Preferred Swag

Yazhi75

I have seen posts of people complaining of swag being left behind. I do agree most cachers don't put a lot of effort when leaving swag. I almost always never take anything but do leave a little something. Pocket knives, flashlight, kids stuff if cache is kid friendly. I would like to see more stuff aimed towards adults instead of plastic cheap kid toys. Just being curious here what kind of swag do you like to see being left?

I have seen posts of people complaining of swag being left behind. I do agree most cachers don't put a lot of effort when leaving swag. I almost always never take anything but do leave a little something. Pocket knives, flashlight, kids stuff if cache is kid friendly. I would like to see more stuff aimed towards adults instead of plastic cheap kid toys. Just being curious here what kind of swag do you like to see being left?

Pocket knives should never be left in a cache regardless if it is "kids friendly" or not. I leave all sorts of thing, pen, keyrings, logbooks. I have also left batteries there, full of course.

i was leaving nice LED flashlights, decks of cards and new kids toys (not mcD)

The local dollar store had the flashlights for a buck and I took the whole case, almost out of them now :(

I rarely take anything at all, unless my kids want something but always leave something if there is room

Edited by z0mbieCache

Nothing makes my day like a travel bug or a geocoin I run across. :) I guess that probably goes without saying...

I've seen some neat costume jewelry, got a pretty little butterfly ring out of one cache. Every once in a while we'll run across wooden handmade toys, which are really impressive, but we leave those be for the kids. One signature item - by the Wagners I believe? - we've seen several times is REALLY nice - a little jewelry ziploc full of fine white sand and a few shells or pebbles, for people to make their own zen rock/seashell gardens. :)

I carry a bunch of Disney character cell phone straps with me to put into caches I find. I only have 1 of my own caches out there right now but the first person that found it took the strap and left a mini-Batmobile. I'm thinking of replacing it with another strap, that little Batmobile is really cool. Haha!!

I prefer foreign coins. Non-US coins that is.

You mean the ones that will be worth something? :P Actually, I keep "Good Luck" coins, Geocaching buttons. For the larger caches, I have P-38 can openers. Kind of sharp but only lethal with a LOT of time and effort.

Edited by DontPanic67

On one of my first cache runs my wife was with me and saw some Mardi Gras beads and she decided that she liked them, so I left a couple of bucks.

In the almost last 11 years I figure I've doled out over 2 grand for those dadgum beads,and she has about 3 shoe boxes of them. Otherwise i do not trade

I am very new at this (as in started last week). I really liked the MCD toys at first, but thought the kids might want them so I take non-kid stuff. I bought a bag of small items such as beaded zipper pulls, mardi gras beads, parachute men, whoppie cushions, finger flashlights, rings, small beaded boxes, etc. after my first find. Now that I have found a few, I really like the coins. I found one that was for a childerns hospital. I'm unsure if the coin is special or something I can get for a donation. I know coins can be printed online, but I like the idea of giving to a cause at the same time. The coin doesn't have a tracking number like a travel bug so I am assuming that means its not a geocoin. Where can I get some??

Adult level items would be fine if they just weren't traded down along with everything else. I just can't see paying for and leaving stuff that people could go buy for themselves. I leave for kids and simply don't worry about the trading.

I will also never assume that leaving better items in one cache will result in finding a better stocked cache elsewhere.

I find if you want to leave something that will be appreciated, think signature items.

Edited by BlueDeuce