Looking for GPX Version 1.0.6

ngrrfan

According to Garmin, GPX version 1.0.6 is needed to load pocket queries into the new Etrex 20 (probably the 10 and 30 as well, but I only have the 20).

SO... if this version isn't available yet, how are PQs being loaded into the 20s? I've tried Mapsource and GSAK but they don't play well with the 20.

AFAIK, there's no 1.0.6. Just 1.1 (not used on these units) 1.0 (the old standard), and the 1.0.1 gc.com version (that includes attributes & etc. as an extension to the spec). There certainly isn't a gc.com output option that can be configured in Your Preferences for anything else. That said .. Garmin and gc.com haven't been talking nice for some time now. Perhaps Garmin is now adding their own tweaks to 1.0, and hasn't bothered letting gc.com know?

Where at Garmin have you seen this version of a gpx file referenced???

You SHOULD be able to take the PQ files you are generating, unzip them, and using a PC, copy the *.gpx file(s) over to the appropriate folder on the eTrex -- all assuming that the new eTrex series follows the Garmin trend for all recent units in that it looks like a mass storage device when plugged into a PC. Not having one in my hands to play with, I can't say that for certain.

As far as GSAK goes, v 8.x will likely be released shortly, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Clyde has found a way to take these new units into account.

Edited by ecanderson

According to Garmin, GPX version 1.0.6 is needed to load pocket queries […]

Do you mean Firmware 1.06 and have mistakenly confused the terms?

Nope... don't mean firmware. :)

(Now where did I see that?? Garmin website?? Quick start Manual?? Owners manual??) Gotta keep looking.... unless I"m losing my mind. :lol:

I wonder if v1.06 is something used on OpenCaching.com?

You know, that would not surprise me. Apparently there is no love lost between GC and Garmin. Garmin dropped Wherigo support, so introducing a new .gpx format to give additional features that can't be found on GC.com would not surprise me.

I wonder if v1.06 is something used on OpenCaching.com?

You know, that would not surprise me. Apparently there is no love lost between GC and Garmin. Garmin dropped Wherigo support, so introducing a new .gpx format to give additional features that can't be found on GC.com would not surprise me.

They do have their own GPX extensions with additional info, but they're just extensions and are not incompatible. Also I see no mention of any 1.0.6 version in any of their XML schemas.

AH HA!!!! FOUND IT!!!!!

From the Garmin Etrex 20 FAQ section:

-----------------------------------------

Why do my Pocket Queries display as waypoints instead of Geocaches?

Answer:

If the Pocket Query displays the geocaches as waypoints instead of geocaches, the GPX verison in the user profile will need to be changed to 1.6 in the Geocaching.com user account.

To do this

Click on Your Profile

Click on Your Account Details

Click on Change next to Your Prefrences

Change the GPX version to 1.0 6.

Click on Save Changes

Now all Pocket Query geocaches show on the Garmin units as geocaches.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

So... where is version 1.0.6??

*(I knew I wasn't going crazy or losing my mind!!)* :anibad:

According to Garmin, GPX version 1.0.6 is needed to load pocket queries into the new Etrex 20 (probably the 10 and 30 as well, but I only have the 20).

SO... if this version isn't available yet, how are PQs being loaded into the 20s? I've tried Mapsource and GSAK but they don't play well with the 20.

So you're saying that the new Etrex 20 isn't like a USB where you copy/paste the PQ files in "Garmin", "GPX", like I do with my 62s and Oregon 450? I'm thinking of ordering an Etrex 30 and I was hoping there wouldn't be problems like this.

NOTE: I just downloaded the Etrex (10 20 30) manual, which I should have done in the first place, and the procedure for loading PQ's is the same as the 62s and Oregon 450. When loading PQ's as stated on page 44, does a pop-up appear when you try to add the PQ contents?

Edited by luvvinbird

So you're saying that the new Etrex 20 isn't like a USB where you copy/paste the PQ files in "Garmin", "GPX", like I do with my 62s and Oregon 450? I'm thinking of ordering an Etrex 30 and I was hoping there wouldn't be problems like this.

NOTE: I just downloaded the Etrex (10 20 30) manual, which I should have done in the first place, and the procedure for loading PQ's is the same as the 62s and Oregon 450. When loading PQ's as stated on page 44, does a pop-up appear when you try to add the PQ contents?

OK... I have an etrex Venture HC. It has a USB port. To load caches, I open the GPX file in Mapsource or GSAK, or EasyGPS and then do a "Send to Device". No copying, no pasting, no treating it like a mass storage device. :D So being a USB device has no bearing on how to do it. Nuvi's are USB and you don't do a copy and paste with them.

Now I ASSUMED (yeah I know.....) that since this new unit is an ETREX (see the same word as MY GPS??) 20 that the loading of caches would be the same. When I load a cache from Geocaching.com I do a "Send to My GPS" (just like I did with the Venture). Again.... no copying, no pasting, no treating it like it was a mass storage device.

BTW.... I was able to send topo maps the the 20 using Mapsource, again without copying or pasting anything.

SO.... when I went to the Garmin site and looked up the FAQ, after trying to decipher what the heck the useless manual was trying to say {and it is useless to me because it wasn't written dumb enough for this old man}, that's where I came up with the V1.0.6 GPX stuff.

Now my question is.... how do I unmark a cache as found and how do I load custom waypoint icons into the 20, but this is the subject for a new thread.

OK... I have an etrex Venture HC. It has a USB port. To load caches, I open the GPX file in Mapsource or GSAK, or EasyGPS and then do a "Send to Device". No copying, no pasting, no treating it like a mass storage device. :D So being a USB device has no bearing on how to do it. Nuvi's are USB and you don't do a copy and paste with them.

Now I ASSUMED (yeah I know.....) that since this new unit is an ETREX (see the same word as MY GPS??) 20 that the loading of caches would be the same. When I load a cache from Geocaching.com I do a "Send to My GPS" (just like I did with the Venture). Again.... no copying, no pasting, no treating it like it was a mass storage device.

BTW.... I was able to send topo maps the the 20 using Mapsource, again without copying or pasting anything.

SO.... when I went to the Garmin site and looked up the FAQ, after trying to decipher what the heck the useless manual was trying to say {and it is useless to me because it wasn't written dumb enough for this old man}, that's where I came up with the V1.0.6 GPX stuff.

Now my question is.... how do I unmark a cache as found and how do I load custom waypoint icons into the 20, but this is the subject for a new thread.

So I can relax now and place my order, lol?

We got the first part taken care of in the other thread ref the Oregon Wiki (that was covered there under GC-8). It would not surprise me at all if the new 20 manages custom icons the same way the Oregon does, so I'd be looking a bit deeper into that Oregon Wiki for that information, too.

Is that what the "Garmin Mode" on the 20 is for? So that you can use the "Send to My GPS" button instead of saving the .gpx file to the computer first and then dragging it over to the GPSr in mass storage mode? Another topic that isn't discussed in the owner's manual, sigh...

Is that what the "Garmin Mode" on the 20 is for? So that you can use the "Send to My GPS" button instead of saving the .gpx file to the computer first and then dragging it over to the GPSr in mass storage mode? Another topic that isn't discussed in the owner's manual, sigh...

Beats me. :laughing:

I was snooping around in setup and noticed my 20 was in Mass Storage mode and that has no bearing on sending a cache directly to it from the website.

I tried setting it to Garmin mode and sending things to it from Mapsource and that didn't seem to make a difference there either.

At this point, with all the help here, I've got most of it figured out, but I agree that the manual is pathetic and very poorly written (probably by some engineer who has no clue or a tech writer who has never used one.) :laughing:

At this point, with all the help here, I've got most of it figured out, but I agree that the manual is pathetic and very poorly written (probably by some engineer who has no clue or a tech writer who has never used one.) :laughing:

A tad slim, yes. Just out of curiosity, does the 62 include a folder called Documents\files\pdf in the root? If so, is there a file there called OM_EN.pdf there? Not saying it's any better than what you've already read, but that's where they've been stashing the 'manual' for recent models in case anyone was wondering. Edited by ecanderson

Garmin told me i need 1.0.6. for my oregon 550t also.

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

I would be happy to assist you with this.

The software update for the Oregon enhanced the way the GPX files are read by the device. Please check with geocaching.com as to why you are unable to change the GPX version to version 1.0.6.

It is possible that the GPX version is set different in your account. If you are downloading from Geocaching.com, please try the follow steps to change the GPX version in your account.

1. Log into Geocaching.com

2. Click on Your Profile

3. Click on Your Account Details

4. Click on Change next to Your Preferences

5. Change the GPX version to 1.0 6.

6. Click on Save Changes

I did this but 1.0.6 is not an option....anywhere.

Edited by Visiting Vet Tech

I don't see 1.0.6 either, just 1.0 and 1.0.1.

But why do you want to change it? Is something not working properly with your Oregon?

I've got an eTrex 20, and GPX 1.0 works fine with that.

my geocaches arent always showing up. I create a pq and load it but when i turn on the gps it says no cahces found

This is a common problem with some Garmin GPSr's dating back to at least the GPS V. While frustrating, occasionally you will load a file and the caches will not show up. Via the PC, go in and delete the GPX file and then reload it. They will show up. I have it on the Montana, although not really considered geocache friendly GPSr anyway, as well as my previous caches including the 60CS and Colorado. The 20 and Oregon ownd by friends have occasionally done this to two individuals I cache with regularly.

Just need to check after loading to make sure they show up before heading out the door.