Cheltenham / Gloucester / Tewksbury

HazelS

My lovely man and I are planning a short stay around Gloucester, and are in the process of looking for a decent caching walk to do.

We really don't mind a drive out to a decent walk, and are looking for something somewhere between 4 and 7 miles, with decent sized caches (not just micros chucked in hedgerows!) Oh and the odd Munzee thrown in for good measure is always welcome too!

I know I can look myself, and I am doing so, but I always think it's good to have a series recommended!

So - any ideas?? I was looking at the Wheatpieces Wander?

Try the Netherton Ponders (http://coord.info/GC2M7KP is the first of the series - easy parking & a nice walk).

Whilst not exactly a series there are quite a lot of caches (10-12) on Cleeve Hill which is a lovely spot (in good weather) from:

http://coord.info/GCPE04 Cleeve Hill earthacache to http://coord.info/GCH0DQ Belas Knap

There's a YOSM here too which doesn't show on the map.

The Coombe Hill caches are nice though a lot of walking involved! http://coord.info/GC269YY

I've never done the Wheatpieces Wander series as it is a walk through fields around a fairly big housing estate and personally I don't fancy it much, though I may have a bash eventually.

Some friends of mine have planted Castlemorton Common's Cunning Caches (start http://coord.info/GC32M0X) and although they are mostly micros they are definitely not just chucked in a hedge!

Edited by The Patrician

Hope you have a great stay around our neck of the woods!

Nothing really sprang to mind instantly, probably because I haven't done many series in the area you mention. Having a look though, there's a few interesting ones on our to do list.

This one looks very popular, with 26 favourite points: A Break From the Norm 1 - Round the Bend . It's the first of a series of 14 on a 4 mile walk.

Wrighty's various Cotswold caching series are worth a mention if you don't mind a just a little drive a little further east. The Major Tom series is a 7 mile one Ground Control to Major Tom(1). or there's his Hillside walk (8 miles). Don't be too put off by the 4 stars. Hillside Walk 1-Nice and Easy

There are a lot of lovely walks around the Malverns, a bit further north of Tewkesbury. The Castlemorton Common is an example of a circular walk around there (4 miles) Castlemorton Common's Cunning Caches 1. Then of course, there's the Malvern's themselves with various caches which are easy to link up.

The Towpath along the canal in Gloucester has a good cache series along it. You could always make your route circular by returning a different way (or walking on one side of the canal one way and returning on the other side of the canal.) It's a good fallback option if the weather turns wet when you visit and you don't fancy some of the more muddy walks.

Like I say, hope you have fun and let us know what you picked & how it went!

Without wishing to upset anyone I don't think Wheatpieces wander is what you are looking for. If you don't mind heading up into the Cotswolds you can't go wrong with a Wrighty series, try Cotswold Lions or Many steps though old times or going a bit to the south there is A bit on the Syde. All of these, in my opinion, have fantastic views of the Cotswold countryside.

tarmacjohn

Without wishing to upset anyone I don't think Wheatpieces wander is what you are looking for. If you don't mind heading up into the Cotswolds you can't go wrong with a Wrighty series, try Cotswold Lions or Many steps though old times or going a bit to the south there is A bit on the Syde. All of these, in my opinion, have fantastic views of the Cotswold countryside.

tarmacjohn

I'd agree with TJ on this.

You can't go wrong with a Wrighty series - we've found hundreds of them! :huh:

Mark

Hmmm

I've done a few of Wrighty's series in the past, I remember doing the Gound Control ones anyway!!

The Lovely Man does hills, but I famously don't (or rather, only do small hills)

A nice circular is always welcome, and yes, we'd rather be out looking at lovely scenery than the back of someone's house, so any suggestions along these lines would be very very welcome!!!

I would recommend the Castlemorton series - All micro or nano caches,

Thanks... but I like my man being happy.... he's a Micro / Nano hater!!!

I'll give all the suggestions a good look at this weekend. I'm sure there's something available that'll be good for both of us!!

There's another series published just recently that's just north of Tewkesbury...

Cromwell Circular.

11 caches, not too far and flat. The trouble with the area you are looking in, and the reason there are not so many cache series placed on the lower ground (as you don't do hills) is because most of the lower ground in these parts is a flood plain. Another option might be to do some a bit of the Severn Way walk and then link it up with some other caches - the Coomb Hill Canal series would link up nicely with a couple on the Severn Way.

Have fun. I've come here to decide which series I want to go for today! It's a handy thread for me too, thanks! :D

I'll be selfish and recommend Cowley County Parish.

EDIT: link - http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=94328e22-3d01-49e6-9133-0dc5599f759f

EDIT #2: but if you're wary of contours then you should check the map first!

Yes, that's a good one I missed out and don't know why I haven't got around to doing it yet.

definitely make the effort to get around to it, it's a great series, one of the best we've ever done (although it has been slightly re-routed since we did it, I'm sure any amendments made have been for the better)

A thanks from me for this thread, also, it's giving us some ideas too