Uploading a cartridge on iphone

j-annie

I have built 7 Wherigo cartridges in Sweden and when I had my Oregon 550T i could test them before publishing them. Then came PiGo and I adapted the games for the Iphone and updated the games on the Wherigo page to a new version.I have sold my Oregon and bought a Montana without Wherigo as the games work much better in smartphones.

Now the problem; Earlier I just compiled the cartridge to my computer and just moved it over to the oregon and try them out.

Now I plan a new cartridge just for smartphones but I do not know how to test it. I can not publish it before testing but that might be the only way to load it into the smartphone (iphone) as you only load the cartridge direct into the phone. There are a Cartridge Compile service but is it possible to load it into the smartphone that way? The Iphone access I guess only the oficial Wherigo page for download.

I could of cause publish it on the offical site and write a Text "Just for testing by the owner"

Any solution?

j-annie

You can download the cartridge to the iPhone using iTunes. PiGo (or Wherigo, as the app is now called) allows that. Choose the phone in iTunes and select the applications tab in iTunes. Each app has a Documents folder, where you can put your cartridge from your computers harddrive. Good Luck and Greetings from Germany!

That's right. I'm aware of these being your only options:

1. Publish to Wherigo.com, but don't show it in the listing. Browse to the cartridge on the site using the iPhone and download it.
  2. Use iTunes to copy the cartridge to the device. To be honest, I dislike this way because iTunes wants to spend time syncing and all I want is half a minute to copy the cartridge over.
  3. Set up a web server on your computer and publish to a directory. Point PiGo's browser to your computer (to type in the URL, pull down the browser's page and you'll see the address bar). You may also be able to access it via network share. You could always email yourself a link to wherever you have the file, copy it to the iPhone's clipboard, and paste it into PiGo's browser.

Perhaps, later, when Groundspeak works on the Wherigo API, you'll be given a small temporary repository with which to load cartridges to PiGo and other Players using the API.

That's right. I'm aware of these being your only options:

1. Publish to Wherigo.com, but don't show it in the listing. Browse to the cartridge on the site using the iPhone and download it.
  2. Use iTunes to copy the cartridge to the device. To be honest, I dislike this way because iTunes wants to spend time syncing and all I want is half a minute to copy the cartridge over.
  3. Set up a web server on your computer and publish to a directory. Point PiGo's browser to your computer (to type in the URL, pull down the browser's page and you'll see the address bar). You may also be able to access it via network share. You could always email yourself a link to wherever you have the file, copy it to the iPhone's clipboard, and paste it into PiGo's browser.

Perhaps, later, when Groundspeak works on the Wherigo API, you'll be given a small temporary repository with which to load cartridges to PiGo and other Players using the API.

I know that I found this document folder when the app was called PiGo earlier but now I cannot find it. I open Itunes and have all programs (apps) try to rightclick on the app but do not see the documentfolder, where alla my downloaded files should be, or?

j-annie

I know that I found this document folder when the app was called PiGo earlier but now I cannot find it. I open Itunes and have all programs (apps) try to rightclick on the app but do not see the documentfolder, where alla my downloaded files should be, or?

j-annie

- click on your iPhone on the left under "Devices"

- click on the tab "Apps" on the top on the right side of the screen

- scroll down to find the lists "Apps" and "Documents"

- click on "Wherigo" in the "Apps" list

- the Documents list should show the documents of "Wherigo" and

you can add your cartridge from there

Good luck again!

j-annie

- click on your iPhone on the left under "Devices"

- click on the tab "Apps" on the top on the right side of the screen

- scroll down to find the lists "Apps" and "Documents"

- click on "Wherigo" in the "Apps" list

- the Documents list should show the documents of "Wherigo" and

you can add your cartridge from there

Good luck again!

Thanks found it below.Now I can do a cartridge just for Iphone (smartphones)

j-annie

Ranger Fox,

Can we get a pinned "Wherigo app for iPhone" topic? Probably in the Playing Wherigo forum? This subject (loading carts into the app) comes up regularly, and your tips above and RaNa2009's step-by-step instructions should always be in easy reach. Another subject is unlocking carts from within the app which I detailed here. Thanks!

This info is 4.5 years old now but still seems to be the way to get cartridges into the iPhone app. The Wherigo web site doesn't have an option for an iPhone cartridge download but I used the "Pocket PC" file and it seemed to work fine. I have not yet played it though!

Edited by NeverLostAu

Just as another option for those who don't use/like iTunes as much. You can load cartridges through the iPhone file system "Open with..." menus. So if you put a cartridge on dropbox, or even email it, you should be able to "Open with..." the Wherigo app. Especially for testing out cartridges you're developing this is a much faster way to load them.

I admit, I am not very computer savvy. I have the Wherigo app on my iPhone 5, I have searched for the Wherigo geocache I was going to try and found it on the Wherigo app on my phone. How do I go from there to adding the cartridge on the Wherigo app to my iPhone?

I think you're saying you found the cartridge listing using the iPhone Wherigo app and you want to download it to the app so you can play it.

Well, you're probably looking at a web page. You have to log in to the Wherigo site on that web page. After that, you can click on the download button on that web page and it'll take you to another web page and ask you about the device for which you want to download the cartridge (it might also ask you to accept a license agreement). Make sure "PocketPC" is selected, then tap the download button. The app will catch the download and add it to the cartridge list within the app. From there, you can launch the cartridge.

I think you're saying you found the cartridge listing using the iPhone Wherigo app and you want to download it to the app so you can play it.

Well, you're probably looking at a web page. You have to log in to the Wherigo site on that web page. After that, you can click on the download button on that web page and it'll take you to another web page and ask you about the device for which you want to download the cartridge (it might also ask you to accept a license agreement). Make sure "PocketPC" is selected, then tap the download button. The app will catch the download and add it to the cartridge list within the app. From there, you can launch the cartridge.

Success...thank you so much!