FTF dilemma

wildchld97

Ok..I know this has been discussed ad nauseum...but I think this is a new twist.

I'm having a small event. As one of the smaller prizes, I thought I'd give the person the coord's to a cache that I'd place beforehand so they could be the "official" FTF when it's published that day.

Is that going to tick some people off?

Ok..I know this has been discussed ad nauseum...but I think this is a new twist.

I'm having a small event. As one of the smaller prizes, I thought I'd give the person the coord's to a cache that I'd place beforehand so they could be the "official" FTF when it's published that day.

Probably. But who cares besides obsessive-compulsive FTF types? Nobody else will.

Probably...but that doesnt matter.

Am I right in thinking that they will actually find the cache before it is published or will they have to wait until it is officially published before they hunt. If it is the latter I hope they are reasonably close because some of the most committed FTFers can be out there pretty quick.

Probably. But who cares besides obsessive-compulsive FTF types? Nobody else will.

I did a simmilar thing, and got some nasty "Notes" on my cache page suggesting cheeting. I deleted those, and asked the "noters" to discuss it either on our local forum, or here. They never did.

Ok..I didn't want the cache to be published after the event. I wanted it published like..an hour or so after the event started. I can't say for sure, but I think the reviewer would be ok with that if I put my request in the reviewer note. So..it's not as if I'm allowing someone to have the coord's before it's published. I'm just thinking that if it's published at the same time as the event, everyone really has the same chance. The person who wins the coord's at the event might have a 10 minute advance. lol

I went to an event once where as part of the raffle (usually using donated prizes) the organizer drew a name for the right to claim FTF. Maybe you could do something like that so that the FTFers that don't attend your event don't get bent about not being treated fairly...

Edited by FobesMan

Ok..I didn't want the cache to be published after the event. I wanted it published like..an hour or so after the event started. I can't say for sure, but I think the reviewer would be ok with that if I put my request in the reviewer note. So..it's not as if I'm allowing someone to have the coord's before it's published. I'm just thinking that if it's published at the same time as the event, everyone really has the same chance. The person who wins the coord's at the event might have a 10 minute advance. lol

Don't worry about giving out coord's before publishing. It is your cache. You can do as you please. And if the winner finds the cache first s/he is the FTF. Doesn't matter what the others think. It would be a nice curtesy to post some info about this fact on the cache page so FTF hounds don't 'wast' their time, but that is more that sufficient.

I went to an event where one of the prizes was advance notice of a cache. I can't imagine anyone complaining but it would not matter if they do. Still, a ten minute window would not seem like much of a prize. Perhaps the winner is not able to rush off, the event goes later than expected, or it takes time to gather the kids. Maybe the winner walked or biked to the event or met a long lost lover there. Give the winner at least a day!

Edited by geodarts

Heck yeah you'll tick people off! If I were the winner of that "official" FTF, I'd be ashamed of myself if I took advantage of it. I'd rather get FTF on my own merits, not because someone handed me an advantage.

How can there be an "official" something that isn't even official?

For most people FTF is the first person to find the cache. But for some people FTF is a sort of a side competition. For these people a FTF is "fair" when everyone has a equal chance to get the FTF. Never mind that there is no "equal chance". It's not only that premium members who set up instant notification get an advantage, but those who are able to have these notification sent to their cell phones have more of an advantage. And then there are those who are able to drop whatever they are doing when they get the notification on their cell phone and go after the cache. And being near the cache has a big advantage. I've beaten out some FTF hounds without even getting an instant notification because I happened to be very close to the cache when I saw it appear on Geocaching.com. Of course, some caches give an advantage to anyone who is willing to hike 12 miles for an FTF or to someone who is able to solve a difficult puzzle in a short time.

Still there are those who believe that some advantages are "fair" and some are "unfair". So, yes, they will be ticked off. Of course you can always say that anyone who comes to the event has the same chance of winning the raffle - so it really is "fair". But that would just be playing along with their game.

For most people FTF is the first person to find the cache. But for some people FTF is a sort of a side competition. For these people a FTF is "fair" when everyone has a equal chance to get the FTF. Never mind that there is no "equal chance". It's not only that premium members who set up instant notification get an advantage, but those who are able to have these notification sent to their cell phones have more of an advantage. And then there are those who are able to drop whatever they are doing when they get the notification on their cell phone and go after the cache. And being near the cache has a big advantage. I've beaten out some FTF hounds without even getting an instant notification because I happened to be very close to the cache when I saw it appear on Geocaching.com. Of course, some caches give an advantage to anyone who is willing to hike 12 miles for an FTF or to someone who is able to solve a difficult puzzle in a short time.

Still there are those who believe that some advantages are "fair" and some are "unfair". So, yes, they will be ticked off. Of course you can always say that anyone who comes to the event has the same chance of winning the raffle - so it really is "fair". But that would just be playing along with their game.

Any truly addicted FTF hound reading this thread would probably consider it a real achievement to find out where your event is going to take place and what date and then make sure they were in the area at the time of publishing to see if they can jump in for the FTF. I can just picture the scene with cachers hidden around the area with Phones all beeping at the same time and a melee around an old tree in the woods.

Seeings that Im attending the event can I have the coords first? Just teasing. Since its a prize then I don't see a problem with it. now if you give them to your buddy 3 days before then I could see how that would be unfair but my father hides caches and i know if I asked he would even show me where they where the cache was so I guess its a double edge sword. BTW did you get my email? I just hit reply then I thought well maybe you have to send it directly from your profile. mmmm

Seeings that Im attending the event can I have the coords first? Just teasing. Since its a prize then I don't see a problem with it. now if you give them to your buddy 3 days before then I could see how that would be unfair but my father hides caches and i know if I asked he would even show me where they where the cache was so I guess its a double edge sword. BTW did you get my email? I just hit reply then I thought well maybe you have to send it directly from your profile. mmmm

Well, considering everything that has been said so far, I'm probably going to lean towards arranging for the cache to just be published the morning of the event. I'll make sure everyone gets the coord's and the cache will be hidden nearby. Sometimes the FTF stuff boggles my mind...but I'm glad I asked. I'll stick with the regular SWAG and leave the FTF's to fate. lol.

Oh..and yes I did get your email..lol just haven't had a chance to reply yet. We definitely have to hook up. My schedule is mostly open.

......to just be published the morning of the event. I'll make sure everyone gets the coord's

Keep in mind that the cache may not be listed just as you want. A reviewer's job is a pretty big one. He/she will probably try (they are pretty good at that), but things happen....

Some of you may be interested in this Feedback suggestion, to allow CO's control over the timing of their cache publications:

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/1269457-time-controlled-publish-of-new-caches

I did that at my January event. We had lots of raffle prizes, one was a print out of a traditional that was about .25 away that would be published 2 days later. The person who won it shared it with another group. The other was a puzzle cache. People seemed to enjoy it and I heard no negative feedback.

......to just be published the morning of the event. I'll make sure everyone gets the coord's

Keep in mind that the cache may not be listed just as you want. A reviewer's job is a pretty big one. He/she will probably try (they are pretty good at that), but things happen....

Oh that's totally understood. It's worth a shot though. If it happens..great. If not..no sweat. It's not really a big deal.

your cache, you can do what you like.

I gotta say, if I entered a raffle at an event and won the FTF I'd be disappointed. Then I'd tape it to a wall someplace so everyone could have at it.

That is kind of what I did. I posted the coordinates for my unpublished cache to the event page about 2h before the event. Several people found it before the event, and of course, one of them were the FTF. After the event, I submited the cache and had it published (I had already asked our reviewer to do a proximity check for me).

I gotta say, if I entered a raffle at an event and won the FTF I'd be disappointed. Then I'd tape it to a wall someplace so everyone could have at it.

That is kind of what I did. I posted the coordinates for my unpublished cache to the event page about 2h before the event. Several people found it before the event, and of course, one of them were the FTF. After the event, I submited the cache and had it published (I had already asked our reviewer to do a proximity check for me).

My point was that there is no value in the FTF. Particularly if you take the "fair competition" out of it.

Like, perhaps, wanting to attend the event themselves in which case they're probably not going to be near their computer to publish the cache at a specific time.

My point was that there is no value in the FTF. Particularly if you take the "fair competition" out of it.

It doesn't light my fire either. Bottom line, first to find "rules" vary from person to person, and that includes events and the caches that surround them. Heck, I've known people that count being the first person to show up at an event as a FTF.

I would assume it was a free raffle. If I paid for the ticket and ended up winning a set of coordinates, yes I would be disappointed. A free ticket for a door prize style raffle. Not a problem.

When people celebrate FTF, they are celebrating the competition to find it after it has been published. Celebrating a FTF before publication is similar to finding your own cache and jumping for joy. :D

Our local Reviewers often visit our events. If your Reviewers do the same, maybe you could bribe them to publish the coords during the event? Perhaps timed so that something important is going on? Even better if there is no prior notice. The event is in full swing, then all the iPhone cachers start beeping, chirping and/or vibrating as the publication notices roll in. Then those who haven't been bitten by the FTF bug could giggle at those who were, as they fidget, trying desperately to not look impolite by rushing off during your event. :ph34r:

Our local Reviewers often visit our events. If your Reviewers do the same, maybe you could bribe them to publish the coords during the event? Perhaps timed so that something important is going on? Even better if there is no prior notice. The event is in full swing, then all the iPhone cachers start beeping, chirping and/or vibrating as the publication notices roll in. Then those who haven't been bitten by the FTF bug could giggle at those who were, as they fidget, trying desperately to not look impolite by rushing off during your event. :ph34r:

[giggle] I really don't think that keystone can be bribed too easily...unless I have a case of ammo cans full of swag to offer. :lol: