Earthcache abuse?

SwineFlew

I can see this thread headed in a bad direction already.

I'll just answer, no, I have not run into this...ever.

* EDIT for spelling.

Ok, I dont handout in this thread much, so is this a touchy topic? :unsure:

Axe-grinding occurs here fairly often and EC owners are often portrayed as elitist and unbending. My apologies if I misconstrued the intent of your post.

Without much of he background details, it's difficult to say.

I have had people email answers to me on my EarthCaches which were not the answers I was looking for. When I asked them about it, they admitted that they had to Google the answers. Either they'd lost their sheet, or were trying to log from a visit years ago, or whatever. My questions were based on information from the signs at the site. I can tell if someone read the signs or just did internet research to come up with their answers.

For EarthCaches asking for an estimate of the dimentions of some features, they should be prepared to accept almost any answer. An esitmate is an esitmate - there is no right or wrong. Hopefully they have included a more concrete question which they could actually use to verify answers.

EarthCaches are supposed to get visitors thinking about what they are seeing at the site and making some sort of analysis based on their observations. The important part is that they are thinking about what they are seeing. Whether or not they get the answers exactly right is not my biggest concern. That is why I try to respond to all emails with the answers to my EarthCache questions. If they get the answers wrong, I provide them with the correct ones and allow them to log their find.

Did the cache owner say that you could not log a find, or just that your answers were wrong? If they told you that you cannot log a find, then that's something you should probably take up with TPTB if you legitimately visited the site and submitted your answers.

Without much of he background details, it's difficult to say.

I have had people email answers to me on my EarthCaches which were not the answers I was looking for. When I asked them about it, they admitted that they had to Google the answers. Either they'd lost their sheet, or were trying to log from a visit years ago, or whatever. My questions were based on information from the signs at the site. I can tell if someone read the signs or just did internet research to come up with their answers.

For EarthCaches asking for an estimate of the dimentions of some features, they should be prepared to accept almost any answer. An esitmate is an esitmate - there is no right or wrong. Hopefully they have included a more concrete question which they could actually use to verify answers.

EarthCaches are supposed to get visitors thinking about what they are seeing at the site and making some sort of analysis based on their observations. The important part is that they are thinking about what they are seeing. Whether or not they get the answers exactly right is not my biggest concern. That is why I try to respond to all emails with the answers to my EarthCache questions. If they get the answers wrong, I provide them with the correct ones and allow them to log their find.

Did the cache owner say that you could not log a find, or just that your answers were wrong? If they told you that you cannot log a find, then that's something you should probably take up with TPTB if you legitimately visited the site and submitted your answers.

They deleted my logs twice and GS said they are on his side because he knows the "answers" and the rest of the finder are getting it "right." Long story stort, this cacher doesnt like me because I reported on him to remove the picture requirement. (I did it via email to the earthcache reviewer)

I am moving on, however, I just want to see what other say about this matter.

Edited by SwineFlew

They deleted my logs twice and GS said they are on his side because he knows the "answers" and the rest of the finder are getting it "right." Long story stort, this cacher doesnt like me because I reported on him to remove the picture requirement. (I did it via email to the earthcache reviewer)

I cannot say I'm surprised by this. I think it's human nature to grant more leeway to those we can align ourselves with. Rocking his EC boat was likely enough to make your answers a little less than acceptable. I'd say that you learned more about human nature than about the EarthCache you visited.

I cannot say I'm surprised by this. I think it's human nature to grant more leeway to those we can align ourselves with. Rocking his EC boat was likely enough to make your answers a little less than acceptable. I'd say that you learned more about human nature than about the EarthCache you visited.

Thanks for your post. Well said. I am moving on.

This all I gotta say about the CO.

98381664.jpg

As I mentioned in a threadthat looked at a comparable situation from the cache owners point of view. Their responses/logging policing is the only way most cachers will ever interact with them. They are building thier own Karma. It works on both sides of the log.

sure there is a wrong answer...if someone tells you is 10 meters high when in fact is 200, its quite obvious they were not at the location, anything that is drastically off from the actual answers it is wrong

Did I dream it, was it a suggestion, or was it implemented...

Earthcache setters had to put the 'correct' answers in a Note to Reviewer, so were hidden when the cache was Published, so any problems with the answers could be solved/resolved...? :unsure:

And the "Photo of yourself/GPS..." requirement was removed, made 'Optional' and NOT Grandfathered in...

(Groundspeaks policy to the Geological Society, if I remember correctly)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Can a earthcache owner abuse their power by saying most of the answers that was send to them are wrong when it isnt?

Anyone here run into this problem?

With my experience, yes. This account has had this issue with an ECO abusing their powers, but in both cases with the support of GSA and appeals the issues were corrected, and only envolved one ECO.

Well said Manville. That's why we say IT"S A GAME! Don't let it go to your head. It sort of reminds me of what a very good friend, who us retired military, once said, "there is nothing worse than a private with a clipboard!" Unfortunately, in our GAME, there are a few of those privates. :)

Can a earthcache owner abuse their power by saying most of the answers that was send to them are wrong when it isnt?

With my experience, yes. This account has had this issue with an ECO abusing their powers, but in both cases with the support of GSA and appeals the issues were corrected, and only envolved one ECO.

Well said Manville. That's why we say IT"S A GAME! Don't let it go to your head. It sort of reminds me of what a very good friend, who us retired military, once said, "there is nothing worse than a private with a clipboard!" Unfortunately, in our GAME, there are a few of those privates. :)

There are two sides to every story...some folks have entitlement issues.

There are two sides to every story...some folks have entitlement issues.

I just don't think that GSA or Groundspeak would stand behind a CO because a finder has entitlement issues. I say this because in my case GSA archive the listing until the CO removed the ALR's and Groundspeak appeals did not stand behind their area reviewer. They went by the book.