious there wasn't going to be another one. It was nearly impossible to get the publisher's side of the story, and he would blow off almost all correspondence with subscribers, but tales of financial woe and personal health problems did surface. He even had several "defenders" in public forums. OK, fine and dandy. But to come back 3 years later (after everyone thinks the magazine is dead and buried), take money from a new generation of Geocachers, (there's a 2010 joiner in this thread who sent him money 3 weeks ago) and pull the same crap again? Puh-lease.

To this day, he deletes negative feedback on his Facebook page. That's why he has like 2,500 "fans" who have no clue the magazine doesn't actually exist. They just friended someone on Facebook with Geocaching in their name. :o And he got the "Geocacher Magazine doesn't exist" Facebook page taken down by TPTB at Facebook. Why HIS Facebook page doesn't get taken down is beyond me.

I'd say to Frank edit the post, but it's probably to old to do it now?

OK, the first issue was published, after several delays. I'm shocked one even made it to print, but that's besides the point. After that, it became obvious there wasn't going to be another one. It was nearly impossible to get the publisher's side of the story, and he would blow off almost all correspondence with subscribers, but tales of financial woe and personal health problems did surface. He even had several "defenders" in public forums. OK, fine and dandy. But to come back 3 years later (after everyone thinks the magazine is dead and buried), take money from a new generation of Geocachers, (there's a 2010 joiner in this thread who sent him money 3 weeks ago) and pull the same crap again? Puh-lease.

To this day, he deletes negative feedback on his Facebook page. That's why he has like 2,500 "fans" who have no clue the magazine doesn't actually exist. They just friended someone on Facebook with Geocaching in their name. :o And he got the "Geocacher Magazine doesn't exist" Facebook page taken down by TPTB at Facebook. Why HIS Facebook page doesn't get taken down is beyond me.

I'd say to Frank edit the post, but it's probably to old to do it now?

I want to make it clear that I am NOT supporting the guy. All I'm saying is that I think it was wrong to post his picture here. It serves no good purpose whatsoever. Was that so that if we run into him on the street, we will know who he is? It also puts (what I assume are) a couple of Boy Scouts in context with somebody that is being called a scammer. It implies, too, that he is a bad Scout leader (which is arguably true, of course, if the charges against him are true).

Wait a minute you guys. The picture - for crying out loud, it was two clicks away or so from a link that the urkman posted in this thread, It is NOT private information. If someone was going to do something to this man on the street for his scam - I do not think they are the kind of person that would not be able to find the picture if him like I did in like 1 minute.... be real here please.

Edited by Frank Broughton

I thinking posting his picture is a great idea. If he conned people than it is great for others too know who to watch out for. IF he took money that was supposed to go toward a magazine and than spent the money on anything Besides making the magazine, than yes HE IS A CROOK! I know in our PC society we shouldnt call anyone a name but I was always taught if it looks, sounds, and walks like a duck its a duck. I have been to stores where they post pictures of peoples bad checks. This is to discourage others from writing bad checks. There is also a simple way for you not get your picture out there as a crook. It is simply "Don't be a crook". I know nothing of that magazine, I sure have not bought it. Thanks to the forums I knew not to buy it. Bravo for others bringing attention to a shady business man. In the USA we have a thing called angie's list to check on different businesses. Also because of the forums here I knew certain GPS' not to buy. So Frank I say thanks for putting his picture here.

Wait a minute you guys. The picture - for crying out loud, it was two clicks away or so from a link that the urkman posted in this thread, It is NOT private information. If someone was going to do something to this man on the street for his scam - I do not think they are the kind of person that would not be able to find the picture if him like I did in like 1 minute.... be real here please.

You gave it context that the photo didn't have before you posted it here.

I want to make it clear that I am NOT supporting the guy.

Why not? I love the guy. He is the reason I am now an authentic Geocaching Prophet.

Why are you hedging for restraint for this guy? I don't get it? :huh:

The product he demoed sucked so hard it could have drawn a tennis ball through 50 feet of garden hose. I said so, but very tactfully and now I'm a prophet.

I visited his tent at GW6. The dude was absent. Did he ever show up? I got my $5 copy for the history of it. I never bothered reading it. Was it any better than the crappy online sample?

Did I just read that he is STILL taking money? :unsure: If this is true, yup conman is a good lable. Why call for restraint when he has burned quite a few fellow cachers and reportedly still takes money for a crappy defunct magazine?

Edited by Snoogans

Why not? I love the guy. He is the reason I am now an authentic Geocaching Prophet.

I am not suggesting restraint. I just don't like the posting of a picture, particularly with a couple of Boy Scouts that had nothing to do with any of this. I just think it is in bad taste.

Let me repeat myself clear as I can, I did not post any picture - HE DID. I simply linked it from HIS PROFILE at geocaching.com to this thread, Urkman posted a link to his profile here. You are making this into something it is not knowschad (do you really/). So the association DONE before I did anything. I noticed he said in the picture that he was a scout. That makes what he does more serious. The kids, there are no names associated.

You are making a mountain out of a molehill, Further more...... never mind....

I am not suggesting restraint. I just don't like the posting of a picture, particularly with a couple of Boy Scouts that had nothing to do with any of this. I just think it is in bad taste.

The geocoin dealer that scammed myself and others in a presale used Boy Scouts as part or their con. :unsure: Some people consider BSA a great bunch of trust worthy people. :lol: Trust is the main part of a scam. You would not send money to someone that you did not trust would you? :anibad: If I need your money up front to operate my business venture, look out. :ph34r:

Goal: -Prevent this person from scamming others in the future.

Why: -To protect fresh cacher's wallets and enthusiasm for caching.

-His actions bring down the reputation of cachers and thus caching.

So, what can be done to help us achieve stated goal above?

I know. Post his picture, and mention that he was a Scout leader? :laughing:

Sorry. couldn't resist. I don't know. He deletes all negative feedback on his Facebook page, and had a Facebook page that attempted to educate people that his magazine was a scam taken down. He obviously has total control of his website, so no negative comments could ever be posted there. Just tell anyone that will listen, I suppose.

I thought the picture mitigated things. Here is someone who likes to hike and is involved with the scouts. He looks like a nice guy. So after seeing that I assumed he came into the project with the best intentions, got in over his head, and can't figure out how to get out, and is hoping that a miracle will happen to make it all work. These things happen. A local person once collected $50,000 to re-tile a beloved tunnel, but somehow the project never got off the ground.

Perhaps I have a forgiving attitude because I was not going to subscribe in any event. And it is true that when my clients tell me they are innocent, I believe them. Bernie Madoff was probably even a nice guy. But without the picture I might have thought he was a simple con artist - although really anyone could think of a better con.

So maybe he will do the right thing and shut the web site down, apologize, and offer to repay over time. Maybe. The scouts I know would want him to.

Settle down now, there is absolutely nothing wrong with posting his picture. He needs to accept responsibility for his actions.

The debate about it is nice however, as it bumps the thread and informs more people each time.

People make mistakes, but in this case he is doing it twice? :rolleyes:

If I had lost money, I would be complaining to the authorities local to him, as well as notifying any Boy Scout association that he is involved with. Im certain that they dont know anything about it, and perhaps he may be doing the same thing to them.

In fact, if you guys are too chicken to do it, please send me his location info and any other links and I'll do it. Im just too lazy to dig it up.

A crook working for the Boy Scouts? I really dont like this at all. Simple communication to the correct channels does wonders.

That information is available without too much research.

Has anybody considered small claims court?

In fact, if you guys are too chicken to do it, please send me his location info and any other links and I'll do it. Im just too lazy to dig it up.

A crook working for the Boy Scouts? I really dont like this at all. Simple communication to the correct channels does wonders.

That information is available without too much research.

Has anybody considered small claims court?

Well, I'm not sue happy or anything, but I have taken 2 people to small claims court over the years. They were both in my State, and within 25 miles of home (one was actually a different County). But in these cases, and I'm talking New York here, you have to file the claim in the municipality in which they live. So I'm just guessing someone would have to go to court where ever in Nevada the guy lives.

And by the way, I complained to his web host. Maybe I can get that sucker taken down. It's a rather simple "build your website from our template" operation for small businesses.

For those of us that are new to this and discovered this thread (because it sounded interesting) and as Mr. Yuck pointed out above... I thought it was important to add there is a legit magazine out there and there's even and app for that! :)

http://www.ftfgeocacher.com/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ftf-2011/id466061097?mt=8

Yes, the FTF magazine is a good one!

I have subscribed to that one and have enjoyed every issue.

I just wanted to chime in to say thanks to everyone for the kind words and links to my magazine "FTF Geocacher." If you are a subscriber to "Geocacher Magazine" and worried about taking a risk on another magazine, I'd like to offer you a free copy of a random back issue of "FTF Geocacher." Just send an email with your name and address to freemag@ftfgeocacher.com. (Note: My pockets aren't very deep so this offer is limited to new potential subscribers only;-)

I posted a comment on the Facebook page for GEOCACHER MAGAZINE, my comment was: Scam??? it did not get deleted, he responded with: "Actually no ... try two strokes, but having survived we're still at it."

I don't see it. I don't have a Facebook account, but I figured I see most if not all of his content. Has it been deleted yet?

I don't know if the story was 2 strokes in 2008, or one then and another one later. Obligations need to be met. A webpage that was still taking money via Pay-pal until 2 days ago should not have been up on the web. Updates need to given to customers. Emails from customers should not be ignored. Refunds need to be processed. Two complaints to the Better Business Bureau need to be responded to, not ignored. Lies about the 2nd issue having gone to the printer need to stop being told, per the last ever status update of February 19th, 2011:

Geocacher Magazine The Winter 2010 issue, although done for many weeks got stalled at the printer due to my slower-than-expected recovery and rather than double-up the issues, the MINGO issue for Winter 2010 is now the Spring 2011.

Many thanks to all who have sent such wonderful messages of support and encouragement! - I have moved to sea-level in CA because the altitude wasn't exactly helping my condition.

Refunds have been issued to those few who have requested them. - More details TBS soon. - Again, many thanks for your patience and support.

February 19 at 5:50pm

Although I admit it's very possible issue #2 did go to the printer, and never left there due to lack of payment. Which would change that status from a lie to a very unfortunate development for people who have sent him money.

No, Mr Yuck it has not been deleted as of this second. It is a comment on a wall post I made. You need to click on the link at the top to show all wall posts.

I see that now... the link that says, "Everyone (Top Posts)"

Of course, your post, "Scam?" isn't exactly negative, or at least may not be viewed that way in his eyes. Change the question mark to an exclaimation point and see what happens.

Edited by knowschad

No, Mr Yuck it has not been deleted as of this second. It is a comment on a wall post I made. You need to click on the link at the top to show all wall posts.

I see that now... the link that says, "Everyone (Top Posts)"

Of course, your post, "Scam?" isn't exactly negative, or at least may not be viewed that way in his eyes. Change the question mark to an exclaimation point and see what happens.

I never saw that!! The last thing I saw was April. Why on Earth wouldn't they not have the latest posts first?? And if you look from April back until 2010, there are no "negative" posts whatsoever. And word is that he would actively delete every negative comment back during that time period.

Edited by Mr.Yuck