End of a geostreak

Roman!

I hit day 125 today and I'll be stopping very soon, I didn't purposefully do it, I started caching and after 30 days realised I'd started a streak so then I decided I'd go to 100 days but I did it more challenging and got as many as I could each day so after 4 months despite doing a streak I hit the 1000 cache mark, now the closest walkable enjoyable set for me and the dog is 7 miles or so away and it's not feesible to drive it everyday! I think I'll hit 130 and then stop, I was gonna stop today but I have caching plans tomorrow and I'd rather a round number. If money were no object id keep going as I still enjoy it just as much!

Well, mine started on 1/13/2011 when a fellow cacher told me about a Calendar Challenge. As I had just come off of an impressive slump my calendar was entirely empty and so I started my streak. First I hit the 100 day challenge mark.... and kept going. Then came 200. Then I caught up with some days I already filled in on my calendar, but one year was so close. This couldn't, shouldn't have to continue. I would actually plan my daily cache before looking at what I had to do for work each day. I didn't have a problem. I could stop any time I wanted to! Finally I had determined I would stop at 366 and so on 1/13/2012 I stopped.... or tried to. There were these voices in my head that said I had to keep going.... I couldn't sleep.... I tried an intervention but it didn't work.... perhaps an exorcism?

I don't know which is more impressive... my current streak or my prior slump! If only the voices would stop.....

366%20proof.JPG

I started with a goal of 10 days, then 20, then 30. Next came a goal of 50, 100, 150, now 200. After 200, I will go for 250, 300, and 366.

Breaking it up into smaller attainable goals was the key for me. It's fun. I cache on the way home from work. Depending on what time I leave determines my route home. I think the longest route I went home only added 5 miles to my 20 some mile commute already... I know most of the hiders in the area now, so just by reading their pages, I know what to look for (usually) and just seeing if I was right adds to the excitement!

I think I will be getting a FTF in the morning on the WAY to work in the morning though. Can't wait for after, it will get snatched up if it hasn't been this evening already. Off to check!

I started with a goal of 10 days, then 20, then 30. Next came a goal of 50, 100, 150, now 200. After 200, I will go for 250, 300, and 366.

Breaking it up into smaller attainable goals was the key for me. It's fun. I cache on the way home from work. Depending on what time I leave determines my route home. I think the longest route I went home only added 5 miles to my 20 some mile commute already... I know most of the hiders in the area now, so just by reading their pages, I know what to look for (usually) and just seeing if I was right adds to the excitement!

Don't forget the event you attended without leaving your house.

edit to add: Logging caches two years after they were archived and post-dating logs on caches you said you found earlier in the year probably helps keep a "streak" alive, too.

edited again to put sarcastic quotes around "streak"

Edited by hzoi

354 days and missed a day cause the ones near me now are high terrain or puzzles I haven't solved and I just didn't have time before going to work. So I gave up. Since this is the new leap year and something is coming up soon which will prevent me from continuing any streak for the next leap year I will not worry about stressing over it.

We noticed a couple years ago that we'd not missed a day in several weeks, so decided....let's see if we can keep it going. Now, at this point in our caching career, we'd found most of the stuff within 30+ miles, and were still teaching. There weren't many new cachers in the area at the time either, so new caches close to home were a rare thing. Still, we pressed on, driving to find one of a few caches close by, until one day after such a trip, we were passing a cache in a state park, "saving" it. We looked at each other and both said....this is dumb! What a waste of gas and time and all that! So we went and got that cache, thus ending a streak that lasted 77 days.

If others want to keep a streak going, more power to them. For us, it made no sense at that point and even with the lure of "century challenges," we have no desire to try and cache that many days in a row anymore. Lately, we've been trying to do other things non-caching and extend our non-caching days a bit longer, actually.

edit to add: Logging caches two years after they were archived and post-dating logs on caches you said you found earlier in the year probably helps keep a "streak" alive, too.

Stalker ! :D

Geeze. Maybe a shoulda counted that traveling cache that folks brought to my hospital room to keep my streak goin. At least they made me look around form my hospital bed and find it. :laughing: