Unbelievable logs

Cyclops

Actually I can believe them. As I received logs on three of my Earthcaches. Below are the parts of their logs that is going to be the reason I'm going to delete all three logs.

"Also not here to take a test so this is my log. Not good for you to bad...[8D]"

"Also not here to take a test so I have included a pic to show we were here.

If that's not good proof we stopped by too bad.[8D]"

"Also not here to take a test so I have included a pic to show we were here.

If that's not good proof we stopped by to bad.[8D]"

I'm not perfect in regards to tracking logs against answers. The logs are dated 9/1/2011. They logs six of my other ECs in June. I can't remember if they supplied answers to that batch. At least those logs didn't include any comments like those above. Since I can't be sure that they didn't answer these six I'm only going to delete three logs.

Those of us that develop ECs know there's extra work that goes into them. They're supposed to be educational. Can't learn anything if you don't answer the questions.

Those of us that develop ECs know there's extra work that goes into them. They're supposed to be educational. Can't learn anything if you don't answer the questions.

Some people don't want to be educated. Geocaching is not supposed to be educational. Some people don't know the difference, and this is the result.

Can't learn anything if you don't answer the questions.

That's not true. We just can't show you that we've learned something if we don't answer the questions! Those who visit your Earthcaches can still learn something, even if they don't answer the questions and log a find.

But back to the point of your post: I cannot believe anyone would blatantly post logs like that. That's terrible! That takes a lot of nerve on their part. Good for you for not allowing that to continue.

Some people don't want to be educated. Geocaching is not supposed to be educational. Some people don't know the difference, and this is the result.

They do not need to know the difference between a physical geocache and an Earthcache. They just need to be willing and able to read. If they are not, they have an urgent need to be educated indeed.

Cezanne

I would delete the logs. They obviously don't understand the Earthcache concept.

I agree that the cacher likely doesn't understand the educational purposes of Earthcaches. While their logs are rather snarky, consider taking the high road. I would delete their logs but also send them an email explaining the concept of Earthcaching and politely inviting them to relog their "Found its" if they include the answers to the questions. At least this might prevent them from leaving these types of logs on future Earthcaches that they visit.

Edited by CanadianRockies

Do the people that post logs like that realize that their logs are the only way most geocachers will ever know them?

I guess most of them will not care. There are lots of cachers who openly admit that they think that ECs should not involve answering questions, but only visit a location and proof that one has been there.

Cezanne

personally i couldn't care less if they learned something or not, its their loss...what their log shows is lack of respect for those that take the time to develop those EC's...if you can't be bothered to follow the rules, yes games have rules too, just don't do them

i have a feeling those are the same people that would log a find just because they saw the cache but couldn't get it to sign the log

Edited by t4e

While not as good as the OP's logs, I just got this one this evening:

XXXXXX found Hannibal's Lovers Leap (Earthcache) at 10/9/2011

Log Date: 10/9/2011

I do not know the answers

Seriously? If you don't know the answers, don't log the find!

Needless to say, I deleted the log.

I have gotten a couple that amount to "TFTEC"...

...odd part was they answered the questions with more detail then I really needed...more time in the email to me than the log...but, to each their own. Of note, I an usually pretty favorable to keep logs if they are able to show they made a serious attempt at answering the questions. There have been a couple I have deleted after the usually email clarification...but not many...

I have gotten a couple that amount to "TFTEC"...

...odd part was they answered the questions with more detail then I really needed...more time in the email to me than the log...but, to each their own. Of note, I an usually pretty favorable to keep logs if they are able to show they made a serious attempt at answering the questions. There have been a couple I have deleted after the usually email clarification...but not many...

I think for the most part I'm more detailed in my e-mails to the owners than the log on the cache for a couple reasons. It's redundant for me to go over the glories of the earth cache in both places. Sometimes there's some site specific information I want the cache owner to know too that I weave in there that could be a spoiler for other finders. Usually when I weed out the answers, glories and spoilers I end up with not much else to say on the cache unless it was a particularly moving experience for earth caches. I never just put TFTC though.

It wasn't an earthcache guys but today set a new record for brief logs. Nothing, except the found designation on one of our fairly nice non-earthcaches. That's short! :ph34r:

As someone around here keeps saying, don't let it go to your head, it's a game. :lol:

Edited by hzoi

It wasn't an earthcache guys but today set a new record for brief logs. Nothing, except the found designation on one of our fairly nice non-earthcaches. That's short! :ph34r:

As someone around here keeps saying, don't let it go to your head, it's a game. :lol:

Come on hzoi. Let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill! :lol: That was such a cheap shot, that I must admit that KK is one of the better EarthCachers in my area, and I always enjoy their logs on my listings. I've learned things from that wet bird, like sending a thank you for visiting our EC notes to finders. :)

Hang on now. Not meant as a cheap shot at all, and I tried to make sure it didn't come across as one. Just trying to be humorous about a topic that used to irk me as well.

If it did come across as a cheap shot, then KK, my apologies.

Edited by hzoi

Hang on now. Not meant as a cheap shot at all, and I tried to make sure it didn't come across as one. Just trying to be humorous about a topic that used to irk me as well.

If it did come across as a cheap shot, then KK, my apologies.

Not your comment, mine. The one about the mole hill, another famous KK quote. Just an attempt at humor. I enjoy KK's EC's and the posts that he leaves on ours. We don't have many EC owners around here. :D

Nice!

It didn't go to anyone's head, especially mine!

I am at the far end of the spectrum of those who criticize logs and want to get out their red pencils. If anything, I have been criticized for being too lenient. While saying 'nothing' is short, it's fine and perfectly proper. Usually a reference to the saying of "don't let it go to your head" means someone being overly proud or bragging about some feat. Just curious, as to where it fits with my fun intended example?

Yes, I agree it's a game whom some people take much too seriously! "Don't let it "go to your head", never used the expression regarding caching! :ph34r:

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

"Don't let it "go to your head", never used the expression! :ph34r:

Never, you say? :blink:

Well said Manville. That's why we say IT"S A GAME! Don't let it go to your head. It sort of reminds me of what a very good friend, who us retired military, once said, "there is nothing worse than a private with a clipboard!" Unfortunately, in our GAME, there are a few of those privates. :)

:P

Edited by hzoi

"Don't let it "go to your head", never used the expression! :ph34r:

Never, you say? :blink:

Well said Manville. That's why we say IT"S A GAME! Don't let it go to your head. It sort of reminds me of what a very good friend, who us retired military, once said, "there is nothing worse than a private with a clipboard!" Unfortunately, in our GAME, there are a few of those privates. :)

:P

Keeps saying "don't let it go to your head"? Keeps saying?????

While we may and can differ regarding any topic on this forum and yes, it can get heated, why the personal aspect?

For your benefit, I changed my note regarding using the expression "don't let it go to your head". While I cannot remember when I used it orally, I know I have never used it in relation to caching or to put someone down. Kidding a friend yes, but using it as you did in a negative mocking, manner, no!

Your use of the expression is still out of it's proper context. It just doesn't fit the discussion or use of the phrase, "it's a game!"

P.S. Saying it wasn't a cheap shot doesn't change the fact it was a cheap shot! Wouldn't it be better to stay on topic?

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

I must be spending too much time with the teens I teach---I missed this exchange becoming heated entirely. (The kids talk to each other like that all the time, it seems! I've learned to let the small stuff go in one ear and out the other).

I hope everyone has had their say now, and we are returned to the regularly scheduled program?

I agree. All the vitriol was unnecessary.

I don't understand them big words that I would have to Google. But I know that you always take time to log your EC finds and tell about them in your posts. I too try and leave a nice post that discribes our finds. You know my dog's account, THFC is about all you can get him to post. I am sure that his answers are close to mine before we submit. Anyway, I didn't mean to PYO in anyway. I'm just happy that our EC's are visited.