Ammonium Sulfide glass ampoule

Fianccetto

Fragile glass capsules are not good in caches anyway but when containing horribly stinky, corrosive, irritant and highly flammable liquid (even in a small quantity) this is no joke.

I'd like to know if anyone else has found any of these in caches, please post here which cache and the date it was found.

Today I found this:

141tusl.jpg

In this cache ( Heartbreaker, GCYRMJ ) which was hidden on & under rocks and so the ampoule could easily have fallen out onto rocks and broken or been broken by anyone not knowing about it.

2rgesg1.jpg

I'd like to know if this is a one off or if the person who put this in the cache is leaving them in other caches. (It is not necessarily anyone who has signed either the paper or the online log, although some people might think that a stink bomb is a cool thing to leave in a cache, so it's possible it was left in ignorance rather than with malicious intent. Either way, I hope it stops.)

It's not recommended to sniff hydrogen sulphide which this liberates.

Oh yes, missed out that if you also have no sense of smell and are breathing this in, the hydrogen sulphide given off is very poisonous (potentially fatal) even in very small quantities/few parts per million. Not sure if, say, getting it spilt on clothing in the open air would be enough to harm someone seriously, but wouldn't like to test it out. Can't believe most people of my age were taught to make this stuff in chemistry lessons!

Edited by Fianccetto

Hmmm... whereas I agree it's not a great idea, I do think that calling it:

"Ammonium Sulfide glass ampoule"

is overhyping what I would call a "stink bomb" :unsure:

When I saw it, I didn't know ammonium sulfide (which is written on it) was the stink bomb stuff (I'd forgotten). I could see it was in glass (what I would have called a 'vial'). So I looked it up, and then found out/remembered it's stink bomb material.

So if anyone else finds one of these, they might not know it's a stink bomb, and it's them I wanted to hear from.

Not trying to over hype anything, but whoever put this in the cache has the rest of the box to dispose of...