Motorola Bionic

goosefraba1

Howdy!

I just got my Motorola Bionic last week and found my first cache with it yesterday. This is a vast upgrade from using my Iphone 3g and Magellan GPSr hand in hand. The reception was within 5 feet on a cloudy day, near trees, and with the cell tower help turned off. I can turn the GPS on and off using widgets to save battery. The apps load instantly.... no more waiting for the app to load.

Has anybody else started using this device? I would definitely recommend it. :lol:

Let me know if you have any questions about it.

Howdy!

I just got my Motorola Bionic last week and found my first cache with it yesterday. This is a vast upgrade from using my Iphone 3g and Magellan GPSr hand in hand. The reception was within 5 feet on a cloudy day, near trees, and with the cell tower help turned off. I can turn the GPS on and off using widgets to save battery. The apps load instantly.... no more waiting for the app to load.

Has anybody else started using this device? I would definitely recommend it. :lol:

Let me know if you have any questions about it.

I'm expecting my Bionic (my first smart phone) to be delivered tomorrow, and I'm hoping to take it on its first geocaching expedition on Thursday. I'll still use my Oregon 550t as my workhorse GPSr, but I'm looking forward to checking out the Bionic's capabilities. I will definitely be watching this thread.

--Larry

I guess the only thing that I am worried about with mine is water damage.... I have the otterbox defender series protecting it from bumps (I highly recommend it). You might not like the big, bulky case.... but I have had my phones saved by them time and time again.

The Atrix is right on par with the Bionic pretty much. I haven't seen the two run caching programs side by side, but I am sure that they perform similarly.

One thing that I enjoy is that the compass is exactly on dial when looking for the cache. No jumping back and forth. Some programs have the "breadcrumb" ability too... so you can see where you have been... or if you are goin in circles.

Larry- PM me if you are having any troubles.... I doubt you will. It is pretty straight forward. I've never had a droid... it took me about 2 days to fully get used to everything.

For what it's worth (my opine) I own a Motorola DROID 2G and like every other Motorola product I've bought over the years, it's a piece of JUNK! Well built junk, though! I completely, totally, unquestionably HATE my unit, but I am locked into my contract until July of 2012. But don't let my opinion of Motorola dissuade you, I hate all "smartphones" especially if they use touch screens!

As for using the built-in GPS, I get nothing but complaints on my coordinates. When I compare them to Google Earth (and you'd think the two would match up!) my caches show up way off from their actual locations!

One reason is, a smartphone is not intended for precise geocaching. It is intended for vehicle navigation, which doesn't need pinpoint accuracy.

You don't know how many times I REALLY REALLY think about smashing my DROID against a brick wall!!!!!!!!!!!! But it makes for a decent very expensive mp3 player and email device...

For Geocaching, you might be better off purchasing an inexpensive basic handheld unit with a decent compass and high sensitive receiver with as many channels as possible...

Good LUCK with your Bionic, you'll need lots of LUCK!!!!

Dasecurityguy

Culver City, CA.

I use the Motorola Atrix, and it is a great geocacher. I use it on the fly, or if I get to a place where I have not downloaded any caches to my workhorse Garmin 450. It works really good.

This is one of the reasons I decided to buy my Bionic. I was caching with a friend a couple of weeks ago, and he was able to get cache information on his phone that I didn't have on my 550t.

I guess the only thing that I am worried about with mine is water damage.... I have the otterbox defender series protecting it from bumps (I highly recommend it). You might not like the big, bulky case.... but I have had my phones saved by them time and time again.

I plan on keeping my phone tucked safely away in my backpack when I'm on the trail and continue to rely on my 550t when crashing through the underbrush or fording the streams. When I'm on the trails, I'm planning on using the phone only when there's a safe opportunity to use it. I've had expensive/fragile gear damaged from careless outdoor use in the past, and don't want that to happen with this expensive phone.

One thing that I enjoy is that the compass is exactly on dial when looking for the cache. No jumping back and forth. Some programs have the "breadcrumb" ability too... so you can see where you have been... or if you are goin in circles.

Which app(s) are you using for this? Any recommendations?

Larry- PM me if you are having any troubles.... I doubt you will. It is pretty straight forward. I've never had a droid... it took me about 2 days to fully get used to everything.

Thanks, I'll keep your offer in mind. My first outing with the Bionic will be Thursday, with a friend who's an old pro at using his Droid 3. I'll let you know how the shakedown cruise works out.

My bionic is blazing fast and accurate but battery life is insufficient for a decent hike.

That battery life thing is another reason I'm planning to mostly rely on my trusty 550t and not the phone. I also ordered a car charger for the phone, which should help.

--Larry

For what it's worth (my opine) I own a Motorola DROID 2G and like every other Motorola product I've bought over the years, it's a piece of JUNK! Well built junk, though! I completely, totally, unquestionably HATE my unit, but I am locked into my contract until July of 2012. But don't let my opinion of Motorola dissuade you, I hate all "smartphones" especially if they use touch screens!

My GPSr for the last few years is a Garmin 550t, which has a touchscreen, and I'm used to using that. Hopefully, I'll also be able to adapt to the Bionic's touchscreen.

As for using the built-in GPS, I get nothing but complaints on my coordinates. When I compare them to Google Earth (and you'd think the two would match up!) my caches show up way off from their actual locations!

One reason is, a smartphone is not intended for precise geocaching. It is intended for vehicle navigation, which doesn't need pinpoint accuracy.

Guess I'll find out for myself starting Thursday. :P

--Larry

My bionic is blazing fast and accurate but battery life is insufficient for a decent hike.

That battery life thing is another reason I'm planning to mostly rely on my trusty 550t and not the phone. I also ordered a car charger for the phone, which should help.

--Larry

They also make battery extenders.... but honestly I think the battery life is pretty decent if you conserve it. Say.... get a reading every 1/8th mile or so until you are within a hundred feet. I mean you dont have to constantly keep the GPS on. I have a widget on mine that I can turn the gps on and off easily. Also, the app that I am using turns the gps off when out of the app. Considering how fast the apps load, this is perfect for battery conservation.

They also make battery extenders....

I wasn't able to find a battery extender for the Bionic. Of course, I'm a newbie when it comes to smart phones, and maybe extenders for other models will fit mine. I didn't want to take the chance of ordering one without knowing whether it would work in the phone I ordered. Can anyone point me to a battery extender that's known to work with my soon-to-arrive phone?

but honestly I think the battery life is pretty decent if you conserve it. Say.... get a reading every 1/8th mile or so until you are within a hundred feet. I mean you dont have to constantly keep the GPS on. I have a widget on mine that I can turn the gps on and off easily. Also, the app that I am using turns the gps off when out of the app. Considering how fast the apps load, this is perfect for battery conservation.

I'm also a complete newbie in regard to apps for smart phones (since this will be my first one, and it hasn't arrived yet). What GPS widget and geocaching app would you recommend?

Thanks for all the help; this definitely feels like back-to-school time for me.

--Larry

You don't know how many times I REALLY REALLY think about smashing my DROID against a brick wall!!!!!!!!!!!! But it makes for a decent very expensive mp3 player and email device...

For Geocaching, you might be better off purchasing an inexpensive basic handheld unit with a decent compass and high sensitive receiver with as many channels as possible...

Good LUCK with your Bionic, you'll need lots of LUCK!!!!

Dasecurityguy

Culver City, CA.

It sounds like the droid is just not suited for you. I tested my Bionic GPSr against my Magellan explorist and the Bionic won.... albeit I wasn't under heavy vegetation, but the sky was quite cloudy. With a 1.2 Ghz processor, the apps are very speedy on the phone. Personally, I will probably use the droid for more urban/ park caches. The backpacking caches will probably use the droid at the trailhead and occasionally to get better bearings (just have to save the cache info and map before losing cell signal)and when within 100 feet of the cache because the compass is better. Everything in between I will leave up to my Magellan.

They also make battery extenders....

I wasn't able to find a battery extender for the Bionic. Of course, I'm a newbie when it comes to smart phones, and maybe extenders for other models will fit mine. I didn't want to take the chance of ordering one without knowing whether it would work in the phone I ordered. Can anyone point me to a battery extender that's known to work with my soon-to-arrive phone?

but honestly I think the battery life is pretty decent if you conserve it. Say.... get a reading every 1/8th mile or so until you are within a hundred feet. I mean you dont have to constantly keep the GPS on. I have a widget on mine that I can turn the gps on and off easily. Also, the app that I am using turns the gps off when out of the app. Considering how fast the apps load, this is perfect for battery conservation.

I'm also a complete newbie in regard to apps for smart phones (since this will be my first one, and it hasn't arrived yet). What GPS widget and geocaching app would you recommend?

Thanks for all the help; this definitely feels like back-to-school time for me.

--Larry

The GPS widget is already on the phone's memory. To put it on a home page, just hold your finger down on an empty space on one of the home screens (there are 5 home screens). A box should pop up that says [widgets, shortcuts, folders, wallpapers]. Click the widgets. Scroll down and you should see "GPS toggle".Click that and it should appear on the homescreen you selected. Personally, I placed mine beside the caching app that I use.

As far as apps to use for caching... there are several. The original geocaching app from Groundspeak is alright. I had it on my iPhone... I'm sure most people have seen it or heard about it. It features just about everything that you would find on the geocaching website.... plus the compass... and paperless caching/logging. I feel like Groundspeak app is still good, but has room for improvement.

One of the beautiful things about android, though, is the ability of open-sourcing (several people banding together for projects across the globe creating new material for free). I don't think I am allowed to put this out there or not without being smited by the forum gods. So, I will pm you the app that I use. I would just say that the open-sourcing app is a lot sexier looking and has several options not offered on the Groundspeak app. Keep in mind that I had the Groundspeak app on my iPhone. :) .... I bought it once, will not pay for it again until it is the best app out there for caching.

This will solve your battery problem:

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

For a little over sixteen bucks, too.

Any 5V output battery pack with a micro USB connector will work on your phone, it doesn't need to be a Motorola Bionic Droid - specific battery pack.

I use a 4800mAh one with my HTC Inspire 4G. I just toss it in my backpack with a cord coming out and run that cord down one of the backpack straps, so it is available whenever I need it. With that battery pack and my external bluetooth GPS (a Qstarz BT-Q818XT), I can run my phone's backlight on full intensity all the time, and using the NeonGeo app (light years better than the "official" app), it's the best GPS I have ever owned. Way better than anything Garmin or Magellan makes.

Edited by michaelnel

The GPS widget is already on the phone's memory.... Personally, I placed mine beside the caching app that I use.

Thanks for the tip. That's one of the first customizations I'll make once the phone finally arrives (I'm sitting here waiting for the FedEx truck to show up :P).

As far as apps to use for caching... there are several.

I've been investigating geocaching apps for the past couple of days. I appreciate your offer to help, and any recommendations you can send me.

--Larry

This will solve your battery problem:

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

OK, now I understand. I was thinking a battery extender was simply a higher-capacity battery that replaced the OEM version. Thanks for the recommendation. And I have been looking to the NeonGeo app (as well as the "official" app). Looks like a winner!

--Larry

As far as the battery extender goes, I might be doing this to my bionic.... I keep it in my otterbox defender case and would really be up on the extended battery mod.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-bionic-accessories/171646-bionic-extended-battery-otterbox-dremel.html

I just asked in that forum where they purchased the battery extender and will hopefully get a reply soon.

This is what you were thinking of Larry... a larger actual battery. Would have to get the defender case, though, to keep it tucked in.

Edited by goosefraba1

As far as the battery extender goes, I might be doing this to my bionic.... I keep it in my otterbox defender case and would really be up on the extended battery mod.

http://www.droidforu...box-dremel.html

I just asked in that forum where they purchased the battery extender and will hopefully get a reply soon.

This is what you were thinking of Larry... a larger actual battery. Would have to get the defender case, though, to keep it tucked in.

That does like like a clever solution to the battery-life problem. On the other hand, I'm so mechanically inept that I'd be more likely to turn my Bionic into a voided-warranty brick if I tried that. :lol:

--Larry

http://www.droidforu...box-dremel.html

That does like like a clever solution to the battery-life problem. On the other hand, I'm so mechanically inept that I'd be more likely to turn my Bionic into a voided-warranty brick if I tried that. :lol:

--Larry

True.... basically it is just cutting your back cover to fit the extended battery. You can buy another back cover from verizon for like $5 if you don't like it.

And I have been looking to the NeonGeo app (as well as the "official" app). Looks like a winner!

It is. The developer is extremely dedicated (and is an active geocacher with several thousand finds). The rate at which he is adding features (ones that are USEFUL and work properly) is astounding.

Here's a screenshot:

ss-480-0-0.jpg

... and another, showing one of my caches in Google Satellite view (way better than Garmin's BirdPoop:

screenshot1.png

And I have been looking to the NeonGeo app (as well as the "official" app). Looks like a winner!

It is. The developer is extremely dedicated (and is an active geocacher with several thousand finds). The rate at which he is adding features (ones that are USEFUL and work properly) is astounding.

Here's a screenshot:

I'm convinced. NeonGeo will definitely be joining me and my Bionic on Thursday.

--Larry

I have used the Motorola Atrix 4G quite a bit for caching, and the battery life seems okay to me for a smart phone. I've had two Motorola's and they both worked very very well. I use the "radar" app, which is now "GPS Status" app I think. I use both the c:geo and the official app and I like them both. I am going to download "NeonGeo" also, that looks good. The Atrix really works great, usually if it says I'm standing on the cache, it is within a meter or two.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-bionic-accessories/171646-bionic-extended-battery-otterbox-dremel.html

So... went to the Verizon store today. Said they could order the battery extender for 40 bucks.... or it is on amazon for 50.

FOund 2 more today with the Bionic.... still getting used to it. Just realized that it tells you through c: geo how many satellites you are receiving.

There are several apps that will also provide that information. GPS Essentials tells you how many satellites you're receiving, shows how many were used to get the current fix, and shows a graphic of their positions in the sky.

--Larry