Playing Wherigo on the iPhone

Ranger Fox

That would be great. Thanks for the replies and help. Speaking from my experience, I'd have jumped in more enthusiastically earlier if the app had worked as a standalone unit. I'd downloaded a couple of cartridges to my Garmin, but never ended up going the 60+ miles to the closest ones. But I thought I'd give it another try and see if people were interested in one or more in our area. Thanks!

Yes, there's currently no API for the Wherigo web site to find nearby cartridges or download them. Incidentally, if you search for nearby Wherigo caches and find one, then tap on the description and any subsequent cartridge link within the description, the app will take you to the Wherigo cartridge's page where you can just tap "download".

That would be great. Thanks for the replies and help. Speaking from my experience, I'd have jumped in more enthusiastically earlier if the app had worked as a standalone unit. I'd downloaded a couple of cartridges to my Garmin, but never ended up going the 60+ miles to the closest ones. But I thought I'd give it another try and see if people were interested in one or more in our area. Thanks!

A couple of questions about the iPhone Wherigo app.

1)My phone says that I have v324, but on the iTunes page for the app it says that 1.4.2 is the latest and greatest. Where can I find that on my phone?

2)The App store also says that there is a bonus features in-app download for $0.99. Any idea what that is, as I haven't seen it on my phone when I'm using the cartridge?

3)The release notes for the latest version say that you can download the cartridges to you computer, and then drag and drop them to the Wherigo folder in iTunes. Okay, I give up, where in the Sam Hill is that folder located????

Thanks

grateful cacher

I'm having an issue with my Wherigo when played in the iPhone app only. It works with Android (WhereYouGo) and on the Garmin Oregon. The problem is I have an item that shows up when you enter the zone with 5 actions associated with it (it's a book with 5 pages to read). Once I read page 4, all of the text on message becomes garbled. So 'if you believe the answer is x, go to N50 01.ABC W114 04.DEF' becomes 'a1fnba asdfbowsdfb aalsd4521-mdasf' or some random text variation thereof.

There's no fancy logic or if/else statements, it's pretty much a zone by zone walk through with hidden zones until you enter them.

Thanks in advance.

Some cartridges specifically check for the iPhone when handling encrypted text and do something slightly different, possibly to get around a past bug. There could be a problem with that iPhone-specific handling. What did you use to generate the cartridge, and can you share a link to it for me to try?

I'm having an issue with my Wherigo when played in the iPhone app only. It works with Android (WhereYouGo) and on the Garmin Oregon. The problem is I have an item that shows up when you enter the zone with 5 actions associated with it (it's a book with 5 pages to read). Once I read page 4, all of the text on message becomes garbled. So 'if you believe the answer is x, go to N50 01.ABC W114 04.DEF' becomes 'a1fnba asdfbowsdfb aalsd4521-mdasf' or some random text variation thereof.

There's no fancy logic or if/else statements, it's pretty much a zone by zone walk through with hidden zones until you enter them.

Thanks in advance.

Hi. I'm about to publish my audio tour guide cartridge and these are the problems I've been having while testing it out on the Iphone:

The main one is that the sound will randomly disappear and to get it back I have to quit and resume the cartridge. The second issue occurs when I do this. For the most part, I have one or two zones active at one time, and disable each one as the player moves along the tour. When I resume the cartridge, I get about six random zones that have already been disabled activating at once, including all their audio. They may not be big issues but just thought I'd get them out there in case someone else has had similar experience.

Some cartridges specifically check for the iPhone when handling encrypted text and do something slightly different, possibly to get around a past bug. There could be a problem with that iPhone-specific handling. What did you use to generate the cartridge, and can you share a link to it for me to try?

Thanks in advance.

There is no encrypted text, it's just garbling it to be unreadable. I'm using Earwigo to create the cartridge, the Wherigo is http://coord.info/GC57790. If you PM me your email address I can send you a backup of the cartridge so you can take a look through.

Hi. I'm about to publish my audio tour guide cartridge and these are the problems I've been having while testing it out on the Iphone:

The main one is that the sound will randomly disappear and to get it back I have to quit and resume the cartridge. The second issue occurs when I do this. For the most part, I have one or two zones active at one time, and disable each one as the player moves along the tour. When I resume the cartridge, I get about six random zones that have already been disabled activating at once, including all their audio.

I'm pretty sure this has something to do with timers. The zones that come back are a few of those that have been set to timers.

New to Wherigos, just installed app on iPhone 4 (yes, they still exist :P ), played 2 (both walking tours). Didn't know to scroll down EACH new screen, thought the "ok" under the same image twice was phone acting up. (Again) At the end of the 1st cartridge, found & signed the cache. At the end of the 2nd, was prompted to scroll again & found (& copied) the unlock code. (then signed the cache)

Q1: How do you unlock a cartridge from an iphone? Instructions at beginning of this thread mention a "blue arrow next to carts name", but there aren't any. (I assume "home screen" means the list of downloaded cartridges; the other options are Search, Settings, and About)

Q2: I don't recall seeing any "Save" buttons/prompts at the end of either Wherigo. When/where can the cartridge be saved, or does it automatically do so when you Quit? (I know it does DURING the game, but after you've finished it?)

Q3: I wrote the unlock code for cartridge #2 on a piece of paper (didn't know if it'd be accessible afterwards), but now when I try to enter it directly on the Wherigo website (from my PC), it claims that's the wrong code. Is it, or do I just have to access the website from my iPhone (have NOT figured out how to do it from within the app) instead of my PC? If it SHOULD be accessible from the iPhone and I just wrote the code down wrong (unlikely, but possible), is there any way to re-access the code without having to repeat the entire cartridge?

Many thanks for any help. Maybe I should be able to figure it out myself but I'll admit, I'm not especially tech savvy.

Q1: You don't, unless a recent update changed that. Feel free to correct me, please.

Q2: Usually, the app would ask if you wanted to save when you closed the cartridge. You get one save slot. The cartridge can also be saved at any time the author, through the cartridge's code, directs it to save.

Q3: Trim your code to the first fifteen characters. This is a well-documented problem with the site since at least May 2013. No, Groundspeak is not going to fix it. No, I'm not going to keep reminding them. Depending upon how the cartridge is set up, you could restore the cartridge from your game save. The author could have placed an item within your inventory. If so, the item usually has your completion code in its description. If you're really intent on unlocking the cartridge and this is not the case, you can contact me off the forum for an unlock code; please include the cartridge you were playing. Unfortunately, unlocking the cartridge doesn't do much of anything. It will at a later time.

Feel free to ask for whatever help you need in the forum. There are many people here who like to help. Someone might come along and clarify or correct what I said, too.

Q1: You don't, unless a recent update changed that. Feel free to correct me, please.

Q2: Usually, the app would ask if you wanted to save when you closed the cartridge. You get one save slot. The cartridge can also be saved at any time the author, through the cartridge's code, directs it to save.

Q3: Trim your code to the first fifteen characters. This is a well-documented problem with the site since at least May 2013. No, Groundspeak is not going to fix it. No, I'm not going to keep reminding them. Depending upon how the cartridge is set up, you could restore the cartridge from your game save. The author could have placed an item within your inventory. If so, the item usually has your completion code in its description. If you're really intent on unlocking the cartridge and this is not the case, you can contact me off the forum for an unlock code; please include the cartridge you were playing. Unfortunately, unlocking the cartridge doesn't do much of anything. It will at a later time.

Feel free to ask for whatever help you need in the forum. There are many people here who like to help. Someone might come along and clarify or correct what I said, too.

Many thanks! Also got a reply from CO of the Wherigos I played, so between these two responses, I think I have the info I need.

I posted about this somewhere else but thought I might give it a shot on this thread. Does anyone know anything about the iphone player not playing sounds? I tested out sounds on the iphone player today with a variety of timers and start and stop functions and it appears that no matter what if I press the home button or leave the app in anyway sounds will no longer work on the player. This is extremely problematic as it means it will be impossible to use sounds on any longer wherigos as the app cannot be closed without the sound function being disabled.

I posted about this somewhere else but thought I might give it a shot on this thread. Does anyone know anything about the iphone player not playing sounds? I tested out sounds on the iphone player today with a variety of timers and start and stop functions and it appears that no matter what if I press the home button or leave the app in anyway sounds will no longer work on the player. This is extremely problematic as it means it will be impossible to use sounds on any longer wherigos as the app cannot be closed without the sound function being disabled.

Did you download the cartridge as "PocketPC"? Any other format--the Garmin ones--will strip out the audio files. One easy way to verify this is to compare your GWZ's size with the GWC you download: the sizes should not dramatically differ (10MB vs. 600KB is a dramatic difference, but 10MB vs. 9MB is not in this example).

Did you download the cartridge as "PocketPC"? Any other format--the Garmin ones--will strip out the audio files. One easy way to verify this is to compare your GWZ's size with the GWC you download: the sizes should not dramatically differ (10MB vs. 600KB is a dramatic difference, but 10MB vs. 9MB is not in this example).

I think he's talking about the sound going from working after starting the cartridge to no longer working after, say, answering a phone call or viewing a text message and then returning to the app. I'll look into it.

Sorry for not replying sooner. spstanley, that is correct. Whenever I close the app, make phone call, or text, the sounds no longer will work when I resume the app. The cartridges I downloaded are indeed pocket pc. It appears that the sound displays in the Wherigo app as a media file at the bottom of the menu screen but it will no longer actually make any sound. Thank you for looking into this.

I am working on building a Wherigo and when I am testing it in the ihpone player I keep getting a screen on one of the images that displays "splash screen." I have never seen this message before and cannot get rid of it even when I change the image file. Does anyone know what would be causing this error? The error occurs at the beginning of the Wherigo if this helps. Here is the cartridge too. 53d66ea9-cce6-4062-912c-84d61b242f7e.png

I was going to take a look at this but it's a nighttime Wherigo, so maybe later!

I am working on building a Wherigo and when I am testing it in the ihpone player I keep getting a screen on one of the images that displays "splash screen." I have never seen this message before and cannot get rid of it even when I change the image file. Does anyone know what would be causing this error? The error occurs at the beginning of the Wherigo if this helps. Here is the cartridge too. 53d66ea9-cce6-4062-912c-84d61b242f7e.png

I think this is fixed in the update. Can anyone else confirm?

I can confirm that I did make sound-related changes, but what Ranger Fox says is true: make sure you download for PocketPC, otherwise you won't get the sound you need.

I think this is fixed in the update. Can anyone else confirm?

I was un-able to recreate the issue with the splash screen unfortunately. So either it is fixed or its still broken but I just can't re-create the problem. I was testing out the cartridge one day (before these updates) and the splash screen was gone. I know others have had the same issue though. Hopefully it is indeed fixed. I will post on here if it pops up. Thanks again!

Wherigo hasn't been updated it says on the website since 2008? I tried to download a cartridge on to my iPhone this weekend and it was epic failure, what is up with the Wherigo platform? Does it not support the iPhone? Really wish someone would give updated instructions, seems like its dead to iPhone users? If it isn't I would love to know how to use it, I was successful previously but not anymore :( Cali~Bear

I read the private message Cali~Bear sent to me before I checked the forum.

I can somewhat reproduce the issue. A few cartridges took around five minutes before the download started. One of those cartridges was a 21MB file, which is huge by Wherigo standards. The others were less than a megabyte. Downloads from my desktop browser seemed to start quickly. However, I am at work and am using their wired connection for the desktop and Wi-Fi for my phone. I'll see if I can reproduce the issue in the evening on my own network.

If you want, see if waiting five minutes would work for the download. Just don't let your phone go to sleep during that time. I know that's not an acceptable solution, nor am I offering it as one. I'm just curious.

I've alerted spstanley to this. He couldn't reproduce this with his phone, but didn't know the cartridges I was using for my test (they're the most recently uploaded cartridges on Wherigo.com).

By the way, which model phone and OS are you using?

Also by the way, Wherigo.com was never made for mobile access. The app offers a browser and it watches for a GWC file to be downloaded, then intercepts it. Groundspeak's properties include the Wherigo web site, their builder, the Garmin player, and the Pocket PC player. Everything else has been developed freely by Wherigo community members in an effort to keep Wherigo alive and available to all.

So, Cali~Bear, spstanley said it's just the way the mechanism works. The way the iOS web frame acts in conjunction with the script on Wherigo.com that is fired from the download button click event, the larger the file is, the longer that progress bar will say no progress is being made. I asked spstanley to explain in more detail if any is needed. My specialty is with the web; his is with the app.

The not as good news is if you wait long enough, it'll actually download the cartridge.

This makes me want even more to replace that site with one that uses an API...

I am using the Wherigo app on my iPhone 6s with the most recent iOS update and I've only had one problem with the application. When I go to the stage or "zone" as I'm reading here, it zips through the pages without letting me read the info and hitting the "ok" box and it goes straight to the question part. Hasn't been a huge issue but if some of the info I needed were in those other pages it automatically flipped through, I never would have seen it. I'm still trying to figure it out and have been using it more and trying to more of this cache type because it's something different, but maybe it's just a flaw in cartridge itself.

When I go to the stage or "zone" as I'm reading here, it zips through the pages without letting me read the info and hitting the "ok" box and it goes straight to the question part.
This is an issue with the cartridge's author, not with the player application. If you line commands up like "message, message, message, input", the Wherigo engine will execute them one at a time, milliseconds apart, so that all you really see is the input. Wherigo does not wait, nor is it supposed to wait. Instead, the author needs to write the cartridge so the next command happens when the player taps on the "OK" button. That is, "message; when OK is tapped, message; when OK is tapped, message; when OK is tapped, input".
8 hours ago, Wæki3_KL6 said:

Are there more iPhone apps for Wherigo?

I'm using the Official Groundspeak Wherigo app (v341) referenced in post and wondering if there are alternatives.

The Wherigo Foundation was developing one and we pretty much completed it (a universal one that could be cross-compiled to Android).  However, we were waiting for a partnership with Groundspeak.  The company tends to react rather... uh... aggressively (ex. Munzee) to any type of competition.  Groundspeak acquired an interest in the iOS Wherigo app several years ago.  Because of that, we can't quite predict how they'd react to competition.  That and we were intending to tie our app to our Wherigo Foundation API to make it easier to search for and download cartridges (and, later, introduce video and multiplayer) as we were intending to have the Wherigo Foundation site as the official one by then.  I think the others in the Wherigo Foundation are waiting to see what happens before continuing.

The Wherigo app seems to be having issues with iOS 12. While many cartridges still work fine, some are now broken. The issue appears related to specific commands in certain cartridges. Does Groundspeak plan to update the aged Wherigo v341 app?  If not, is there another Wherigo app for iPhone that does work consistently?   (Android users report the cartridges work fine in their apps.)

Plenty of Wherigos are still being placed; in fact, there's been an uptick in new ones and player interest in the past year or so. Disappointed if Groundspeak is no longer supporting a geocache type it created, and that players are still enjoying.

I was able to download one cartridge for the app on my iPhone now when I search for the 12 new ones closest to me, I can see them on my iPhone but can't download them.  When I go to use my browser to download them, it says there are only four around me and that they are from years past.  What am I doing wrong?  How do I find and download all the new cartridges to my iPhone?

I'm getting lots of reports of problems with my new cartridge from iPhone users.

The cartridge has lots zones of different shapes and sizes and iPhone users cannot see them. I've edited the size of the zones on the cartridge to try to help but this is altering game play on Android but not having any impact on iPhone. The iPhone app is showing every active zone in the game and not responding to proximity or distance settings to activate/deactivate zones where you are within a certain distance of them. 

I'm coming to the following conclusions and it would be useful to have them confirmed or refuted

1) The iPhone app is incapable of displaying the size and shape of zones, just a pin.

2) The iPhone app doesn't respond to differences in the size and shape of zones but just has a default radius for all zones around the pin.

3) The iPhone app doesn't respond to proximity or distance settings.

If this is the case then there is nothing I can do to make this cartridge playable or several other cartridges I'm developing where the shape and size of zones is crucial as is being able to see them. Is the iPhone app only capable of running pin to pin style games? 

Some feedback would be appreciated as I feel like I'm banging my head against an iPhone app wall at the moment.

• Upvote 1

Ranger Fox gave us this workaround:

You can get around this by opening the Wherigo site in Safari outside the app.  Go to the download page as you would on the desktop.  Just before the download begins, Safari will ask if you want to open the cartridge in the Wherigo app.  Say yes and it will be done.  So there's a good workaround for things.  That's also how some people load cartridges from the other site.

I have done the above multiple times and I ham able to get the Wherigo in the iPhone app.

Maybe Groundspeak can commission Nick from Cachly to rewrite the Wherigo app for iPhone.

On 6/15/2019 at 11:46 AM, gjhimages said:

Maybe Groundspeak can commission Nick from Cachly to rewrite the Wherigo app for iPhone.

Maybe Groundspeak could support the Wherigo Foundation so we can release the universal app we created four or so years ago that resolves these issues.  You see, since Groundspeak has a patent on Wherigo and has an official iPhone player app, it's likely you can't release anything for the iPhone without potentially infringing on the patent and risking backlash from Groundspeak.  And you have to pay for Cachly.  Everything the Wherigo Foundation has done has always been free to all.  That's as far as you get without official support.

On 6/15/2019 at 5:46 PM, gjhimages said:

Ranger Fox gave us this workaround:

You can get around this by opening the Wherigo site in Safari outside the app.  Go to the download page as you would on the desktop.  Just before the download begins, Safari will ask if you want to open the cartridge in the Wherigo app.  Say yes and it will be done.  So there's a good workaround for things.  That's also how some people load cartridges from the other site.

I have done the above multiple times and I ham able to get the Wherigo in the iPhone app.

Thanks for the help on this.  I ran into the same issue and try to reauthorize my Wherigo app (and it appeared to do so without error) but when try to do this under Search I get the:

"Error talking to GC, retry" info banner and a "Groundspeak API/Error Not Authorized" notifications.  I was able to download through the more cumbersome steps described above.

Also has anyone tried uploading a save file recently?  I was trying to do this for one my carts that didn't have a code and it goes to a Wherigo page but nothing seems to upload.

g-o-cashers

I too am unable to receive authorization from Groundspeak to log in to the Wherigo App on my iPhone. I’ve never had this issue before. 

Is there an issue with the Wherigo app and Groundspeak ? I usually hit agree as I do with project gc and I’m instantly connected, now it just states there is an error ??

I did try using safari to open the app and that does allow me to get on Wherigo. Com and log in, but searching for a particular Wherigo is frustrating. Is there a way to look up a Wherigo by GC # that I’m just not seeing ?

Thanks !!

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, KCL Adventures said:

I too am unable to receive authorization from Groundspeak to log in to the Wherigo App on my iPhone. I’ve never had this issue before. 

Is there an issue with the Wherigo app and Groundspeak ? I usually hit agree as I do with project gc and I’m instantly connected, now it just states there is an error ??

I did try using safari to open the app and that does allow me to get on Wherigo. Com and log in, but searching for a particular Wherigo is frustrating. Is there a way to look up a Wherigo by GC # that I’m just not seeing ?

Thanks !!

This hasn’t worked since Groundspeak changed their API in June.  There is a workaround, but nothing to suggest the app will be fixed. ?

6 hours ago, No_Tomorrow said:

It's mid October and this is still happening. We've downloaded the cartridge through safari but the app still won't work. Is anything happening to fix this? Has anyone found a solution? 

I’m frustrated too that there seems to be no intention to fix the API authorisation errors in the iPhone app, but I haven’t had any problems running cartridges downloaded from the website.

Are you getting that same auth error in this case?  Do you have an example (GC Code) that I can test for you?

That’s correct: it’s old news.

I remember being told the news by Groundspeak when I was still having meetings with them. That day, I was attending a mini golf event.

I’ve recently been playing around with an overhaul of cartridges and the player app. I can define a cartridge in C# and use Blazor (WebAssembly) to run the cartridge natively in a browser player app. I still have a lot of work ahead, and I want to see if I can somehow run the lua engine in WebAssembly. This is more of a personal exercise, putting in work whenever, than something for me to release—especially because I want it to handle new things out of the box. 

Hi Ranger Fox, thanks for replying. From the interview, it sounds like Groundspeak is interested in "fixing" how the IOS player interacts with Wherigo.com, i'm not sure what exactly this entails but I will be curious to see if they update anything with the app. 

A browser player sounds really intriguing. I really like the idea of being able to use the same player on all types of phones. I'd be interested also to see what kind of new things you add to a cartridge.

I still have high hopes for Wherigo. In the interview, they said there are no feature plans for Wherigo besides fixing the IOS player. It sounds like they are investing all of their resources into Adventure Lab now. I guess they see it as a better alternative to Wherigo since they say it is alot more accessible. The way I see it is that adventure lab is basically the same thing as Wherigo kit. Although Adventure Lab might be a little more accessible, I believe it is actually the interest in coding and building more complicated cartridges that attracts people to these technology based experiences in the first place. Hopefully someday Wherigo.com can be updated, or Wherigo Foundation could be used as an alternate listing service, as it seems that so many of the problems revolve around the inability to update anything. Wherigo has so much potential, if they allowed the community to work on it, I think it could be even way more amazing.

Edited by Forest-Ghost
On 1/27/2020 at 1:38 PM, Forest-Ghost said:

Hi Ranger Fox, thanks for replying. From the interview, it sounds like Groundspeak is interested in "fixing" how the IOS player interacts with Wherigo.com, i'm not sure what exactly this entails but I will be curious to see if they update anything with the app. 

A browser player sounds really intriguing. I really like the idea of being able to use the same player on all types of phones. I'd be interested also to see what kind of new things you add to a cartridge.

I still have high hopes for Wherigo. In the interview, they said there are no feature plans for Wherigo besides fixing the IOS player. It sounds like they are investing all of their resources into Adventure Lab now. I guess they see it as a better alternative to Wherigo since they say it is alot more accessible. The way I see it is that adventure lab is basically the same thing as Wherigo kit. Although Adventure Lab might be a little more accessible, I believe it is actually the interest in coding and building more complicated cartridges that attracts people to these technology based experiences in the first place. Hopefully someday Wherigo.com can be updated, or Wherigo Foundation could be used as an alternate listing service, as it seems that so many of the problems revolve around the inability to update anything. Wherigo has so much potential, if they allowed the community to work on it, I think it could be even way more amazing.

If they don't fix the Wherigo app on iOS, they should retire the Wherigo cache type, since many cartridges are unplayable on iOS Wherigo app. There are numerous challenges, etc., involving Wherigos, and iPhone users are handicapped in completing them due to the many cartridges that don't work. 

• Surprised 1