"Dramatic" Caches

Fandango739

One of my companions is involved with a non-profit theater company. The company is planning a play based on a walk in a park. They would like to link one or more geocaches to the play. The play would run for a week in one location, but then would tour.

I am hoping for advice on what options might be open for this. I know about traditional caches, but I don’t know much about event caches.

Is it possible for an event cache to travel (perhaps given that all coord sets are attatched to the cache write-up)? How long can an event cache remain active?

We could plant a traditional cache somewhere and have caching viewers go find it before viewing the play...but are there other caches or cache related things that could be done or tied in?

The play isn’t taking place for a while and we are just planning ahead, but I need to present ideas by the end of next month.

Thanks for the thoughts!

We could plant a traditional cache somewhere and have caching viewers go find it before viewing the play...but are there other caches or cache related things that could be done or tied in?

I could be wrong, but this almost sounds like an agenda -- a six-letter "four-letter" word in geocaching.

If a cache cannot be used to promote things as AIDS awareness or cancer awareness, I do not think that theater or a particular play awareness would be too much different.

The play could promote geocaching, but a cache cannot (I don't think) promote a play.

EDIT: I can't count letters, either. Changed five to six :o

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Okay. This is exactly why I put this in the newb section. I AM still learning!

Thanks for letting me know about the agenda rule! So, it isn't just the 'commercial' aspect that can run caches amuck. Anything with an 'agenda'....

Oh boy, I do sense that maybe that rule could get very tedious.

But could it not be said that any cache placed on the property of any non-profit might serve to bring attention to that non-profit, thus fulfills an agenda?

I'm not meaning to be contentious on any level, I'm just trying to figure things out before I put something in a review que.

But could it not be said that any cache placed on the property of any non-profit might serve to bring attention to that non-profit, thus fulfills an agenda?

Not sure how manty caches are located on such properties. But the rule applies mainly to the cache, not the location. Yes it can get a bit silly somemtimes but as one reviewer wisely said to me. "your motives may be pure, but that doesn't stop the next person from abusing the game"

In addition to the agenda rule - which basically is to keep caching from being used for most advertising or other promotions, the cache could not travel (permanency guideline). But caches can be put on the grounds of organizations or businesses as long as it has permission and the cache description is not phrased as an agenda.

This gives you room to be creative. The first thing I thought about was doing a cache that would relate to the play. If the play is based on a walk in the park, you could do a cache (or a series of caches, a multicache, a Wherigo, or a letterbox) that would take people on such a walk and tell a story related to the play. Again, it could not be used to promote the play. . . . but some of the best caches I have done have told stories at particular locations and added some creative twists along the way.

In any event, most reviewers are glad to give you advice if you are wondering if a particular project might run up against a guideline.

I think this is a question for Groundspeak, not your reviewer. I know caches have been published to tie in with events or exhibits. There were some related to the King Tut exhibit in Philadelphia and series related to art in Seattle I believe. Other examples are the Dinosaur Train caches and the Nature Ric ones. Tourist trails are another example but all of these I believe need explicit prior approval by Groundspeak.