Two Pocket Query additions...

iryshe

1. Added "caches on your watch list" as an option for receiving a Pocket Query.

2. Added the delete option for your Pocket Query. You're still limited to 5 queries a day but you don't have to edit old ones now to create new queries.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

Any thought to making cache type a part of the query information, for example micro, regular size? Would like to have that info in GPS on comment section along with name of the cache. Anyone know how to edit GPX files with notepad to take out the "by so and so" portion of the cache name? It cuts down on the message capacity of the unit. I can load 500 waypoints but only 200 will have messages. I tried to find and replace "by_____]]" but that wont work.

Folks tell me there's no P in hamster. Oh yeah, SQUEEZE ONE!

quote:
Originally posted by sledgehampster:

Anyone know how to edit GPX files with notepad to take out the "by so and so" portion of the cache name?

I'll tell you how to do it if you tell me where you're getting a GPX file. icon_biggrin.gif

Assuming you're talking about LOC files, you're almost there. You just need to search-and-replace " by ______]]" with "]]" using an appropriate editor. But - and this is the important part - you need to make sure the _____ part doesn't include any ']' characters.

If you're using Perl or another reasonably competent regular-expression matching engine, you'd use something like this:

s/ by [^]]+]]/]]/g;

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

1. Added "caches on your watch list" as an option for receiving a Pocket Query.

Could you add "caches NOT on your watch list" as well? That'd give me a way to easily exclude all of the caches Warm Fuzzies have found and hidden while still getting my queries as myself.

warm.gif

I open the LOC file with EasyGPS, then do SAVE AS. Name it first and change format to GPX.

Save it.

You then have a LOC and a GPX file.

Only drawback is I can't get Geobuddy to open a GPX file icon_frown.gif

I'll tell you how to do it if you tell me where you're getting a GPX file. icon_biggrin.gif

Assuming you're talking about LOC files, you're almost there. You just need to search-and-replace " by ______]]" with "]]" using an appropriate editor. But - and this is the important part - you need to make sure the _____ part doesn't include any ']' characters.

If you're using Perl or another reasonably competent regular-expression matching engine, you'd use something like this:

s/ by [^]]+]]/]]/g;

http://216.202.195.127/warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

Could you add "caches NOT on your watch list" as well? That'd give me a way to easily exclude all of the caches Warm Fuzzies have found and hidden while still getting my queries as myself.

Is this a good place to insert the old 'How about an ignore list?' suggestion?

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

quote:

I open the LOC file with EasyGPS, then do SAVE AS. Name it first and change format to GPX.

Save it.

You then have a LOC and a GPX file.

Only drawback is I can't get Geobuddy to open a GPX file icon_frown.gif

It may be in GPX format, but just converting the LOC to a GPX doesn't add any information; and extra information is a major part of the usefulness of the proposed GPX output...

quote:

True. But it does give me the ability to redesignate waypoints as I see fit.

Not automatically it doesn't. You still have to go through the waypoints by hand to identify which are virtual.

The whole point of the GPX format is that it will contain that information within the cache record, so any renaming you choose to do can be done automatically.

I have a Perl script that reads the .loc files directly (they are already XML, for what it's worth), gets rid of the useless "by so-and-so" information, and writes them to a .csv file that can be read by g7towin (which is a far better waypoint management program than EasyGPS, by the way). But it cannot distinguish virtual caches from regular caches unless the cache name has the word "virtual" in it. That's why we are so hot and bothered to get the real GPX format up and running, and why we are so frustrated that Jeremy won't even give us a status report on how it is going.

quote:
Not automatically it doesn't. You still have to go through the waypoints _by hand_ to identify which are virtual.

I do a Virtual query and then open the LOC file and save as a GPX file. Open with NOTEPAD and do find/replace. I replace GC ????? with VC?????

Then I change Default Icon to Sightseeing.

Still have to manually do "by so and so" individually. icon_frown.gif

http://www.geocities.com/sledgehampster/Sledgehampster.html