Nearest TB

Woof!

I wish there was a way to get notified when a travel bug is placed in my area. Or better yet, a way to search for travel bugs by zip code. I know I can watch all the caches near me, but it would be cool to have a more direct way. I searched the forums but didn't find anything. Maybe I am missing something and this already exists, like for premium members or something...just wondering.

Happy Halloween

[This message was edited by Woof! on May 14, 2003 at 02:11 PM.]

I'm not aware of what you want existing. But some people like TB's as much or more than caches.

Check out Clayjar's watcher. It won't do you any good until you are a paid member. Once you are though you can get a pocket querie and I think (someone verify this!) you can sort a GPX file by TB's plus a bunch of other catagories.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

You don't even need to use Watcher...

Using a pocket query you can select just caches that have TB's in them. The TB info doesn't show up in the GPX files (A gripe of mine...) but at leat you can tell what caches to look at for bugs.

I myself get a daily GPX with all the TB's in a 200 mile radius just to watch them move around...

----------------------------------

MnGCA-button.gif

"The number you have reached is imaginary, please rotate your phone 90 degrees and try again... <beeeeep>"

You could always just do a periodic search of the caches nearby. Look for the icon_bug.gif next to the 2.gif . Just that you would have to do this on a regular basis and get to know which ones were already there. I know - it's not like a notification.

Jeremy actually toyed with the idea once in the beginnings of travel bugs. I think it kinda just slowly died out of the TODO list.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Jeremy actually toyed with the idea once in the beginnings of travel bugs. I think it kinda just slowly died out of the TODO list.

http://www.markwell.us

http://www.chicagogeocaching.com

I did notice that on the "search for travel bug" page there is a note at the top that says "You can currently only search by keyword. New features will be added soon." So I'll keep my fingers crossed"

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Happy Halloween

quote:
Originally posted by Team VE:

You don't even need to use Watcher...

Using a pocket query you can select just caches that have TB's in them. The TB info doesn't show up in the GPX files (A gripe of mine...) but at leat you can tell what caches to look at for bugs.

The only problem with this is that it is only accurate when it is first generated. In our area, people can be quick to get to a cache when there is a TB available, so if you get the GPX file in the morning, by the time you leave work, some of the TBs could already be gone.

Depending on how much the new version of the site can handle, it would be nice to see some of the search options available for pocket queries available for direct searches, even if it is members-only like the queries are.

- - - - -

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

quote:
Originally posted by Cheesehead Dave:

The only problem with this is that it is only accurate when it is first generated. In our area, people can be quick to get to a cache when there is a TB available, so if you get the GPX file in the morning, by the time you leave work, some of the TBs could already be gone.

Of course, the same problem would still exist with instant bug queries too.

The data is only as fresh as when it was last entered... If that person who went and grabbed it while you were at work hasn't gotten home yet but is on an all day bug/cache hunt, you're still going to go out and find that they have beaten you there....

We have a few avid bug grabbers in this area too, so I know this all to well...

I had one where a bug I was watching was placed ina cache I was watching and I went out to get it 3 hours after it was placed.... Fortunately, I beat Centris there by 15 minutes.... If I hadn't been able to head out from work early that day, even the 'Live' data wouldn't have helped me.

So, I'm not disagreeing that there's a problem of data freshness with TB's.

I'm saying that the real source of the probelm is the time lag between when people visit a Cache/Bug and when they get to a computer to log it....

I don't think it's going to be worth the extra server load until that changes...

MnGCA-button.gif

"The number you have reached is imaginary, please rotate your phone 90 degrees and try again... <beeeeep>"