Crossed out Cache?

bsandrew

I just checked my Geocaches and noted that one of them has a line crossing out the title (see below):

Sunday, 25 September 2011California

bsandrew found Balboa Park International Exchange This Cache name has a line essentially crossing it out.

Field Note: Found it totally exposed next to a palm tree. Everthing of value has been taken and there is no log. Bring paper if you look for this one. I hid it under a downed tree 30ft from the palm tree. Wood is wood.

I salvaged the Cache and put it nearby, staying true to the hint. Can anyone tell me what's the story with the line crossing out the Cache name??? Did the Cache owner do it?

Edited by bsandrew

The blue line through the cache name indicates that it has been temporarily disabled either by a volunteer reviewer or (as in this case) by the cache owner. A red line through the cache name would indicate the cache name indicates that a reviewer or owner has permanently archived the cache.

The owner temporarily disabled the cache because everything inside it (including the log) has gone missing. It's no longer a real cache, so the owner has informed potential searchers of this problem by disabling it. If a cacher wants to find the empty box, they can do so. If they bring their own sheet of paper, they can leave it as a temporary log and sign it.

I just checked my Geocaches and noted that one of them has a line crossing out the title (see below):

bsandrew found Balboa Park International Exchange This Cache name has a line essentially crossing it out.

Field Note: Found it totally exposed next to a palm tree. Everthing of value has been taken and there is no log. Bring paper if you look for this one. I hid it under a downed tree 30ft from the palm tree. Wood is wood.

I salvaged the Cache and put it nearby, staying true to the hint. Can anyone tell me what's the story with the line crossing out the Cache name??? Did the Cache owner do it?

The cache has been temporarily disabled by the owner as a cacher has found the container seriously 'tampered' with. The most recent logs on the cache page confirm this. It looks like they will undertake maintenance and re-enable the cache soon. Your caching numbers/ stats will not be amended.

If you took a minute to look at the cache page you would have discovered the cache has been disabled by the owner. It is disabled because it has been muggled and then moved by you.

Thanks everybody... Yes, I figured that out after going to the Cache page and saw that the owner said it was temporarily unavailable but he/she pointed to my log as a hint to the new, temporary hiding place. The owner will retrieve it and put it in its proper place.

Again, thanks everyone.