Member count.

Gee Ode

I posted a poll about how many people are planning to get the membership. Later on I made a very rough guess that something like 70% of active users in the last 7 days worked out to $50,000.

I was chided for being so rude as to assume that I should know how much money J will make, even thought I didn't mean it that way.

I would bet that you may get the same response for your idea.

Rob

The better question to ask is - Why?

Just FYI - that isn't the number of registered users on Geocaching.com. It's just a number of folks who have logged in to the forums. And many of those were added towards the beginning when I had autologins to the geocaching.com site. Since then I removed it because having the two sites so intertwined meant that if the forums went down, geocaching.com went down. So even if the number was there, it would be inaccurate.

Jeremy

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

The better question to ask is - Why?

Just FYI - that isn't the number of registered users on Geocaching.com. It's just a number of folks who have logged in to the forums. And many of those were added towards the beginning when I had autologins to the geocaching.com site. Since then I removed it because having the two sites so intertwined meant that if the forums went down, geocaching.com went down. So even if the number was there, it would be inaccurate.

Jeremy

Yep I know. I thought I saw a number somewhere reflecting the number of actual members. I used the ACTIVE members number as a ball park figure of people who are regular users of the site.

In addition, I didn't know anything about the Charter Membership till I stumbled across a posting for it (I thought Novell was bad for stealth advertising!).

Based on everything I figured that a good number to use for Active users who know about the Charter Membership would be that number. This was all guestimate work.

Anyways, My poll is showing that 90% of respondents will have memberships. The question is how many is 90%. If you were to send an announcment email or put a link on the main page besides your small banner ad then you might be able to get more people signing up!

Why did I do the estimate? Why Not? The data was there and I can multipy! I don't want to see your balance book! I just want to see you make your first Million!!!!

Rob

The way I see it (and I don't care if or ifn't Jeremy posts his new found salary, but playing the math game is fun):

Forum users probably account for about 10% of active geocachers. IF that's true, then only 10% of active geocachers answered the polls. Since I would assume that the majority of charter members are active forum users, so lets assume 90%. If 90% of registered users creates an income of $50K, then let's assume only 10% of those are forum users, thus paying members. That brings the $$ down to $5k.

Anyhoo...

In combination with Jeremy's already prestigious Groundspeak job, he'll be able to have a nice account at Starbucks. After all, that's what REALLY matters, right? icon_biggrin.gif

Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

The way I see it (and I don't care if or ifn't Jeremy posts his new found salary, but playing the math game is fun):

Forum users probably account for about 10% of active geocachers. IF that's true, then only 10% of active geocachers answered the polls. Since I would assume that the majority of charter members are active forum users, so lets assume 90%. If 90% of registered users creates an income of $50K, then let's assume only 10% of those are forum users, thus paying members. That brings the $$ down to $5k.

Anyhoo...

In combination with Jeremy's already prestigious Groundspeak job, he'll be able to have a nice account at Starbucks. After all, that's what REALLY matters, right? icon_biggrin.gif

Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

quote:
Originally posted by VentureForth:

Forum users probably account for about 10% of active geocachers. IF that's true, then only 10% of active geocachers answered the polls. Since I Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

Biggest problem I see is a lack of marketing on Jeremy's part. If I where him (and I'm not) I'd use the email list on a weekly basis to stay in touch with my users. I'd let them know about the Membership offering.

I found out about it by accident BECAUSE of the forums. That dinky little banner ad that flips between Membership and T-Shirts caught my eye ONLY after I tried looking for it.

In fact I had trouble signing up for a membership because there is NO link to it!!! It should be on the left hand side under "DISCUSS GEOCACHING"!!!!

Stealth Marketing I guess!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_600.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by T-storm:

I thought that I did get an e-mail describing the membership option? I kinda thought it came with one of the "latest caches" type messages. I can't check now because I deleted it. Maybe it only went to those who have asked to receive new cache updates?

Your not losing it T (well, maybe you are, but we'all luv ya anyway!), I got the email too.

Illegitimus non carborundum!