Playing Wherigo on the iPhone

Ranger Fox

Per request, here's a topic in which to ask your questions about the iPhone Wherigo Player.

Is there a Wherigo Player for the iPhone? Where can I get it?

Yes, there is a Wherigo Player available for the iPhone, called "Wherigo". This is a link to the AppStore listing. The app is free, though it offers some bonus features for a fee.

How do I load cartridges using iTunes?

- click on your iPhone on the left under "Devices"

- click on the tab "Apps" on the top on the right side of the screen

- scroll down to find the lists "Apps" and "Documents"

- click on "Wherigo" in the "Apps" list

- the Documents list should show the documents of "Wherigo" and

you can add your cartridge from there

How do I unlock cartridges from the iPhone Wherigo Player?

1) From the app's main screen, click the blue arrow to the right of the cart's title

2) Click the green "Upload unlock file" button

3) Navigate to the cart's page on the Wherigo website

4) Click the "Unlock" button (with the key on it)

5) Click the "Upload your save game" link under Option 1

6) Finally, click the "Upload GWS File" button

If you have any other questions, please either add them here or create your own topic. If anyone has any other FAQs, I will add them to this opening post so it's convenient for others to find.

Edited by Ranger Fox
Added the question about if there's a Player and where to get it.

I've tried adding it through safari and through itunes for my iPhone 4 but nothing seems to be working. The iTunes directions are not making sense to me I am not able to find "apps and documents" for the Wherigo app. Can you please add photos? I am very frustrated that I haven't been able to figure this out.

I've tried adding it through safari and through itunes for my iPhone 4 but nothing seems to be working. The iTunes directions are not making sense to me I am not able to find "apps and documents" for the Wherigo app. Can you please add photos? I am very frustrated that I haven't been able to figure this out.

Videos are planned!

Hey there! I have now had 3 people complain about the iphone app and the Wherigo I created. In my Wherigo, there is an item you attain (bugspray) and a zone you use it in. If you try to use the bugspray outside of the zone, it gives you an error message. Inside the correct zone, it allows you to go on to the next portion of the Wherigo. The 3 people have tried using the bugspray in the zone, and it gives them the error message. This appears to ONLY happen with people using the iPhone app. Here is the cache page if you are interested.

Is there anything I can do to help my poor iPhone friends?

Hey there! I have now had 3 people complain about the iphone app and the Wherigo I created. In my Wherigo, there is an item you attain (bugspray) and a zone you use it in. If you try to use the bugspray outside of the zone, it gives you an error message. Inside the correct zone, it allows you to go on to the next portion of the Wherigo. The 3 people have tried using the bugspray in the zone, and it gives them the error message. This appears to ONLY happen with people using the iPhone app. Here is the cache page if you are interested.

Is there anything I can do to help my poor iPhone friends?

Maybe they're wandering outside the zone before they use it? If the zone is too small, they may be doing just that without realizing it. How are you checking whether they're inside the zone?

There were three different people with iPhones saying the same thing. One of them called me while they were doing it and described where they were, which is clearly inside the zone. I made fairly large zones when I put it together. They are also describing the screen that pops up when they enter the zone. I double checked with them to make sure they didn't enter the zone, then move out of it. I've never had anyone other than iPhone users have trouble with that aspect.

I will be going out with at least one of the teams a week and a half from now to run it with them and see if it's something we can trouble shoot. I posted here mostly to see if anyone else has heard of this kind of issue with the iPhone app. I wrote the first 2 off as possible user error, but when a third said the same thing, I grew suspicious.

I've found several issues relating to zones and the iPhone app. Not sure if any of them apply in this case.

1. Zone active but not visible; the commands gave me "nothing available". Making the zone visible they work.

2. Items/characters need to be in the zone. I tried to find one Wherigo where there was a character called "Forrester" who I could see. But because he wasn't placed in the zone I was in, the commands would not work.

3. Associating a custom command with a Zone. Below is a discussion I had with an owner on a cache which did not work on the iPhone. The owner changed the design and it now works on iPhone.

What you have done is interesting - and seems to highlight an iPhone specific bug I was not aware of. You have the custom command "Survey" associated with Zone A (and another one, with a space, with Zone M). You have then selected that these commands work with the specific object "Geiger Counter".

I just tested it locally on the iPhone, and confirms what we saw in the woods. There is no Survey button showing on either of the Zone screens or on the Geiger Counter.

I have never associated a custom command with a Zone - only with items or characters. And it seems the iPhone implementation doesn't support custom commands associated with a Zone. (Custom commands for an item or character work fine).

An easy fix would be associate the "Survey" command directly with the Item Geiger counter, and not with the zone. So just add a "Survey" command to the item Geiger Counter (with the same logic as you have currently for the zones), and delete the ones from the zones. So when the player enters the zone, they need to select the Geiger Counter to Survey (which is logical anyway).

Edited by redsox_mark

Is there a way to avoid iPhone app not to automatically save the game when exiting?

Imagine you make an error and wish to restart.

Before exiting the cartridge is saved... and then you won't have the previously saved version available, only the one saved just before closing...

Edited by MightyReek

Is there a way to avoid iPhone app not to automatically save the game when exiting?

Before exiting the cartridge is saved... and then you won't have the previously saved version available, only the one saved just before closing...

The app asks you whether you want to resume the previously saved game. If you choose not to, you restart anew.

The app asks you whether you want to resume the previously saved game. If you choose not to, you restart anew.

That's OK if you weren't too far into it. But if you'd solved #3 of 7 puzzles, saved, restored, and then made an error on #4, you'd like to be able to restore from after #3, not back to zero.

That's OK if you weren't too far into it. But if you'd solved #3 of 7 puzzles, saved, restored, and then made an error on #4, you'd like to be able to restore from after #3, not back to zero.

Precisely. It would be great if we can choose to save the game or not before closing the cartridge.

Precisely. It would be great if we can choose to save the game or not before closing the cartridge.

That would be great! Maybe in addition to the auto-save, a "save here" option which sorts saves by date/time. No idea when or if that feature could be added, unfortunately.

I got an error playing my first Wherigo cartridge on the iphone. it said something about me using an emulator, and it quit the cartridge. this was after playing it for about 15 minutes.

Sounds like a problem with the cartridge. Obviously, you weren't using an emulator! You might want to check with the cartridge author.

I do have an iPhone, but I don't understand how to get the cartridge into ituns. I refuse to install this programm, and any other apple software on my computer. Is there a different way to load cartridges or do I simply not understand how this works?

Mrs. terratin

in case youøre wondering: it's my office phone. I didn't have a choise in models :mad:

I do have an iPhone, but I don't understand how to get the cartridge into ituns. I refuse to install this programm, and any other apple software on my computer. Is there a different way to load cartridges or do I simply not understand how this works?

Mrs. terratin

in case youøre wondering: it's my office phone. I didn't have a choise in models :mad:

Not sure I understand, are you saying you do not want to install iTunes?

There are (at least) 2 ways to install a cartridge:

1. Do it all on the iPhone from the Wherigo app. No need to use a PC or itunes at all.

2. Use itunes on the PC. Go into the apps, file sharing section in itunes for your iphone and Drag the .gwc file into the Wherigo section.

Edited by redsox_mark

Thanks for your answer! I thought I really needed iTunes for this.

I just didn't quite see how to do it. I installed the app and signed in on the Wherigo website, found the one I want to play, and then chose Pocket PC Devise o the drop down menue. Though this seemed to be the wrong option at first as the cartridge would not start and give a red error message. But now it suddenly works :anitongue:

Problem solved I think :)

Mrs. terratin

Mrs. terratin

Not sure I understand, are you saying you do not want to install iTunes?

There are (at least) 2 ways to install a cartridge:

1. Do it all on the iPhone from the Wherigo app. No need to use a PC or itunes at all.

2. Use itunes on the PC. Go into the apps, file sharing section in itunes for your iphone and Drag the .gwc file into the Wherigo section.

Well this was working until recently. The Wherigo app no longer loads, heck it wont sign you on for that matter, just hangs. Something in the new Iphone release is probably the cause - attempted on Iphone 4 and Iphone 3GS both on IOS 6.0 - Prior to this release it worked flawlessly. I'm running the latest Geocaching app and most current Wherigo app. I was told (I haven't attempted) that it is still working on android.

BTW you can't load the GPX file with safari - not even sure other apps for jailbroke phones would even work (as it would be ill advised to jailbreak any smart phone I will never even attempt).

The new IOS 6.1 was just released and I'm installing and will attempt it again. I know this has worked in the past and is a very valuable asset to the Geocaching & Wherigo apps.

If there is an ongoing thread or fix in the wings please advise...

So Bummed... :(

Well this was working until recently. The Wherigo app no longer loads, heck it wont sign you on for that matter, just hangs. Something in the new Iphone release is probably the cause - attempted on Iphone 4 and Iphone 3GS both on IOS 6.0 - Prior to this release it worked flawlessly. I'm running the latest Geocaching app and most current Wherigo app. I was told (I haven't attempted) that it is still working on android.

BTW you can't load the GPX file with safari - not even sure other apps for jailbroke phones would even work (as it would be ill advised to jailbreak any smart phone I will never even attempt).

The new IOS 6.1 was just released and I'm installing and will attempt it again. I know this has worked in the past and is a very valuable asset to the Geocaching & Wherigo apps.

If there is an ongoing thread or fix in the wings please advise...

So Bummed... :(

I think it has something to do with the map feature. I'm pretty sure the next update will fix the problem; I haven't seen any hanging behavior in my testing so far, and I've been testing it with 6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.2, and now 6.1.

To my knowledge, there isn't an ongoing thread and this is the first time this particular issue has been raised. I have an iPhone, but I've been keeping it on OS5 because I don't care for the new maps. One of these days, I'll have to update it.

I usually hear about things like this via support emails.

Did some testing on Iphone IOS 6.1 yesterday and through the Wherigo app I was able to sign on, navigate to and download cartridges.

Went to the Grand Opening of the New Space Coast Geocaching Store and then off to celebrate a friends BDay so didn't get to do any..

Tested using Geocaching app still has the same problem on Iphone 3GS and 4G, the only way to sign on was to go to create a new account and then just use the sign in form. Could navigate to the cartridge but not download one.

Haven't tested safari and reading up it is a safari problem with file types - was told I could change browsers and firefox works - I'll have to check that out, so long as I don't have to jailbreak the phone.

Sorry I couldn't be more useful on this.

As for IOS level 6+ and the maps.. Really them seem fine. But I prefer Google maps app, voice turn by turn to your destination is as good as our car navigation and way easier to enter your destination, address or search and coordinates.. For Free you just can't beat that! The only issue is as with any gos app it will run your battery down... Oh and you can turn your apps off (sleep mode) and as you approach a waypoint/turn etc. it wakes up lets you know and then goes back to sleep - that's all cool but here's the draw back (for me anyway) it is still using gps tracking and running battery down. I seem to have to actually turn the app off, my phone off/sleep to completely get rid of the gps tracking indicator (top right next to charge/usb indicator). Oh and one more common sense thing - never put your home address in the home address field of any GPS navigation system just in case the bad guy gets a hold of it you're not giving it to him/her to add to the insult (been an issues in our neck of the woods lately, mostly with car navigation systems).

Did some testing on Iphone IOS 6.1 yesterday and through the Wherigo app I was able to sign on, navigate to and download cartridges.

Went to the Grand Opening of the New Space Coast Geocaching Store and then off to celebrate a friends BDay so didn't get to do any..

Tested using Geocaching app still has the same problem on Iphone 3GS and 4G, the only way to sign on was to go to create a new account and then just use the sign in form. Could navigate to the cartridge but not download one.

Haven't tested safari and reading up it is a safari problem with file types - was told I could change browsers and firefox works - I'll have to check that out, so long as I don't have to jailbreak the phone.

The next update will let you download from Safari and open the cartridge in the Wherigo app if you wish.

As for IOS level 6+ and the maps.. Really them seem fine. But I prefer Google maps app, voice turn by turn to your destination is as good as our car navigation and way easier to enter your destination, address or search and coordinates.. For Free you just can't beat that!

Actually, I meant the map feature within the app. You can't view the zones on Google Maps!

The only issue is as with any gos app it will run your battery down... Oh and you can turn your apps off (sleep mode) and as you approach a waypoint/turn etc. it wakes up lets you know and then goes back to sleep - that's all cool but here's the draw back (for me anyway) it is still using gps tracking and running battery down. I seem to have to actually turn the app off, my phone off/sleep to completely get rid of the gps tracking indicator (top right next to charge/usb indicator).

When the app is in the background, it does not make use of location services, so the arrow should eventually go away if you leave the app and open a non-navigation app.

Oh and one more common sense thing - never put your home address in the home address field of any GPS navigation system just in case the bad guy gets a hold of it you're not giving it to him/her to add to the insult (been an issues in our neck of the woods lately, mostly with car navigation systems).

Always navigate to the annoying neighbor's house!

If you're going to release a new version, spstanley, I have a request for you.

When I want to test a cartridge on my iPhone, I'd like some way other than using iTunes to import the cartridge as using iTunes is a rather slow way to copy a file (and I haven't connected my phone to my computer since I got the phone more than a year and a half ago). I'd prefer it if I could just direct the app's internal browser to any URI and it would download the GWC (even from Dropbox would be nice), but I've tried this several times, both with my internal network and with the web sites I own, and I am unable to download a cartridge from anywhere but the Wherigo.com domain.

I am unable to play an anywhere Wherigo on my iphone 4s os 6.1.3 i deleted and reloaded the app reset the phone still unable? regular Wherigo's play fine. Any feedback would be great thanks.

Maybe it is the particular cartridge you are playing. I have an iphone 4s running ios 6.1.3 and can play anywhere cartridges (eg: Slides and Ladders, Lexicon).

Hello,

Has anyone experiences with playing wherigos on iPhone5 ? Are there any differences between iPhone4 and 5 ?

I've played 3 Werigos on an iPhone5 (didn't have any experience on iPhone4 so cannot compare). The speed seems fine - no delays at all for me. Once the catridge got into a strange state and I could not continue and had to start again completely. That taught me to save my game after every waypoint.

The other issue I found annoying was that sometimes you have to scroll down to see all the information on a screen, and there's nothing to tell you that you need to do this, like a scroll bar.

Hello,

Has anyone experiences with playing wherigos on iPhone5 ? Are there any differences between iPhone4 and 5 ?

I've played 3 Werigos on an iPhone5 (didn't have any experience on iPhone4 so cannot compare). The speed seems fine - no delays at all for me. Once the catridge got into a strange state and I could not continue and had to start again completely. That taught me to save my game after every waypoint.

The other issue I found annoying was that sometimes you have to scroll down to see all the information on a screen, and there's nothing to tell you that you need to do this, like a scroll bar.

Oh, good point. I'll make sure the scroll bars are always visible.

Hello,

I've still a Problem, whenn playing Wherigo on an Iphone 5, even with my own cartridge.

The Problem: You enter a Zone. A Charakter will be move to the Zone and set visible. The charactar has a command "talk to". After tapping on that command, a messagebox appears. This works fine during several zones of the cartridge. But once it don't. Whenn tapping on the command you'll allways Switch to the main menu.

This happened first during a cartridge from someone else. So I tested one of my own cartridges - same Problem. I'd set up the Iphone 5 out of a backup from a former Version (Iphone 4). As I suggested the Problem there, I set up the Iphone 5 as a new Iphone. After that, I synched the Apps from ITunes. The following cartridges worked fine. But today, I did a new test and - the Problem occurs again?!?!?

I'm using Iphone 5, OS 6.1.3 and the Wherigoplayer V317.

Any ideas?

Best regards from Germany, and sorry, for my bad english

Hello,

I've still a Problem, whenn playing Wherigo on an Iphone 5, even with my own cartridge.

The Problem: You enter a Zone. A Charakter will be move to the Zone and set visible. The charactar has a command "talk to". After tapping on that command, a messagebox appears. This works fine during several zones of the cartridge. But once it don't. Whenn tapping on the command you'll allways Switch to the main menu.

This happened first during a cartridge from someone else. So I tested one of my own cartridges - same Problem. I'd set up the Iphone 5 out of a backup from a former Version (Iphone 4). As I suggested the Problem there, I set up the Iphone 5 as a new Iphone. After that, I synched the Apps from ITunes. The following cartridges worked fine. But today, I did a new test and - the Problem occurs again?!?!?

I'm using Iphone 5, OS 6.1.3 and the Wherigoplayer V317.

Any ideas?

Best regards from Germany, and sorry, for my bad english

It's possible the sequence of events is affecting when the command is successful, but an upcoming update may resolve the issue.

Woaw, this means it would be possible that dependences don't work ?!?

1.Statement : set A=5 (initial value was 0)

2.Statement : message A

Then in the messagebox comes "0" :blink:

Perhaps, why not, steps could be skipped. This could explain this issue.

What kind of update do you mean ? WhereYouGo ? Other Apps ? iOS ?

Woaw, this means it would be possible that dependences don't work ?!?

1.Statement : set A=5 (initial value was 0)

2.Statement : message A

Then in the messagebox comes "0" :blink:

Perhaps, why not, steps could be skipped. This could explain this issue.

I don't know why that's not working for you, but keep in mind that some cartridge editors prefix their variable names, so when you add your own Lua code, you need to use the same prefixing, otherwise you can end up setting one variable but displaying another.

The Wherigo app for the iPhone.

No, I don't have such a problem, I only want to say or ask, whether its possible to get such an error.

Whether the program doesn't work in order Step1-Step2-Step3 and so on, but Step2-Step3-Step1 ... This would be fatal.

It sounds so, as you say. Maybe I have missunderstood ...

No, I don't have such a problem, I only want to say or ask, whether its possible to get such an error.

Whether the program doesn't work in order Step1-Step2-Step3 and so on, but Step2-Step3-Step1 ... This would be fatal.

It sounds so, as you say. Maybe I have missunderstood ...

Oh, I get you. When I referred to sequence of events, I meant actual events, such as entering/exiting a zone, etc., not individual Lua statements.

I hope this is the correct part of the forum for this question. I just played a new Wherigo cartridge that came live as part of WWFM X, which performed flawlessly on my iPhone 4S. What I'm looking for is some suggestions on how I can cut down the number of steps I need to go through in order to get the cartridge loaded on my iPhone. Right now, here are the steps I go through:

1) Find the Wherigo on the iPhone Geocaching app

2) After reading the description, touch the button that reads 'view on external browser'

3) After noticing that Safari has logged me out from my previous session, log myself back in to Geocaching.com

4) Hit the 'back' button to get back to the Wherigo Cache

5) Touch on the link for the download page for the Wherigo cartridge

6) Touch on the navigation bar on the new page and use 'Select all' when the iPhone decides to finally give me that option, and then select 'Copy'

7) Exit out of Safari and open the Wherigo app

8) Touch on 'Download new cartridges' and past in the URL from the Safari web page

9) After futilely trying to download the cartridge a few times, notice that I have to log into that web page

10) After logging out, back out of the 'download new cartridge screen' and then go back into it

11) Download the cartridge and begin playing

Any suggestions would be most helpful... this process probably takes me at least five minutes and probably more closer to 10. (I have big fingers... doesn't make things easy) Thanks!

Limax, this issue will be resolved by the end of the year. A lot of issues will be resolved along with it. That said, when you fix one problem, you notice more you want to fix.

I thought I'd be able to share the news with the community by now, but I'm still waiting on an answer from Groundspeak.

Limax, this issue will be resolved by the end of the year. A lot of issues will be resolved along with it. That said, when you fix one problem, you notice more you want to fix.

I thought I'd be able to share the news with the community by now, but I'm still waiting on an answer from Groundspeak.

I was happy to see that there was a Wherigo app update for iPhone today!!

:D

There is a need for a fix since the app is now unplayable for me on iphone 5, especially with resuming existing saved carts and for play-anywhere-carts. Both cause the app to crash hard.

There is a need for a fix since the app is now unplayable for me on iphone 5, especially with resuming existing saved carts and for play-anywhere-carts. Both cause the app to crash hard.

The update actually fixes a problem with resuming cartridges, and previously saved cartridges may not be resumable due to the problem.

I'm having trouble with the iPhone Wherigo app not playing sounds. When you first open the app the sounds work, but if you push the iPhone home button, and then return to the Wherigo app, no sounds will play. I've reproduced this issue with both the Wherigo and Urwigo players. It seems to work fine on my Garmin.

I'm having trouble with the iPhone Wherigo app not playing sounds. When you first open the app the sounds work, but if you push the iPhone home button, and then return to the Wherigo app, no sounds will play. I've reproduced this issue with both the Wherigo and Urwigo players. It seems to work fine on my Garmin.

Thanks for the info! I haven't been able to reproduce this problem before, but now I can.

I'm having trouble with the iPhone Wherigo app not playing sounds.

These bug is known since last summer (July 2013), but nothing has happened. Besides playing is often impossible with a version above 317. It has an autosave and stucks. Many wig owners advice to use the version 137 if possible.

Discussed on a german board http://forum.geoclub.de/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=71010

Edited by jonny65

I don't have any Wherigo cartridges around me, but I thought I'd try the tutorial and maybe a couple of play anywhere ones. Couple of questions: When I search for nearby cartridges online, I can change my search distance from the default 50 miles to 100, but I can't on my phone (iPhone 4s) (result: no cartridges). So...search by name: Wherigo player tutorial. No results, even though I'm looking at it on my computer screen*. Then I realize: my phone specifically says "no caches found." Does it only search for hybrids? I guess...if I want to try the tutorial I have to go through the website on my phone? I saw Limax's post (seems like a similar issue) and the reply that it would be fixed by the end of last year. Maybe the fix was that downloading from the website actually puts the cartridge in the app? Seriously, I'm not trying to be cantankerous, but having to visit a website for an app to work these days seems silly, particularly considering there is not a mobile version of the website. :(

*Even on my laptop, getting to the tutorial is several steps. Might be nice to have it on the home page, or come up automatically on the app for new players. From "my home" I get a notice of newest cartridges in my area. When I select "view all nearby cartridges" I get no results but the tutorial comes up, which is what I had to do in Safari from my phone to get it. Totally found it by accident.

Edit: aaaargh, I found a cartridge I'd like to do in Michigan next week. Searched the app by GC code...no link to download the cartridge???? Edit again: worse, when I go to the site in Safari, I CAN'T search by GC code. Ugh.

Edited by ByronForestPreserve

I can get to the tutorial cartridge using spstanley's app by following these steps:

1. Tap to download a cartridge from Wherigo.com. (This will send me to the browser.)
  2. Go to the advanced search option.
  3. Select "Keyword Search" from the drop-down list.
  4. Type the word "Tutorial", casing included, in the text box.

The tutorial displays as the first cartridge in the list.

You cannot search the Wherigo site or app by GC code. (Thank you for the unintentional suggestion for the Wherigo Foundation site. I'll allow people to search for cartridges by either WG or GC code. If more than one cartridge uses a GC code, the search page will be used. Very interesting feature or Easter egg to add...)

I can get to the tutorial cartridge using spstanley's app by following these steps:

1. Tap to download a cartridge from Wherigo.com. (This will send me to the browser.)

Yes, I did find it. I just thought it would appear in a search from the app itself. I guess it didn't matter in the end, though, as there aren't links from search results to the Wherigo site to download the cartridge. I'm not sure what the practical functionality of the search is, in fact, since it has to be repeated from the phone's browser anyway.

You cannot search the Wherigo site or app by GC code. (Thank you for the unintentional suggestion for the Wherigo Foundation site. I'll allow people to search for cartridges by either WG or GC code. If more than one cartridge uses a GC code, the search page will be used. Very interesting feature or Easter egg to add...)

As for searching the app by GC code, my screen looks like this:

MICDb12.png

It would be nice to have that added to the website, though I think I would take links to the download from the app (or in-app downloads) before that addition. I have known about Wherigo for a couple of years, but there still aren't any around me. Maybe something will click and there will be a boom of users...

I could try to make a change to scrape the cache page description for cartridge links. I'll see what can be done.

Yes, I did find it. I just thought it would appear in a search from the app itself. I guess it didn't matter in the end, though, as there aren't links from search results to the Wherigo site to download the cartridge. I'm not sure what the practical functionality of the search is, in fact, since it has to be repeated from the phone's browser anyway.

As for searching the app by GC code, my screen looks like this:

MICDb12.png

It would be nice to have that added to the website, though I think I would take links to the download from the app (or in-app downloads) before that addition. I have known about Wherigo for a couple of years, but there still aren't any around me. Maybe something will click and there will be a boom of users...