Trip Down Under

coinpopper

My wife and I are making our plans for a trip down in 2012. I have been there, several times before I retired. Those trips were generally in August/September and included vists to all States except the Northern Territory. This time our trip could be either in April or September depending on factors we cannot control just yet.

I have a few questions, what traveller does not, and hopefully several geocachers will reply.

Which would be the better time to arrive? We intend to visit Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Cairns, Ayers Rock, Perth and Adelaide and a foremost requirement is that I locate a cache or several in each State as well as the islands.

Is there a forum for each State? If not, might I be so lucky that one or two cachers in each would take me under their wing and be a sounding board for specific questions that may arise as our trip time nears? Nothing personal, but information about caches, the weather and sights to see during our stay.

The most important question I have so far is about Maps. Is there a source for Australia geo-caching maps other than through Garmin? I use the GPS 60Csx and the Oregan 300 almost exclusively. Last year we traveled through the UK and was put in touch with a chap in London that supplied maps on SIM cards that were more current and detailed than those supplied by Garmin.

Hopefully my ramblings have not put you to sleep, since you are just waking up about now or will be soon. I also hope that I may have the pleasure to meet with a number of you on our travels and that time permitting, we can grab a cahe or two. I plan to find several caches in each state in my quest to find 10,000 caches before I lay down to rest.

If caching is not possible, perhaps we can chat for a while and enjoy a coffee or a beer.

While in the UK last year, I did my part to put Guiness on 24 hour days.

Hope to here from some of you.

Cache On....

jack Lowry

///aka/// Coinpopper

Dallas, Texas area

USA

The most important question I have so far is about Maps. Is there a source for Australia geo-caching maps other than through Garmin? I use the GPS 60Csx and the Oregan 300 almost exclusively. Last year we traveled through the UK and was put in touch with a chap in London that supplied maps on SIM cards that were more current and detailed than those supplied by Garmin.

http://www.osmaustralia.org/garmin.php

OpenStreetmap based, good enough for most purposes, and free too!

Is there a forum for each State? If not, might I be so lucky that one or two cachers in each would take me under their wing and be a sounding board for specific questions that may arise as our trip time nears? Nothing personal, but information about caches, the weather and sights to see during our stay

There are state based forums over at Geocaching Australia and the forums are frequented more than these ones!

http://forum.geocaching.com.au

Either month would be suitable. Of course, your not going to get perfect weather everywhere, but those 2 months are not too bad. April, just coming out of our summer, and there have been predictions of another wet one this year, not as bad as last year, but still wet. That means everywhere north of say Sydney is going to be green, including into the red centre if they get any rain to follow up the huge amount they got last year. The cyclone season is nearing the end in April so travel to Qld should be safer. The worst of the humidity should be gone. Sorry I cant comment of Perth.

September is coming out of our winter, but it may still be a bit cold down south. Qld and the red centre should be pleasant during the days, but a bit nippy at night.

Caching along routes and postcode searches work very well in Oz. Try the Australia Post website for the postcodes of intended destinations, making sure you get the correct state as well, and use them to do searches.

Hi,

Just a quick note that may interest you and help with the decision on the timing for your visit "downunder"

The OZ Mega Event is on next year so check the listing and maybe include that event on your trip.

cheers,

troobloo

Edited by troobloo